The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been dabbling with amplitube recently. The marshalls and both the mesas and fender collections. What I found is that after the last time I played. I wasn't really ripped about the tones on Amplitube and tonight it was a love hate with my traynor (ycs90).

I figure it's just an off night

Do you folks go through these same "Everything is meh" moments?

·
Premium Member
16,782 Posts
Im not so great with garage band tones (not the softwares fault) but 90% amps have a tone I can use.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
The odd time ya, something seems off. Like my Strat is not qwacking right or something. I give it up for night. Next day everything is back to normal.

P

·
0 Posts
I have been dabbling with amplitube recently. The marshalls and both the mesas and fender collections. What I found is that after the last time I played. I wasn't really ripped about the tones on Amplitube and tonight it was a love hate with my traynor (ycs90).

I figure it's just an off night

Do you folks go through these same "Everything is meh" moments?
Congrats on getting Amplitube going. I found Amplitube to be meh... Have you checked out the demo of S-Gear yet? Try it with your real pedals. It is a 15 day full version trial.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes, but then again, I've never had anything better than small bedroom practice amps... not even the newer modeling ones either. Until I started dabbling with all the tones available through my PC, the best I ever had was a fender champion 110.

But with so much available now I can generally find something I'm in the mood to play when the mesa dual rec clones aren't cutting it for me

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Every now and then I get in a fight with the Blues Junior when it won't give me a tone that I can work with. Other nights it's perfect.

Friend of mine has some kind of 50w SS Marshall combo that I have never gotten a usable sound out of, but my neighbor has a different older SS Marshall that rocks hard.

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts
There've been nights when I've take out the DRRI or YBA1 and not be totally into the tone. With amps like that, you kind of get what you get, tone-wise, and if it ain't happening on that night, it ain't happening. I can still play but it doesn't seem to have the vibe it should have (but, as they say: A bad on the gold course [jamming] is better than a good day at work [not jamming], if you know what I mean.....).

I find this to be less of a problem with either of my Mesa's because they have such a wide range of tonal options, I can usually get somewhere that's inspiring and interesting. Especially the TA15 - that little sucker can take you from Voxy stuff to tweedy/Marshally/Mark type tonality with a flip of a switch or two. Where do you want to go? Totally under-rated amp, IMO.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I had this problem a lot when I was younger. Sometimes it would go on for weeks. They were really frustrating times. It took me a long time to get over it. Now, I just have nights where I don't feel like playing but things always sound good. My Fender GDEC helps that out.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats on getting Amplitube going. I found Amplitube to be meh... Have you checked out the demo of S-Gear yet? Try it with your real pedals. It is a 15 day full version trial.
Thanks. I'll be honest, I ditched all attempts at using the laptop and the G3 as an interface. I got it working ok with the Th3, but I wasn't ready to buy as it was still a bit buggy. (I could get it to work, then not, then working...)

Finally I bought the Irig HD and stole my wife's iPad mini. Love it. I'm going to wipe the laptop and start all over and see if S-Gear will work. I might just keep it for my music library patched into my home stereo, and use the iPad for amp sims through studio monitors so I can jam along....have not decided yet.

The odd time ya, something seems off. Like my Strat is not qwacking right or something. I give it up for night. Next day everything is back to normal.
I'm thinking this will be the case. Will see tonight. Incidentally, the Strat has never sounded better through the Fender sims.

In addition, you might have been tired, not as interested/enthusiastic and/or distracted by something that was on you mind.
Actually, I think you nailed it. It was a pretty trying 13 hour day. I spent the morning powering through a stack of work trying to hit the road for Cambridge, Oakville and Whitby. Heading home came with a myriad of issues; GPS "saving me time" with alternate routes to get me out of gridlock that turned into goat paths in the dark, trying to find a good place to eat, a Santa event traffic jam (on top of the several I encountered already) and bumbling idiots not knowing where they were going. Fortunately the last 40 mins of my drive was peaceful and clear sailing. One thing that kept coming back to my mind was the ex-coworker who dropped in on me before I hit the road. I hadn't seen him in a year and he had been recovering from a disease that nearly killed him. I didn't recognize him at first and had difficulty with the whole thing...couldn't get it out of my head.

Tonight will be a better night

·
Premium Member
17,302 Posts
Tonight will be a better night
WOW!...I would certainly hope so!

What a hell of a day you had yesterday!
I'd be in ICU by late afternoon if that happened to me.

Finally I bought the Irig HD and stole my wife's iPad mini. Love it.
Pleased to hear that you have something sorted out.

I stole my wife's Mac laptop and run it into my stereo in my basement "studio"
(you are allowed to laugh as you have been there) and then I can play backing tracks from YouTube via WiFi. I'm thinking of finding a used iPad for that purpose.

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
Not a huge fan of amp tones that aren't a mic in front (or behind) a real amp, but even then I can be ear tired and disillusioned. That's time to rest the ears and wander off into acousticland, or simply go for a walk in the woods.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What a hell of a day you had yesterday!
I'd be in ICU by late afternoon if that happened to me.
I hope I did not come across as dramatic - just an outline of my day. Never thought about being drained, was probably playing on autopilot so to speak

Pleased to hear that you have something sorted out.

I stole my wife's Mac laptop and run it into my stereo in my basement "studio"
(you are allowed to laugh as you have been there) and then I can play backing tracks from YouTube via WiFi. I'm thinking of finding a used iPad for that purpose.
No laughing, nothing wrong with your "studio". It's a cool space to me. iPads are pretty great rent they? I may have to buy her another lol

·
Premium Member
17,302 Posts
I hope I did not come across as dramatic
Not at all. I just felt exhausted after reading it.

No laughing, nothing wrong with your "studio". It's a cool space to me.
It is comfortable and fun ...especially if you like to go back to the 1970's

iPads are pretty great aren't they?
My wife has a MacBook Air.

However, I have used iPads that others owned and I'm sure an iPad would be perfect for what I want to do. Actually, anything that is Wifi capable would be fine.

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
Unless it is guitar and amplifier I don't want to hear it. The rest is just computer BS.
except, it's really not. you can get some pretty good tones from software if you have good monitors.

i have noticed in the past that some days my amp delivers awesome tones, and then the next day sounds terrible, even though everything is the same, including the settings. i suspect (although i don't know ) that barometric pressure plays a role in this. logically if you are using the same gear in the same room with the same settings, the tone should be the same too. but it's not always.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
i suspect (although i don't know ) that barometric pressure plays a role in this. logically if you are using the same gear in the same room with the same settings, the tone should be the same too. but it's not always.
I think the barometric pressure could affect your hearing. Also, humidity levels can affect your speaker cones.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Generally I set my amp and leave it. Today it's working out much better. I really do like this amp. It is very Marshall-esque without the need for pedals. (Though I do use an EP booster). I roll back the volume to clean it up if it's a little too gritty.

I have a good set of headphones for the software, and I'm looking forward to getting a set of powered monitors. That might make a big difference right there.

·
Premium Member
9,690 Posts
Yes, and thats why it's taken me years to decide which of my 2 amps to sell. When I think I've made a decision, the next time I play them, I'm right back to where I started from. They're both excellent amps and I'm lucky to have such a problem, and I haven't heard anything to justify ditching both of them.
Bogner xtc classic
CAA OD-100

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
I'm looking forward to getting a set of powered monitors. That might make a big difference right there.
it will make a big difference, i think you'll be pleased. when i went to a decent set of powered monitors, the difference was dramatic

1 - 20 of 29 Posts