The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Has Anyone Here Painted a 'Rocky' Strat?

3K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Rozz 
#1 ·
Hi,
Has anyone here painted a 'Rocky' (George Harrison) Strat?

I am toying with the idea of having a Strat painted as 'Rocky', and would do the work myself, but I do not have access to any space in which I could use spray paints and hang the guitar to dry, and so on.

Thanks.

#8 ·
I picked up this Gibby for very little because of the paint.

View attachment 229370
I like the wave.. But I am not a fan of the pin striping lines on the horn and around the pick guard etc. They almost look carved...please tell me it isn't carved... ;-)

G
#14 ·
It's carved.
I've thought about belt sanding it out, wood putty, veneer it, heck, even pull my chisels out from 30 years ago and augment it.
I'm even getting used to it.
Don't know what route I'll take yet.

my chisel work. bonus points if you know the album.

Art Drawing

#7 ·
Flourescent day-glo paint was used. the only spray equipment you need is a rattle can of clear

#9 ·
Hi Everyone,
Many thanks for the replies.

Sorry, I should have been more precise about this, when I talked about spraying the body. I plan to do that in order to replicate the original colour of the guitar, which was that light blue (forget what Fender calls it).

And I have sourced many videos and blogs on doing this already.

What I was asking in my original message was whether anyone here has painted a 'Rocky'.

I wanted to know that for two reasons - to pick up some tips, and to potentially hire someone to do this.

#12 ·
you could probably use transfer techniques. Print the design on paper, coat the guitar with the special stuff and press the paper onto the guitar, peel the paper and voila...

Something like this...

Reactions: Rozz
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.