The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody been robbed before?
My wife left the house today at noon, I came home at 12:25 and the house was torn apart.
I pulled up on my motorcyle and I guess the noise scared them away....
Very weird,all the drawers and cupboards were emptied. No guitars missing.
They didn't take pills, or a laptop or anything small. As far as I can tell, they didn't take anything.
I guess they look just for cash. My kids room was hit the hardest.
I guess they know kids have more cash than adults.
Its scary, but more than that, I want to kick the crap out of someone.
They kicked in the front door. No deadbolt.
Its such a small quiet neighborhood, I would have never thought something like this could happen.
Its also a bit weird as my 100 lb dog just died this week.
He was a big softie, but had a good bark and look.
Anyways, I'm all wound up now.

IMG_1706[1].JPG

·
Premium Member
3,190 Posts
Technically...you were burgled. And yes, my Mom (while I was living there) was burgled. My sister's crackhead boyfriend came in and swiped a TV and some other odds and ends. We didn't walk in on him but it was no great mystery. Mostly we felt ...betrayed. My Mom had previously given him a place to live when his own Mom wouldn't have him. Frikken scumbag.

·
Premium Member
25,103 Posts
M room-mate and I got robbed about 35 years back. I was off playing an afternoon gig for the engineering students association, and when I came home the apartment door wouldn't open. I thought my room-mate was being a hardass again about dishes, and blocking the door just to be obnoxious. Turns out the thief/thieves had jammed a chair under the door-handle to block entry so they could scoot out the back door and down the alley if anyne came back while they were at work. The chair, in turn, was an antique chair I had offered to repair for the prof I was working for at Concordia. The glue had just set and all the jarring of the door broke the glue joints and wrecked the chair. They made off with some money, my room-mate's cassette recorder, an old mandolin my mom had bought for me, and a few other things. I miss the mandolin but it was not catastrophic.

But this is NOT your week, is it? I hope next week compensates for this past one, buddy. Lord knows you deserve better.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Shit !!!! So sorry to hear this on top you losing your dog. Hope this crappy luck comes to an end soon. Hang in there.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Sometimes life really likes to challenge us. We bought a nest can about a year ago. Haven’t needed it but after the initial purchase it’s $100 a year and stores everything in a cloud for 10 days.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,250 Posts
Criminals are smarter these days and know if they're caught in an occupied residence assault charges are added to the mix.

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
That sucks hard. Good that nothing is missing but still your space has been violated, and that's not cool. And won't be cool again for a long time.

We just upgraded all the locks in our place and put in a wireless camera system after a scare. They never got to the house, but they were in the yard & sheds fvckin about. I'm dogless too for probably the first time ever.

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Sorry to hear. Install a camera, it's not that expensive anymore these days.

·
Premium Member
17,345 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I think one of my "friends" was the one who robbed me. Someone knew we had left our house, came in and took my electronics and my roommates macbook pro. He was in school so his laptop was covered, but I was out my camera (only gift from first gf), laptop and mp3 player. Whoever did it didnt use force and targeted my room specifically. Given we were gone less than an hour, the thief knew when we had left.

Reactions: Diablo

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It sucks, we are finding that they did take some stuff. My wife had a little box of jewelry and pearls from her mom, and my daughter had a box of coins she was collecting her whole life. It very sad as its nothing of value, but huge sentimental value.
I guess I am lucky I didn't catch them. I probably would have killed them and I would be the one arrested.
I bought these on Amazon for now:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07CQYDJ2Y/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
My wife and I came out one night to go somewhere and there was a guy inside my car going through it. It was a 74 impala custom. I ran up the hood yelling and then got on the roof. I kicked him when he was getting out. He took off and i ran after him yelling drop it because he had a bag that he put my stuff in. He dropped the bag. I got my stuff back and then went inside had a whisky and water then called the cops who arrived about 30 minutes later.

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Careful with social media...posts saying “having an awesome time right now in Puerto Vallarta!” ...or even lunches/dinners etc are a tip-off to unscrupulous ppl in your circle of friends.

In our area, there’s reports of some guy testing if ppls doors are locked, and if they aren’t he comes in....if no ones home, he robs you. If you are home, he pretends to be drunk, confused etc and stumbles out.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Someone kicked in the door to my camp one evening, but must have ran as I crested the hill in the truck. Never took a thing, not even a cold beer out of the fridge. I figured he was close so I fired off a few warning shots.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
In our area, there’s reports of some guy testing if ppls doors are locked, and if they aren’t he comes in....if no ones home, he robs you. If you are home, he pretends to be drunk, confused etc and stumbles out.
I believe that we should have something like a castle law here. Someone comes in like that and if you shoot them it’s all good. There is a deterrence effect to that as opposed to the current hug a thug mentality.

Some of my friends out in the sticks around Newmarket leave their doors open because they think that anyone trying the door will assume that you are home if it’s unlocked. They are mistaken.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
I figured he was close so I fired off a few warning shots.
If you did that in Ontario you’d be looking at 20 years...lol

A few years ago here some fuckers were throwing gasoline bombs at some guy’s house. Basically trying to burn him out and maybe kill him. He fired off a few warning shots and the cops charged him with firearms offences. Down is up and up is down. The idiots in the media were going on about how he must have done something wrong if people were throwing mollitov cocktails at his house.

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
in my case, it was a neighbor who lives in a basement suite across the alley and two houses down. Crimes aren't as random as people think. Soon as we got the cameras up, the truth unfolded.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts