The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I use the internet for news. I can't stand the hype in TV and radio news. Just give me the facts please and from all over the world, not just the country where I live.

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
I use the internet for news. I can't stand the hype in TV and radio news. Just give me the facts please and from all over the world, not just the country where I live.
Good call here, sound pamphlet logic as usual. The Internet is nothing but facts so you know all the info is good.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
CNN is great for news about natural disasters, plane crashes, bombs going off in 3rd world countries etc. Brutal for bias and beating a dead horse in politics though.
I really like some of their docu-shows though, like Morgan Spurlocks Inside Man, Lisa Lings show, United Shades of America, etc.
Overall,its a valuable channel, I just wish theyd dig a little deeper into their journalistic integrity when it comes to the politics, and not try and be the Fox News of the Left. I think they have more potential then that.

·
Premium Member
11,619 Posts
When CNN started out and earned their bones during the Iraq war, they were considered one of the reference standards for news. Then they had to compete with the internet. You do the math.

If you think you're getting anything but fake, biased news from the internet, you've totally lost the plot. When the internet impeaches a president or stops a guns for drugs scheme, I'll start to change my views. It's just sad that competition has lead the real media to have to play in the fake news arena. Even sadder that most people on the internet don't get it.

If you want proof that the world is flat, it's on the internet.

·
Registered
24,147 Posts
Sundays are generally good days on CNN, largely because it's not the same single item on a continuous loop. My sense is that the "breaking news" thing tends to stem from tryingto maintain interest in the same thin gruel because there isn't much else to switch to.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
If you think you're getting anything but fake, biased news from the internet, you've totally lost the plot. When the internet impeaches a president or stops a guns for drugs scheme, I'll start to change my views. It's just sad that competition has lead the real media to have to play in the fake news arena. Even sadder that most people on the internet don't get it.

If you want proof that the world is flat, it's on the internet.
re: bolded, what that proves is that TV news channels are powerful, not that they are "correct". that's actually the problem.
CNN controversies - Wikipedia

I think youre painting the internet with too broad of a brush. The value of the internet is that its a research tool. if youre really interested in a particular issue, you go to the internet and can read various points of view, in a sort of uncensored way, and come to your own conclusions. you get to be the judge, you don't have to take the word of Hannity or Megyn Kelly or whomever as being "right". You dont get that freedom from any particular news channel.
If you don't think the internet has been invaluable in allowing the spreading of information in countries with strong censorship, then you don't get the internet. Perhaps youd be happier in N. Korea, China etc. where you can be soon fed from a state run media outlet.

·
Premium Member
11,619 Posts
OH, I get the internet. I just don't get the people that believe everything they read on it is fact.

You need to vet your own sources, not an easy thing to do. The large media companies decades ago did that for us: ABC, NBC, CBS, major newspapers. They relied on their reputation and wouldn't impune it with bad information. Now we have to do that ourselves, with an unedited internet and sources with various levels of credibility. Do you believe everyone is better at that than the major media sources used to be before they had to compete with the internet? I don't. Too many people spouting fake news as if it was real. And I mean ridiculously fake news. Laugable fake news, taken as gospel.

Reactions: jb welder

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
OH, I get the internet. I just don't get the people that believe everything they read on it is fact.
Is kind of a "Captain Obvious" conundrum to say things like "you can't believe everything you read on the Internet", or "CNN news is a joke". Yeah no kidding. But when people do say these things I always get the feeling they're implying they know where to get accurate news.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
Is kind of a "Captain Obvious" conundrum to say things like "you can't believe everything you read on the Internet", or "CNN news is a joke". Yeah no kidding. But when people do say these things I always get the feeling they're implying they know where to get accurate news.
And that is the issue.
I think if youre looking for a single news source to just absorb passively, you'll always be brainwashed.
I look at various news sites as "perspectives". if an incident happens in the middle east for example, I'll catch some of it on CNN...then i'll see what drudge is saying, then I want Al jazeeras take on it, BBC etc. Its a lot of work these days.
but unfortunately, news isn't an unbiased, uneditted reporting of facts of all positions. Its story telling. each story has a hero, a victim etc and the reporters will use their own discretion to tell their narrative and cast the players. life isn't that clear cut.

L

·
0 Posts
a snippet from the Toronto Sun

Journalists’ brains below average due to alcohol and caffeine: Study

Duh, journalists’ brains may no work too good.

According to a study released Thursday by neuroscientist Dr. Tara Swart in association
with the London Press Club, the highest functions of the human brain operate at a lower
level in journalists than the average population.

Her research titled “Study Into The Mental Resilience of Journalists,” blames journalists’
cognitive shortcomings on dehydration caused by excessive alcohol consumption along with
poor diet, including higher levels of sugar and caffeine.

Less than 5% of journalists drink enough — or any — water while 41% drank more than 18
alcoholic drinks per week.

The study measured “executive functioning” which, as Swart writes in her report, is
“the ability of the brain to regulate emotions, suppress bias, switch between tasks,
solve complex problems and think flexibly and creatively.”

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
That post made my day. Makes alot of sense. I'd hate to be one as they are constantly neutered.

I think the old boys at post media or any of the giant conglomerates need to take a long hard look in the mirror. We're already seeing print and cable media heading out the window, Im not sure it will last once the older baby boomers die off. Even then, my parents just cut the cord and only have two cell phones and internet access after paying up to 190 a month for a pretty basic service.

The downside of course is having media institutions that will no longer have the reach and oversight to publish quality content. I hate to say (amongst dinosaurs), but keeping institutions such as CBC or BBC at arms reach from the government is crucial, or nothing important would get coverage. Even at this point there were more people that knew about Trumps BS with the FBI than those that knew about a BC provincial election.

·
Premium Member
11,619 Posts
The downside of course is having media institutions that will no longer have the reach and oversight to publish quality content. I hate to say (amongst dinosaurs), but keeping institutions such as CBC or BBC at arms reach from the government is crucial, or nothing important would get coverage. Even at this point there were more people that knew about Trumps BS with the FBI than those that knew about a BC provincial election.
I hope you are joking. The CBC? OMFG! Talk about fake news - they are a marketing shill of the Liberals. If you see it anything else, well, I guess they are winning.

The CBC makes CNN look like the bastion of credibility. And shouln't even be mentioned in the same breath as the big three down south, or even CTV, a far more neutral 5th estate.

·
Registered
24,147 Posts
So what do you consider a "credible" news source? And do you make a distinction between CBC-TV, CBC-web, and CBC-radio?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts