The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I did not have to sell everything but had to live for some years with basic belongings (daily clothing, bed, chesterfield, table, chairs and utensils, no TV) and a guitar after I had left home... and wife. The only luxury thing I saved was stereo sound system with some vinyles.

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
Nope. Oddly enough I'm feeling pretty bare bones at the moment - probably because I'm not actually utilizing my CD collection.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Yes. Sold everything (except my wedding gift dining table.) came to Canada (Ottawa) with 2 suitcases each & a cat.
From Australia.

Reactions: mawmow and greco

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
When my ex and I split a little over a year ago she pretty much took EVERYTHING that wasn't junk. For example, we had three TV'S, two 32" and a 47"...she took them ALL. It's been a tough year but I'm proud to say that I've made steady progress. Most recently bought a car and started my own small business.

My ex? She's still EXACTLY where she was two weeks after we split...living in her friend's basement. Lol. ZERO progress...but she's got 3 TV'S!

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
I've been down to my last 10 grand and nuthin coming in but things have always turned around before disaster hits. Come one day they won't - too often living on the edge and your luck runs out.

That said though I got way too much stuff now and need to get rid of near all of it. I tend to give stuff away or just throw it out rather than sell it and deal with shitpoke low ball bottom feeders.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We downsized our house a couple years ago. Sold a bunch of stuff, donated a bunch of stuff, gave away a bunch of stuff, threw out a bunch of stuff. Still have too much stuff.

Pro tip: Buying guitars and amps is much easier than selling them.
I've realized the easiest way to have old guitars and amps is to never sell them.

·
Premium Member
11,865 Posts
I can't think about stuff and my constant accumulation without thinking of this:

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
No but the past few years we’ve become big garage salers as we try to declutter, simplify and ensure we don’t amass too much toys and stuff from my kid.
It’s become fun. We (me, wife and kid) compete with each other to see who can sell most.
I think it’s become a valuable learning lesson for my kid. She’s started to think about marketing our sales, and gets to keep the money from “her table “.
My wife and I both come from families of hoarders, we have to always be aware of that and keep it in check,

Reactions: StratCat

·
Registered
12,267 Posts
during the 10 yrs i lived in canada, i was down to nothing many times, and when i left, only had my clothes, tools, a guitar & amp, and $6k u.s. that she didn't know i had.
i only miss the dogs. everything else can be replaced. i've started over from nothin many times

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
No, but we're considering such a move.

When I was single I lived quite happily with very little. Moved once in one trip in my Volvo sedan, though to be fair it was crammed from the bike rack and roof rack and floor to ceiling inside. The trouble now is I don't know if I could live without such things as power tools, piano, garden tools...but I suppose if I had a shed or storage locker...

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,116 Posts
I'm a minimalist by nature and hate clutter... wifey not so much. I have a big rubber maid bin in the garage I call purgatory. I dump all or unused items in there and if wifey doesn't notice they're missing after several weeks they go in the garbage.

20 years ago when I moved out of my parents place I was in such a hurry I only took what I could carry. Had no plan and not much money. And when I joined the military did the same thing again.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I'm a minimalist by nature and hate clutter... wifey not so much. I have a big rubber maid bin in the garage I call purgatory. I dump all or unused items in there and if wifey doesn't notice they're missing after several weeks they go in the garbage.
In comparative fairness to your wife, I understand you may occasionally utilize the strategy of having others keep “your” amps close at hand as well. Wink wink , nudge nudge, say no more say no more

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Or sold off what was completely unnecessary and started over?
Pretty close. When we moved to NB a couple of years ago, we sold off all of our furniture except our new kingsize mattress and a little oak desk I have had for years. I also so off three guitars and just kept my 5th Avenue and my Traynor TMV10. We bought mostly off Kijiji to replace everything and ended up about even when all was said and done.

In the past I always rented a truck to move my furniture. It's a lot easier selling off everything and replacing it when you get there if the move is a long distance one.

Reactions: mawmow

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
In the past I always rented a truck to move my furniture. It's a lot easier selling off everything and replacing it when you get there if the move is a long distance one.
I would do this next time we move, or have an option for the buyers of our home to include furniture. The simple fact we’ve learned is, furniture that works in one house simply may not work/fit/look right in the next house.
2 yeas before we moved, my wife spent a tidy $10k or so decorating our living room in our last house with unique chairs with birds on them and other designer crap that looks stupid in our new open concept place. So it was a bigger waste than decorating usually is.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would do this next time we move, or have an option for the buyers of our home to include furniture. The simple fact we’ve learned is, furniture that works in one house simply may not work/fit/look right in the next house.
2 yeas before we moved, my wife spent a tidy $10k or so decorating our living room in our last house with unique chairs with birds on them and other designer crap that looks stupid in our new open concept place. So it was a bigger waste than decorating usually is.
Many years ago my aunt and uncle built a new house literally down the street from where they were living. They put in brand new carpet throughout the house. From what I remember, the house was sold and they were out pretty quickly (maybe in a matter of a month?).

My uncle was driving past their old house one morning on his way to work and saw all the new carpet they put in rolled up at the curb within a week of the new people moving in.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts