The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Standard bankruptcy stuff.
Going through past expenses, purchases etc..... Phillips etc

I imagine it’ll be 6 months to a year before anything exciting actually happens.

Nathan

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
If sales are growing, as Henry says in this latest interview. why are there 2015's, 2016's, 2017's still in stock and from the giant retailers, it looks like there are lots of them since they are flogging them at pretty steep discounts? GC had a 2016 Studio at $450.00 off today. Thise is several times I've seen them flogging these.

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
If sales are growing, as Henry says in this latest interview. why are there 2015's, 2016's, 2017's still in stock and from the giant retailers, it looks like there are lots of them since they are flogging them at pretty steep discounts? GC had a 2016 Studio at $450.00 off today. Thise is several times I've seen them flogging these.
what if GC and other retailers have bought and paid for those 15's, 16's and 17's? shouldn't matter to Gibson, they sold them and now they're selling more of whatever is in the pipe. business is booming, ,make Gibson great again, you lose Steadly

·
Premium Member
11,661 Posts
Yeah, I hadn't been paying attention either, but I bet the industry is. In spite of everything, there are lessons to be learned.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
what if GC and other retailers have bought and paid for those 15's, 16's and 17's? shouldn't matter to Gibson, they sold them and now they're selling more of whatever is in the pipe. business is booming, ,make Gibson great again, you lose Steadly
If your major distributors are backed up with previous years' unsold product, it most certainly matters to Gibson. At some point these stores will stop buying new stuff or drop the line if they cannot move the product.

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
If your major distributors are backed up with previous years' unsold product, it most certainly matters to Gibson. At some point these stores will stop buying new stuff or drop the line if they cannot move the product.
I get ya but I honestly don't care a ton about it, just mostly wasting time with Steadly. On a serious note, do you really think stores will put their foot down and only offer old stock to customers or bring in new products to meet the current demand? Gibson screwed up and they'll have to deal with it but I don't think its curtains for them just yet

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I get ya but I honestly don't care a ton about it, just mostly wasting time with Steadly. On a serious note, do you really think stores will put their foot down and only offer old stock to customers or bring in new products to meet the current demand? Gibson screwed up and they'll have to deal with it but I don't think its curtains for them just yet
Gibson won't go under, but may end up sold. I do think some of their dealers will start pushing back against Gibson's rather draconian demands regarding the amount of new stock stores must buy.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Gibson won't go under, but may end up sold. I do think some of their dealers will start pushing back against Gibson's rather draconian demands regarding the amount of new stock stores must buy.
I never thought about that but you may very well be right. That can be a tough thing for the smaller companies to deal with.

·
Premium Member
26,627 Posts
Gibson/Epiphone had a big display at Summer NAMM. Not, perhaps, as big as Fender's, but pretty big. At the plenary breakfast on Saturday, one of the things a panel of 7 retailers were asked to nominate, along with "best in show", was "companies to watch". One of the panelists addressed what he said was the elephant in the room: Gibson. Without making any comments about how they got to where they are, he said that everyone in the room wanted to see things turn out well for them, and they'd be watching. The room, with hundreds in attendance, burst into applause.

Whatever people may feel about Henry J, the fact remains that for many, companies like Gibson, Fender, and Martin, are like the family home. No matter who lives in it now, they just don't want to see it torn down and paved over.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Gibson/Epiphone had a big display at Summer NAMM. Not, perhaps, as big as Fender's, but pretty big. At the plenary breakfast on Saturday, one of the things a panel of 7 retailers were asked to nominate, along with "best in show", was "companies to watch". One of the panelists addressed what he said was the elephant in the room: Gibson. Without making any comments about how they got to where they are, he said that everyone in the room wanted to see things turn out well for them, and they'd be watching. The room, with hundreds in attendance, burst into applause.

Whatever people may feel about Henry J, the fact remains that for many, companies like Gibson, Fender, and Martin, are like the family home. No matter who lives in it now, they just don't want to see it torn down and paved over.
I can understand that. They are likely concerned about the industry in general and understand it is in their best interests if things turn out positively for the guitar side of the company. While Fender might not benefit from Gibson guitars going the way of the Dodo bird, others definitely would and PRS would likely benefit the most. Ibanez, Godin and Agile would as well.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I agree!

I might not understand the price point of certain instruments but I respect the brand...

Loosing Gibson would be like loosing Harley Davidson ...

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I have to say that I never understood the hate for Henry. Apart from a few product mis-steps, Gibson has been a good brand to follow and occasionally purchase. Running a business is like sausage making; you may not want to watch how it's done. Some people want to blame the owner for the frustration they feel when they can't get what they want , when they want, at a price they can afford. The guy at L&M is more important to me than HJ.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts