The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these are a bit rare. Has anyone had the pleasure? Are they 8 ohms and 6l6? How did you like the cleans?

Any help is much appreciated for this newbie!

DT

·
Registered
597 Posts
Never heard one but I've had my eye on one for sale in Calgary.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-GARNET-GNOME-REVERB-TUBE-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER-RARE-W0QQAdIdZ27746321

Is that a tad overpriced? Maybe not, I think the Gnome is fairly sought after by the "bedroom player" set. Single-ended (class A) 6L6, something like 9 watts?

Fantastic amps, those old Garnets. I had a Sessionman combo for a few years, amazingly well built but not quite my cup of tea. It was insanely loud though. They all have solidstate rectifiers as far as I know.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Robboman thanks for the reply.

Yes, it's the price and the SS rectifier that made me balk, esp. since I'm in Ontario. Also, I hear the reverb isn't great. But I wonder how it sounds compared to a vibro champ.

dt

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
The Gnome and Champs are very similar. This one is way overpriced, the reverb isn't great, and I'm not even certain it should have a 6L6 (6V6 is more typical). I looked at this amp too but it is cheaper to get a Fender Vibro Champ.

TG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts