The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Paris, Texas was one of my favourite films he was in. Partly Fiction (2012) is a great biopic of the man. One of a kind.

·
Registered
24,352 Posts
Though he was a terrific actor, a lot of the time it was his basset-hound face that did the acting for him.

I'm very fond of the David Lynch film "The Straight Story". Stanton had a brief but memorable role in it, as the very ill recluse brother of the central character, Alvin Straight (played by the late Richard Farnsworth). The two brothers had been divided for decades by an incident with a woman, and now, nearing his death, the brother finds Alvin on his doorstep, having travelled hundreds of miles on an adapted ride-on lawnmower to see him one last time. The snippet below is dubbed in Italian (the only clip of that scene I could find), but you don't even need the sound. Stanton's and Farnsworth's faces do all the talking that words couldn't accomplish. Keep the kleenex handy.

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
I'm surprised he lived that long, I remember reading he was a pretty hard living guy. Enjoyed most of his work that I've seen.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Sad to hear, but I never realized he was that old!
If you're a fan, Repo Man is a must see.

I'm surprised he lived that long, I remember reading he was a pretty hard living guy.
Nah. ;)
harry-dean-stanton-1.png

1 - 8 of 8 Posts