The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,202 Posts
Not this year, specifically, but the previous two summers they have seemed to be worse - I've attributed that to the decline in the bat population due to white-nose fungus. This summer, I have seen more bats, so I figure that's a good sign, and maybe they will start to decrease the mosquito population.

·
Registered
24,332 Posts
Depends on the bodies of water you're near. During our 5 years in Victoria, there were no screens on the windows and no mosquitoes. Mosquitoes require relatively still water to lay their eggs in and hatch. If one has regular breezes on the water (and living near the ocean is good for that), the eggs simply don't hatch.

Conversely, if one lives near bodies of water whose levels have dropped via heat, and do not receive stiff breezes, I could very easily see a sharp increase in mosquitoes. Keep in mind, as well, that the bat population has been negatively affected in some regions with that white-nose disease. Bats normally eat a LOT of mosquitoes.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Depends on the bodies of water you're near. During our 5 years in Victoria, there were no screens on the windows and no mosquitoes. Mosquitoes require relatively still water to lay their eggs in and hatch. If one has regular breezes on the water (and living near the ocean is good for that), the eggs simply don't hatch.

Conversely, if one lives near bodies of water whose levels have dropped via heat, and do not receive stiff breezes, I could very easily see a sharp increase in mosquitoes. Keep in mind, as well, that the bat population has been negatively affected in some regions with that white-nose disease. Bats normally eat a LOT of mosquitoes.
Not this year, specifically, but the previous two summers they have seemed to be worse - I've attributed that to the decline in the bat population due to white-nose fungus. This summer, I have seen more bats, so I figure that's a good sign, and maybe they will start to decrease the mosquito population.

The bats are in dire straits out here

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
No worse than usual around here,once the sun goes down you have about half an hour.
Typical for early July

·
Premium Member
9,690 Posts
Not mosquitoes but deer flies are vicious in our area.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Probably around the same here...it always seems bad, but its like that every spring. For some reason, the green Deep Woods Off keeps them away.
My buddy swears by Muskol, but we were over at his house this week outside and we must have used a whole can of the Muskol. It was not effective at all. They would land on you and find that tiny spot you missed.
The deep woods stuff keeps them away and you don't need a lot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts