The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow pickers and pluckers:

I am from Burlington, ON and St Thomas, ON (work and home). Just came across the sight browsing some gear on the net.

A special hello to all the blues lover's up in here! Not to play fav's though.

seems like a really good site.

Don't know if it is usual to list gear or not, so just ask if you want to know.

Carl

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Welcome aboard! Sure, list your gear.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Gear

Hey Maxer,

I like YYZ as your location. Are you a pilot?

The signal chain is: (subject to change)
Austin Ironworks strat
Carl Martin comp
Boss CS-2 comp (back-up)
Mesa-Boogie V-twin
Boss OD-3
Ibanez TS-9
Boss CE-2
Carl Martin Red Repeat
Boss RV-2 (back-up)
Hiwatt DR 103
Hiwatt SE 4123

If anybody knows of a Hylight era DR 103 or DR 504 that is reasonably priced (ha that is the catch), pass it along.
2 or 4 input, it doesn't matter. It kills me that 4 input models are more expensive than 2 inputs, and turret board Hiwatts are "worth more" than the PC board Hiwatts of the Hylight Electronics era.
The tone is the same, excepts for the 2 input having a higher gain pre-amp.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
caaustin02,

No, I ain't no pilot. I'm a vector jockey, pixel-pusher and pigment-flinger. Oh, and a guitar strummer.

Good setup you got there. Me, I'm more geared toward software emulation and home recording, not performing live with massive cabinets and monitors and pedals and whatnot.

Cheers!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear ya

I hear ya with the massive cabinets - they are a bitch to lug around, but that is the only way I know how to play. Learning new methods is a bit daunting when I have enough trouble with my existing system/rig.
Maybe I can get my eyes opened here without hanging around a music store for 6 hours a day.

L

·
0 Posts
G'day eh?

Welcome aboard. I also have a Hylight DR 103. Beauties
aren't they. Bought mine in the early nineties for $750
with matching 412 cab (sorry dude, not for sale).
Seen some here at craigslist. Enjoy the hunt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What a Deal!

Laristotle:

The amp and cab for $750 - wow, great deal!
I got my head around the same time. I was only playing guitar for a year and I wanted a Marshall, but they were too expensive. The guy at the music store said they had a British amp in the consignment section that he thought could serve as a substitute. So a bought the Hiwatt for $500.

I almost took it back because the amp was so sensitive, (from pick attack, pick angle etc.) and too loud to be practical.

After learning how to play with the amp, these negatives became a blessing in disguise. Getting the cabinet rounded out the sound so nice.

I wouldn't sell my stuff either, but I do think too much emphasis is put on gear these days. If you are good, you are good. If you can't play that well, then ...

By the way; thanks for the link. Those prices are better than anything on Ebay.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Buddy Guy

I had a chance to see Buddy at the Centre in the Square in Kitchener in Spring '06. His showmanship actually matches his skills as a bluesman. He usually plays the Centre once a year - amazing show, good venue.

He brought out a special guest - Mel Brown. Mel Brown plays frequently at the Boat House in Victoria Park (Kitchener), I think he heads up the house band there. In the '80s Mel was the house act at Antone's in Austin, TX, and Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, etc, would only play if Mel was performing that night.

When Buddy brought him out on stage he said "your health may not be what it used to, but your fingers sure still work. Keep playing man because there is only B.B, you, and me left" (Brown came out with Oxygen tanks to help breath)

Mel Brown is well worth the drive to Kitchener.
I also hear that it is worth the drive to Acton - bought a leather coat there once.

L

·
0 Posts
Planned on going to that show (Buddy's).
Dang! I hate when something pops up that you
can't avoid. Acton's Hide House certainly has
some fine quality stuff there. A little pricey for
some, but worth the quality. My neighbour still
wears the same coat she bought there 25 yrs ago
and it still looks/smells brand new.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Mel Brown was also a regular at the U of Moo - the UC pub, The Keg, back in the late 80s. Great guitar player and showman. I used to catch a lot of blues back in the day, both there and at a couple of downtown bars. Got tired of it after awhile but it always makes a diff when you're catching top-notch talent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts