The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the great input on my other thread. ;) I had a similar thought, has anyone ever been hit by another vehicle. I have been lucky as a cyclist I have only been hit twice in forty years. Once by an older gentleman who turned right in front of me. I hit his car and slide into the curb. I cracked my helmet and this is why I would never ride without a helmet. He was a nice guy and said he panicked instead of waiting.

The other time was by another cyclist riding through a park with a 24 on his handle bars. He came out of nowhere and all I could do was lift my legs. He hit me so hard he bent my bike in half. He fell into the 24. It was scarey I crashed pretty hard but wasn't hurt too badly. He seemed cut up but he just gathered to unbroken bottles and went on his way.

I had a friend whose sister accidently stepped in front of a bus. She was in the hospital a long time but survived .

·
Registered
12,315 Posts
i've been hit by a car 3 times. 2 of those times i was fleeing an assailant. one of them, i was tripping balls and exited someones car while at a stoplight, and walked in front of an oncoming vehicle. i've been in a car that was hit a few times. had lots and lots of close calls.

·
Registered
24,684 Posts
I've been hit a couple of times. Once when I was about 10 or 11 and was crossing at the lights. It was raining, and I was walking across the intersection during a green light. I was pissed at a friend of mine and giving him the evil-eye stare. A driver made a right hand turn and whacked me. I went down under his bumper. He hadn't hit me very hard. He backed up and got out of the car. In the meantime, I had gotten up and gone over to the sidewalk. Guy came over to where he thought he had seen me go down, and started yelling "Where's the kid?". I raised my hand and said "I'm over here." I was okay. Nothing broken, just a bruised butt. Made for a great story at show and tell in class the next day.

Ten or twelve years later, I got hit late at night. Coming back on my bike from one of the half-dozen Greek bakeries near the apartment my college room-mate and I were sharing, I was steering with one hand and holding the bag with the rolls fresh out of the oven with the other. A cab decided to try and beat the light by driving on the sidewalk around the cars in front of him. I was driving on the crosswalk and had the right of way. Again, only bruises, but my room-mate's bike was totalled. The cabbie didn't exactly hit and run, but the whole thing was over so fast I had no info from him for insurance purposes. Probably means he didn't have any or couldn't afford a claim, given the context of the hit ("So I was driving along the sidewalk, and out of nowhere, this kid is driving across the street in the crosswalk, and his light turns amber.". Cops drove me to the nearest hospital and dropped me off at emerg.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Once. Got a concussion out of it. Partially my fault, partially city’s fault and partially the drivers fault. Just glad the city bus was able to stop instead of running me over (got knocked into the roadway)

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
When I was 16 a senior hit me when exiting a parking lot, so not too bad but I was an a$$hole when I was young and I karate kicked his mirror off. Later, in my 20's, a city bus knocked me in the helmet with it's mirror when I was cruising an underpass in downtown...(Karma?!). That scared the poop out of me because there was really nowhere to go except the retaining wall. Luckily I kept my balance, and was wearing a helmet!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
My amazing stepdaughter had her life altered as a victim of a speeding driver. She had just interviewed for her first major job after graduation and was walking to her boyfriends. She had her headphones on, simply minding her business. She was walking up the sidewalk just passing a T intersection with lights where a side street on the opposite side joined the main thoroughfare. The driver was operating a family members ultra sports car and blew through the changing light making a left hand turn, losing control in the process. My daughter, who had just passed beyond the lights with her back now to the flow of traffic, had no time to react, was struck and launched into the side of a house porch. Catastrophic injuries resulted and after major surgeries, rehab, battles with insurance she is making progress but still struggles with quality of life that will never be what it was. It can happen that fast. So if you are out and about, keep your wits in focus and if you tend to press the pedal a little harder at times, wherever you're headed will still be there in ten more minutes and someone's life might have benefitted from your discretion. We remember the anniversary as her "re"birthday. As a sidenote, she has taken up playing guitar despite challenges with motor control, but she can do something far better than I will ever be able to...sing!

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
Sorry about the tangent here. This reminds me of a thread several years ago on TGP... "Have you ever been shot by a gun" WTF was my reaction. Not something likely to see on a Cdn Forum.

As for your question,...no. I am over-cautious and mildly paranoid as a pedestrian.

·
Premium Member
10,043 Posts
Much better idea for a thread...

Once by a bicyclist while I was walking on the sidewalk, knocked out a tooth.

Once by a car when I was on my bicycle, stupidly between 2 parked cars and was about to pull into the street and edged up when a car was passing by. Only hit my front tire fortunately. Entirely my fault, I was about 10. No way the car could have seen me in there. When my mom found out from a neighbor who saw it and told her,I got grounded.

Once I was driving on my street, in my suv, pulling a trailer. A roller blader with headphones on and walking his dog was on the side of the road, planning to cross the road. He wasn’t paying attention, didn’t notice the trailer attached to me and skated right into the side of my trailer as I passed by him. Got a big gash in his leg from a bolt on the trailer , dog was freaking out...people that came by shortly after automatically assumed it was my fault and acted like assholes. Fortunately he was a good guy, admitted it was his fault. I helped him get his dog and he limped home. I wanted to drive him home, but I had my dog in the back and his dog going apeshit wasn’t going in my car with mine.

When I was about 6, I saw my best friend get hit by a car....bolted right out into a busy road (bloor st, at high park) nowhere near a crosswalk, got hit by a big car doing 55kph or so, rolled over the hood, his shoes flew about 40ft in the air. I’ll never forget it b/c my mom was watching us for the day. Difficult call to make to his parents. He was fine, checked out at the hospital, just shock.

·
Registered
24,684 Posts
Not a case of being hit, but the best ad I ever saw for bicycle helmets was about 20 years ago. I'm walking my kid back home from school and a slightly older child comes bombing along the sidewalk on his bike. A pebble or something gets into his chain, and the bike comes to a dead halt from full speed. Bike and kid do a complete vertical 180, such that the kid does a "piledriver" into the sidewalk, head first. He gets up, a little dizzy, wipes the dust off himself, checks the bike, and rides away. Had he not been wearing a helmet, his parents would either be visitng the hospital these days to spoon feed him or see if he's come out of the coma yet, or visiting his gravesite.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Sorry about the tangent here. This reminds me of a thread several years ago on TGP... "Have you ever been shot by a gun" WTF was my reaction. Not something likely to see on a Cdn Forum.

As for your question,...no. I am over-cautious and mildly paranoid as a pedestrian.
I was at a jam party last Saturday night and my buddy showed up with a fresh .22 wound in his nose. He shot himself in the face on a deflection

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
When I was about 12 my sister was backing out of her driveway and caught my leg in one of those old fashioned chrome bumpers. I just got scratched and bruised a bit.

When I was 19, my brother-in-law was coming from the legion (likely DUI) and pulled out in front of me when I was on my motorcycle. It was either hit him or jump clear. I jumped clear and ended up sliding a long way on my arms and stomach. I ended up with terrible road rash on both arms, especially the right one (I wasn't wearing leathers) and I still have the scars on one arm.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
When I was about 12 my sister was backing out of her driveway and caught my leg in one of those old fashioned chrome bumpers. I just got scratched and bruised a bit.

When I was 19, my brother-in-law was coming from the legion (likely DUI) and pulled out in front of me when I was on my motorcycle. It was either hit him or jump clear. I jumped clear and ended up sliding a long way on my arms and stomach. I ended up with terrible road rash on both arms, especially the right one (I wasn't wearing leathers) and I still have the scars on one arm.
I hit the back of an ATV at ~90 km/h once, at the very top of a long decline. I went over the bars and flew like a shithawk for an easy 50 yards through the air. Ragdolled for another 50 yards or so. Got back up and carried on the ride.

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
No, but my brother was riding his bike no hands and looking at me, hit a parked car and over through the apehanger style handlebars onto the trunk lid. He was 7 or 8, over 40 years ago, I can still see it vividly. Scraped up a bit but otherwise unhurt. A little bit 'man bites dog'.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah. Once. I was 14 or so and on my bicycle. I crossed the street behind a truck that was turning left. I couldn’t see the car coming in the other direction and boom! I flew up in the air and landed head first in he windshield and cracked it (the windshield and the head). It was an old couple in an old car. Scared the hell out of them and me too. They were going pretty slow so turned out better than expected. My bike was toast and I had a bad cut on my head but no broken bones otherwise.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts