The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Has anyone here in Canada (and more specifically, Toronto) bought a Harley Benton guitar from Thomann, their dealer, which has its headquarters in Germany?

There are a couple of 4 year-old threads here about this, but I am wondering if anyone has had more recent experience, and if so, what that experience has been?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Just a guess, but probably not.

With the pricing of import guitars here, theres not really a reason to order one.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I bought two last year (I’m closer to Ottawa). Arrived in a few months after ordering. Paid 75 shipping and another 75 to the post office for duty and taxes (I think that’s what it was for). As for the guitars I sold both (Harley Benton teles) as they weren’t as good, in my opinion, as the reviews suggest.

Pm me if you have any specific questions and I’ll try to help.

Dan

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Budda, Doug B and Dan,
Many thanks for your replies.

Dan thanks for being willing to talk more about this. I will PM you.

Doug, my question was about people's experience of the guitars and the process of dealing with Thomann/acquiring a guitar from them - obviously not questions that Thomann could answer.

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
I bought two last year (I’m closer to Ottawa). Arrived in a few months after ordering. Paid 75 shipping and another 75 to the post office for duty and taxes (I think that’s what it was for). As for the guitars I sold both (Harley Benton teles) as they weren’t as good, in my opinion, as the reviews suggest.

Pm me if you have any specific questions and I’ll try to help.

Dan
Crappy to hear. They are probably the only company I have seen offering a nice looking La Cabronita type guitar at good price. Chambered ash at that. I was thinking of getting one and sticking a Squier neck and some TV Jones I have on it. This thread popped up as I was looking at them hah.

I've also really heard nothing but good reviews on the model.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Give it a try, why not?

My experience with ordering stuff from Europe (different hobby) is the sometimes you get dinged with duties and taxes and sometimes you don't. CBSA does not assess all packages, so sometimes you pay nothing at the post office. Sometimes you pay: tax, duty, $10 CBSA fee (they charge you a fee for charging you fees) and brokerage if you used UPS (don't use UPS.)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks torndownunit and sillyak.

I think that I may actually go the - shock, horrow - Aliexpress route, and hope that I do not live to regret those words.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Crappy to hear. They are probably the only company I have seen offering a nice looking La Cabronita type guitar at good price. Chambered ash at that. I was thinking of getting one and sticking a Squier neck and some TV Jones I have on it. This thread popped up as I was looking at them hah.

I've also really heard nothing but good reviews on the model.

Are you able to build a guitar at all? There are some fine cabronita style bodies on eBay from a Quebec seller and if you can piece parts together you can get yourself a great guitar at a decent price point

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks cheezyridr,
Ha!

Actually, I have been considering a Harley Benton TE70 RW, and have been in touch with Thomann about this, as well as talking at length with our own Dan here on CGF, who bought several guitars from Thomann at one time a few years ago.

The HB TE70 RW looks pretty good (although I would definitely upgrade the pick ups), but for some reason I have been leaning more toward one of the Chinese models.

Here is an URL to several photos of the TE70 RW
https://www.thomann.de/intl/ca/harley_benton_te_70_rosewood_deluxe_series.htm

Reactions: cheezyridr

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I got one last year.
I ordered the ash butterscotch tele (~ $155 CA) + some joyo pedals + speaker cabinet with 12" celestion.
Shipping for everything was around $75.
I can't remember what the customs were, probably around $50.
The guitar is ok. It came with pretty high action and super rough frets.
I did a lot of polishing and some minor fret leveling.
The nut is crappy.
The tuners are ok (I am torn -- I like the vintage style peg slots but the tuners themselves are slippy)
It is solid (and heavy).
I like the neck finish (satin) and profile (thick-ish)
The electronics are ok.
The speaker cabinet is fine.
Would I do it again? Probably not, I see a lot of nicer stuff on Kijiji and second stores and I can at least try it first. Also after shipping and customs you aren't far from a squire tele from a local store.

A friend of mine got a group of people together to order several guitars to reduce the shipping overhead ...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got one last year.
I ordered the ash butterscotch tele (~ $155 CA) + some joyo pedals + speaker cabinet with 12" celestion.
Shipping for everything was around $75.
I can't remember what the customs were, probably around $50.
The guitar is ok. It came with pretty high action and super rough frets.
I did a lot of polishing and some minor fret leveling.
The nut is crappy.
The tuners are ok (I am torn -- I like the vintage style peg slots but the tuners themselves are slippy)
It is solid (and heavy).
I like the neck finish (satin) and profile (thick-ish)
The electronics are ok.
The speaker cabinet is fine.
Would I do it again? Probably not, I see a lot of nicer stuff on Kijiji and second stores and I can at least try it first. Also after shipping and customs you aren't far from a squire tele from a local store.

A friend of mine got a group of people together to order several guitars to reduce the shipping overhead ...
Hey Todd,
That was a very comprehensive and useful answer.

Many thanks, I appreciate it.

Reactions: Todd MacCulloch

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've heard good things about the HB guitars on international guitar forums. I'd say go for it.
Thanks cboutilier.

Todd's post in this thread is really informative, and based on that, I have decided to not go the HB route at the moment.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts