The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
I did that for a bit too. Maybe 4 days? Never sold one.
Filter Queens were expensive back then.
I think that the potential buyers only allowed me to demonstrate them was just to get a set of free steak knives. lol.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
I think that the potential buyers only allowed me to demonstrate them was just to get a set of free steak knives. lol.
Hey, thats what i was selling too!! I could not remember the name until i read this post. The claim to fame on these is that they could pick up water spills etc..We had a 4 week training for demoing the vacuums and one of the things we did was ask the customer for a glass of water cause you where thirsty and then put the nozzle in the glass and vacuum the water!!! Turns out one night while demoing, i asked the owner for a glass of water and he pours me a beer instead so i had to suck it up in the vacuum. He was so pissed off at me. LOL. No sales either.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Yeah I was self employed for 20 years...and I actually just started up again after a few years off taking care of the kids. 95% of my business is generated by banging on doors. Prior to taking those few years off, 20 years really burned me out.

Mind you, I've got it down to an art now. I knock selectively. It really minimizes the negativity. It can get depressing hearing NO all the time.

Fortunately, it doesn't take a lot of sales to pay the bills and I generally enjoy interacting with the people most of the time. I suppose the fact that I reap ALL the benefits of my labours makes it a lot easier to deal with too.

Now, when I have a rough day, I try to remind myself that there's nothing else I'm qualified to do that I can make this kind of money, for this amount of work that offers me the flexibility to spend time with my kids whenever I want.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Yeah I was self employed for 20 years...and I actually just started up again after a few years off taking care of the kids. 95% of my business is generated by banging on doors. Prior to taking those few years off, 20 years really burned me out.

Mind you, I've got it down to an art now. I knock selectively. It really minimizes the negativity. It can get depressing hearing NO all the time.

Fortunately, it doesn't take a lot of sales to pay the bills and I generally enjoy interacting with the people most of the time. I suppose the fact that I reap ALL the benefits of my labours makes it a lot easier to deal with too.

Now, when I have a rough day, I try to remind myself that there's nothing else I'm qualified to do that I can make this kind of money, for this amount of work that offers me the flexibility to spend time with my kids whenever I want.
JB thats a great attitude. What is it that you sell ?

·
Premium Member
17,332 Posts
Turns out one night while demoing, i asked the owner for a glass of water and he pours me a beer instead so i had to suck it up in the vacuum. He was so pissed off at me. LOL. No sales either.
Thanks for my laugh for the day!

I can imagine the look on his face!

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
Avon. Dealing with woman, vanity and makeup was a lot of fun.

I got to play a myriad of professional hats. I was sales person, make up artist, psychiatrist, family mediator and more with my regulars.

Amazing how much ppl will reveal to you about family dynamics, skeletons in their closets etc.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
What do I sell? It might sound like a cliche but...I sell ME. It's all about developing trust, making people feel at ease and creating NEED within a few minutes of conversation. Honestly, I love the psychology behind it all. I wish I found personal relationships as easy to navigate.

What do I bill people for? Mostly various home repairs/maintenance that involves ladder work.

You wanna know what the absolute HARDEST part of my job is? Getting up and going out when I have no job to go to, it's Wednesday and I've already made enough to pay the bills for the week, it's hot and I can think of a hundred reasons to stay home.....and then actually getting up and going out. Once the bills are paid...money is somewhat abstract to me. I'm not driven to just earn for the sake of earning. I would much rather take my kids to the beach.

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
You out lasted me. On day 1 during the orientation, I went home for lunch and never went back.
Who da hell hires a 15yr old to sell over priced vacuum cleaners.

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
I almost did door sales for a home security thing, didnt come back after the first training session. They lure you in with the potential to make lots of money but I dont think most people stay on.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Times have changed. Unless you target retirement villages most people will either ignore the door knock or slam the door as soon as you start your speil. I view canvassers as an affront to my personal space, therefore they must be repelled with as much force and vigor as I can muster. Your bullshit is taking my attention away from whatever I was doing, which is infinitely more important than whatever garbage you are selling.

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Times have changed. Unless you target retirement villages most people will either ignore the door knock or slam the door as soon as you start your speil. I view canvassers as an affront to my personal space, therefore they must be repelled with as much force and vigor as I can muster. Your bullshit is taking my attention away from whatever I was doing, which is infinitely more important than whatever garbage you are selling.
Ya, not to mention the jehovahs who for some reason always seem to find me wherever I live and visit me regularly “just to leave this “(pamphlets).

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Ya, not to mention the jehovahs who for some reason always seem to find me wherever I live and visit me regularly “just to leave this “(pamphlets).
Religious zealots are also included. If you’re banging on my door you’re probably included. I ignored my neighbour yesterday. Probably wanted to ask permission to run his lawn mower at 6am on a Sunday. He’s always pulling stupid shit like that. Dude needs a hobby.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I can honestly say that I can't remember the last time this happened. Occasionally I'll get a little old lady peek out the window (as if I'm not going to notice) and then not answer the door. Occasionally I'll get someone that I KNOW is pretending to not speak English. That's about it though. I DO respect people's right to not be disturbed though IF they put up a no soliciting sign.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well, yes. I canvassed for The Heart and Stroke Foundation, Cancer Research and I also canvassed for a Political Party. I never had the “pleasure” of selling vacuums, encyclopedias or other sh&t like that. But, my dad was a door to door pots and pans salesman for a while back in the 50s. Now there’s a crap job! No wonder they don’t do that anymore.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts