The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a gig booked for Halloween and I'm just wondering if anyone else has gigged recently and what precautions they had to take in order to perform.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Been practicing with a friend outside on my back balcony and staying at a distance...

My wife cleans everything with javex if he needs to go to the washroom...

Its a real pain.

I personally would not go and play at any event since thats were the spread is present.

·
Premium Member
11,996 Posts
A couple in July, when the C19 numbers were going the right way.

Had a couple booked for August (and some looking at Sept), but they were cancelled in late July as the #s started going wonky. Out here, bands have to be quiet enough you can order a drink without shouting/spitting at your waitress. So, acoustic duos and very quiet small combos are all that would possibly meet that criteria. I know a couple guys doing that, but the crowds hardly justify their $250 or whatever a night.

I host band practice weekly. We miss the audiences but we don't miss some of their drunken end-of-evening conduct that would get us sick, probably. We choose to wait it out.

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Premium Member
4,419 Posts
We had one booked for October 22nd. That’s now pushed to November. We did an outdoor one a few weeks ago. Where we are supposed to play, the stage is far enough back from the audience that we’d feel safe.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
too risky... I was going to play with my friends in a "nonfunctional" studio/rehearsal place. We decided to delay the event after the second wave, even though it has been not so bad in NL so far. That said, the gig was just for fun for us and some family members and friends.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Not here. Had an opportunity to play last August but I decided against it. My 6-piece band hasn't played together since March. My studio is not big enough for 6 people to rehearse in. And thats not considering most of us are high-risk. But I've been doing a 1 hour livestream show every other Saturday with my saxophone/singer. That's taken the itch out of performing. We're actually having a great time doing it. I think, for me the earliest I'm considering playing out in public would be spring of 2021.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Haven't gigged since March, and seriously doubt it will happen for at least the rest of this year... One member will not play until there's a vaccine.
Time to set up a home recording studio.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Last gig was the end of February. I'm not to optimistic about the future of a 9 piece band.The last 10 years have sure been a fun ride and I will definitely savour the past. I have just been playing our song list on a regular basis in case a miracle happens.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been doing a Sunday patio gig with my 2/3/4-piece band. We played instrumentals only, but we recently rigged up some plexiglas shields so now we can sing. Tomorrow's gig will be the last as it becomes too cold to play outside. Once they close the patio, they'll only be hiring solos because the inside will have a covid capacity of 12 and 4 in the band eliminates that many customers. We're talking about me doing it solo but we'll see. I intend to rehearse the band weekly over the winter.

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
my brother's 3 piece band did their first gig of the covid season in late september. It was outdoors, and with a 3pc it's easy to stay 2 meters apart, so no big deal. That's the only thing they have on the books, everything else got canceled.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
I just go to jams and do open mics. At least that’s what I used to do. Anyway, back in August and September there was a bunch of open mics at bars in Toronto and they were going on about maintaining the distancing and all that was being looked after etc but I saw lots of photographs from these things and the places were filled with people hugging each other and having their pictures taken not a damn bit of consideration for keeping any kind of distance so to hell with that.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Private party this summer, but I declined, and so did the bass player. No one got sick.

I have contacted a couple of new guys about recording single songs in my garage this winter but it is still in the consultation phase with my wife. Puts her at risk too. She is enjoying her friends on occasion. We will see...

·
Premium Member
3,244 Posts
Three gigs since the shutdown. Two instrumental gigs outdoors with lots of space and, most recently, a singing gig on a restaurant patio with a plexiglas shield between me and the audience - all of them during daylight hours. Interestingly, the last two gigs paid very well.

I built a plexiglas shield for teaching and sized it so that I could use it in performance as well, but it hasn't left the house yet.

I'm not anticipating any gigs now until April when I can perform outside again. Indoor gigs just can't draw enough patrons to justify the expense.

·
Premium Member
Fender Stratocaster
86 Posts
I had an outside house party gig in July; 5 piece band. Buffet in the garage with party goers lining up. People were a little more segregated than BC (before covid19) but the infection numbers were low then so I wasn’t concerned and it was good to have some normalcy. We have New Year’s Eve booked but that will no doubt be a no go so we’ll return their deposit.

·
Registered
272 Posts
i did a couple of things outdoors in the summer solo no other band to be close to on stage or at practice. those went well and i wish i had done more while the weather was good

trying to get my head around indoors now that the weather is colder but i don't see how it will work

i'm kicking an idea around with some other local players who are willing to do solo stuff or with their spouse/partner that we could do a musicians circle in a heated farm shop or something like that over winter. no audience just some players in a big circle doing music for our own and each others benefit with lots of space. no money involved just a way to keep the juices flowing

my son was supposed to be part of a regional choir this fall which of course got cancelled. instead they each recorded their own part of one song alone at home and submitted them for the wonder of audio/video edit to make into a choral performance. kind of heartbreaking compared to several weekends of singing together but the result was still very good. check it out here

j

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Played at the Ironwood in Calgary this evening.

We had to wear masks on stage, singer had to stay in a glass both to sing without a mask, or stay 12 feet away from the nearest table and wear a mask singing.

No dance floor, could only dance with you "cohort". No walkups, all reserved parties and tables. Limited capacity to 50.

For the band, we had to hang out "stage left" or in the "green room", could not hang out at a table or the bar.

Having said that, we played two shows, a matinee and an evening show. Sold out both, with $40 tickets and $50 for the evening. Tragically Hip tribute band, all proceeds going to Canadian Cancer society.

Details and poster here: Show info

·
Premium Member
10,996 Posts
Two brief church gigs with the fiddle/guitar instrumental duo. Seated, masked, but reading from one stand as is our occasional habit, so not socially distanced. The congregation was masked, distanced, hand sanitized, and there was no singing in a church that really sings normally. The rules were strictly followed with no extra reminders needed, people were respectful. We have two more gigs coming up with the same precautions.

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
I just go to jams and do open mics. At least that’s what I used to do. Anyway, back in August and September there was a bunch of open mics at bars in Toronto and they were going on about maintaining the distancing and all that was being looked after etc but I saw lots of photographs from these things and the places were filled with people hugging each other and having their pictures taken not a damn bit of consideration for keeping any kind of distance so to hell with that.
What you mention is my big issue. I know one of the parties we were going to play this summer still went on, but we just cancelled all shows. I see people saying they will take precautions, but then see photos from events where people are doing anything but. Especially once alcohol is in the equation.

I can see situations where it's acoustic music at a small venue where distancing can actually be enforced working. And I'm sure there are other venues working hard to meet requirements. But for anything larger and in looser conditions, I'm just not comfortable. I don't trust people to do the right thing.

Beyond that, there's not much about these tightly regulated events at venues that I would really consider to be fun as a player or as an atendee anyway. The thought of my band playing the type of music we play in this atmosphere makes me laugh. It wouldn't really be fun for anyone involved.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Both my bands were so close to having 3-4 hours of well rehearsed tunes ready to go through last winter. Then we stopped jamming completely until early June I believe. Aaaaanndd of course we were sloppy as hell. Instead of keeping up with the "practice" we decided to just play stuff WE want to play instead of what a bar crowd wants to hear. Man we have had some fun... Obviously nothing we play lately is playable at a bar, so when the gigs come, we probably won't be ready at all lol. But it's fun for now.

We've tossed around the idea of just playing in the backyard through the summer for a few people, but the first date we decided on was one day after the govt dropped the limits on gatherings so we cancelled. I have no interest in playing a gig in these conditions. It's tough enough on us all to try and jam and be distant and not sing towards each other. I couldn't imagine playing for a crowd that can't dance or sing along. Staying home and playing the songs WE want is way more fun

1 - 20 of 27 Posts