The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Ok.

He was wearing a cool shirt.

He played aprox 2.7 billion notes (+/- 5)

The camera didn’t show it but as well as playing two necks with his hands he was playing two with his feet and one with his——wooah—pg rated here.

And uhm ya those were kind of the highlights.

P.S. Wow!
HNG^%$

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
The double neck thing was cool (though I generally roll my eyes at finger tapping; kinda necessary here), but the shazz solo at the start is just a matter of speed and knowing your scales (and no I can't match it; but, to be fair I don't even want to - I've known dudes who could, maybe not quite as fast, and I never stayed in bands with them for long because it turned out we never see eye to eye musically; rigid). I find it boring; what makes music interesting is dynamics and that includes dynamics in terms of timing and note type; rests and accents. There's no groove. A polonaise by Chopin has got more funk.

·
Premium Member
18,990 Posts
This sort of thing brings out several different sentiments in me. First I think holy shit, that's freaking amazing. Then I think, but so musically uninspiring.

Then I realize that most of us, if were able to shred like that, would do so, musical or not.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Couple things... the EVH style stuff at the beginning was good, but not very original. Where I started to appreciate his playing was when he turned off the distortion. A lot can be hidden behind a Metal-Zone. That went on a bit too long. The double neck was cool insomuch as to have the ability to play it, but got ho-hum as well. When you're that good, nothing surprises the viewer.

It makes sense to have a showcase for this guy in the set though. So many guys who can play like this, can't fit in a band situation. Don Henley said: All she wants to do is dance, I'm sure all this guy wants to do is shred. So in order to keep it out of every song, they give him 10min of this.

In the end though, it just reminds me of the Mike Tyson quote: "I can sell out Madison Square Gardens masturbating".

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Hmm. Nothing really original there. He's got a lot of technique under his fingers though. I love some good shred but the overall composition of the "solo" seems piecemealed with some very well known snippets. I did kinda like the Joplin Rag he played there for a bit though. So the Entertainer was entertaining for me.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
Shredding obviously doesnt burn many calories!

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Everybody Jealous? Nope. No need for that. He could've pulled off a MUCH better translation of what he was playing if he did something a little more cohesive for that solo though. He's actually pretty friggin good but he's getting way out of control with that solo that was posted. He pulls off this lead with Iron Cross quite nicely for instance....maybe he should try incorporating some better note choices and phrasing...apparently he's more than capable.

check out the lead here at the 3 minutes mark. More of this nice cohesive lead work and less BS and showing off.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It's true of most musicians. Listening to someone shred on any instrument is actually, for many, an unpleasant or uninteresting experience. You come across the wank vs. cheese divide, where wanking (shredding) is ultimately an expression of one's testosterone-fueled superiority while cheese can ultimately be identified as music for those bereft of testosterone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts