The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
Nope! Don't believe in that stuff because there is no scientific proof or documentation.

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
Is there any scientific proof of gravity or electronic principles?
Don't know, don't care. Don't believe in the paranormal.

Go ponder Newton's theory of gravity. Stuff like that doesn't interest me one bit.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I'm not really a hardcore believer. I am open to the idea of spirits and Aliens, but I won't believe anybody's story.

But....my mom always told me her dad was my guardian angel, he died when I was quite young so I don't really remember him at all.

When my wife an I bought our first house, within a few days of moving in, I had a "dream".

It was my Grandfather leaning over the bed and kissing me on the cheek. There were no visuals in the dream. Just the fact I knew it was my grandpa.

But...when I woke up, I was clearly wide awake and smelt his after shave very strong, and also felt a slight burn on my cheek where his raspy beard contacted me.
Its very weird, as I have no prior memory of his smell, and maybe a vague memory of how abrasive his beard was.

We have been in this house for almost 20 years and I can still remember the smell and scrape of the beard as though it happened yesterday.

Maybe just a really vivid dream, but, since then, my wife and I have each had, separately, times where we have smelt a distinct odor of cigarettes. My grandpa was a smoker, and neither me or my wife have ever smoked.
I have woken more than once to the smell of cigarette smoke.
I like to believe he is somehow watching over me.

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Maybe just a really vivid dream, but, since then, my wife and I have each had, separately, times where we have smelt a distinct odor of cigarettes. ........ I have woken more than once to the smell of cigarette smoke.
I like to believe he is somehow watching over me.
Maybe there is a smoker living in your attic .....lol

Not a hard core believer myself but sometimes feel that people I loved and are now gone might have arranged for a bit of luck to come my way now and again with respect to important things in life. But I could also just be feeling the resonance of mortality as it runs through the human condition if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I haven't personally, but I have an acquaintance who is convinced , he has what he calls 'visitors' in his house .

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
No.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I had a nightmare about Dracula that was really frightening. I was about 30 years old too. It wasn't any old Dracula, it was the super creepy one from that movie with Keanu Reeves. My wife woke me up because I was screaming in my sleep. I thought he was at the end of the bed. It was definitely a supernatural experience.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Not yet.

When we bought our house, the woman next door was sure that it was haunted as her friend who had lived there a couple of owners before us had had several paranormal experiences. We've seen no sign of ghosts and we've been here 18 years. My friends that care more about such things than I do tell me that it is often furniture that is haunted rather than buildings - who knows?

I certainly believe that there are supernatural beings out there.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The first house my wife and I moved into was an old 2 storey cottage on a quiet laneway within our small city. It was so close to the beach that when the waves were up from a north wind, you'd swear they were going to be lapping against the front porch even though we weren't waterfront. It was in rough shape and came "furnished" with the remains of the older couple who lived there previously. One spouse had passed and the other had gone to a nursing home. Most of it we cleared out but some items were interesting and stayed in the house. The basement was unfinished and at the far end there was a coal room. (Tells you the era of its construction). The kids slept upstairs while our bedroom was on the main floor. We had several odd experiences there.
Our lab- collie cross ran down into the cellar, on more than one occasion, all the way to the back coal room where she would stand barking at a corner wall for minutes at a time. The kids were convinced they were visited upstairs by a spirit that wouldn't frighten them but would just let them know of its presence. They could see its figure silhouetted by light from the window above the landing on the back stairs. They never ran hysterically downstairs in the middle of the night to wake us, they just accepted it. From our bedroom, we could sometimes hear the old wooden floorboards creak in the main room during the night, but we usually put it down to old house settling or changes in temperature. I always slept up against the wall and my wife still reminds me how I'd occasionally encourage her to get out of bed and investigate so I didn't have to climb over her.
I have a library of Ontario and Canadian ghost anecdotes but have never seen anything conclusive myself. Of course that's what happens when you're conveniently pinned against the bedroom wall during the night!
My wife tells of a time she was a teen visiting her aunt and uncle on their farm near Simcoe. It was rural and she slept in the basement when she visited. One night she was roused in the middle of the night by a "feeling" that something wasn't right. She peeked out from under the covers and saw a red light slowly moving in a parallel line around the perimeter of the room. It wasn't a reflection from brake lights because the only road was the concession road out in front of the property. It was before laser pointers so it wasn't someone using one and shining it through the window, and the fact it made its way around the room and under the window would mean it's source couldn't have been directly above it. As it moved closer to her sleeping position, she lost her nerve and vacated the room to the main floor. She feels it was an attempt at communication from some passed family member as they had lived in the area for generations.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
I really don't know about actual ghosts, but I did have an out of body experience which I remember vividly.

I awoke up one night needing a washroom jaunt. As I arose I noted that the darkened room looked at bit fuzzy and contrived, almost like I was viewing it through a sheet of fine netting. Feeling a bit disjointed, but not ill, I pondered whether I was awake or had somehow become conscious during a dream. As I rounded the end of the bed I decided to give the outside wall a bump with my shoulder to test the reality of it all, and I transcended it as if it didn't exist, finding myself in the backyard on the other side of the wall. I felt no pain, but within seconds I found myself back in bed, still totally conscious.

I wasn't taking any drugs or drinking, so I couldn't explain the event in any logical way.

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts
I've had 3 weird things happen, but I can't tell if they're dreams or tired eyes or what. Thing is that I'll never forget them.

1) I was in grade two and visiting cousins in texas. It was the first time I tried pringles (we didn't get them in Canada yet) and I we ate the rabbits that my cousin thought were her pets - classic. Anyhow, I was sleeping on the floor in my cousins bedroom and saw a man look into the bedroom window. Even though I could see his face, I couldn't make out the face. My cousins assured me the next day that the guard dogs would've tore the man apart.

2) I was sleeping in my room and had a habit of looking above/behind me, since my sister told me a witch lived in my wall (it was a nail-pop and she was an asshole). Anyway, I looked behind me one night and saw a 1' x 1' light that I would describe as a mini aurora borealis. I ran to my parents room and they wouldn't let me stay with them, so I slept on the floor outside of their room, terrified.

3) When I was older and had a basement bedroom. I woke up one night and thought I saw a person at the end of my bed, so I jumped up and turned on the lights.

I look at ghosts the way I look at religion/god. I don't believe or disbelieve, but let's just keep that stuff outta my house for now.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
This thread got me thinking about family experiences.
A number of years ago, my sister in law ate at the Keg restaurant in Toronto that was formerly the Massey Ferguson mansion I believe. It is supposed to be haunted and she indeed had an experience there she still refuses to elaborate on to this day.
However, my father who was an elementary school and high school teacher for 40 odd years had a contact at our cottage. My folks had built it on a lot south of Port Elgin and north of Douglas Point right on the Lake Huron waterfront road just before I was born. We enjoyed it for a number of years but my older siblings grew out of it and it was a four hour drive from home. Add the winter breakins and by the time I was ten, my folks had decided to sell it. Truly a shame but here's the story.
My Dad was a staunch Anglican and never missed a week of services. He had great faith and belief. He was an avid naturalist and birder who spent many hours devoting himself to that pleasure at the cottage. Between our concession and the next one over was an old fire trail that had been cut through the forest. We hiked it many times but early one morning my Dad had gone on an excursion and had taken the family dog with him. Along the way he had an unusual sensation when up from behind he was passed by a First Nations runner in traditional garb who ran past with no acknowledgement making no sound whatsoever. The dog who would usually bark at strangers made no noise as this unfolded. It was probably the strangest thing that ever happened to him as my sister related it to me. Dad never talked about it. My sister also had reported seeing figures moving silently from time to time in the vicinity of the cottage as she investigated the property and tracts of land around it.
Weird, spooky, believe what you like. There are more things Horatio...

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Friend of mine has an old house in Keswick and told me late at night he would sometimes catch a glimpse of a girl in the hallway. When his daughter grew up to like 20 or so they were talking one time and she was hinting around the same thing but didn't exactly say it - he said "you've seen her to" and she says "yeah I have."

1 - 20 of 59 Posts