The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing guitar has taught me is be careful what you think or say, because you will probably prove yourself wrong at some point. I always considered myself a Marshall guy. Fenders were for the bumpkins. Don’t even start with me.... came home today after a shitty week, plugged in my SE with P90’s, through a Blues Driver, into my Blues Junior. Twiddled the knobs for a bit then found an absolutely glorious sound. Smooth overdrive cranking out some classic rock. Even the wife tolerated my playing (Cat left but he’s a dick).

What have been some of your happy musical surprises?

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
My most recent aha! moment occurred during rehearsal, after being disappointed with my amp's place in the mix for most of the evening. Rather than crank the volume (the least elegant solution), I decided to try another Input and suddenly the TONE was all there. I could tell by the smiles & nods of my bandmates that they were finally enjoying where my sound sat in the mix as well. Sometimes it's the simplest solutions that we overlook :)

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
Unfortunatly, Marshalls and i dont get along because of my style of music. I dont rock hard, just enough and prefer any Fender type amp for my ears. Good thing we dont have the same taste as it would be a boring world.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My most recent aha! moment occurred during rehearsal, after being disappointed with my amp's place in the mix for most of the evening. Rather than crank the volume (the least elegant solution), I decided to try another Input and suddenly the TONE was all there. I could tell by the smiles & nods of my bandmates that they were finally enjoying where my sound sat in the mix as well. Sometimes it's the simplest solutions that we overlook :)
Which input? High or ?

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
Which input? High or ?
Hmmm. Good question. My tweed Lancer has four Inputs into 2 channels, just like a 5E3 Deluxe, but they aren't actually labelled (e.g. Bright). I believe it was the one with the least resistance on the mic/instrument channel. I know it cut like a knife though!

·
Premium Member
12,572 Posts
One thing guitar has taught me is be careful what you think or say, because you will probably prove yourself wrong at some point. I always considered myself a Marshall guy. Fenders were for the bumpkins. Don’t even start with me.... came home today after a shitty week, plugged in my SE with P90’s, through a Blues Driver, into my Blues Junior. Twiddled the knobs for a bit then found an absolutely glorious sound. Smooth overdrive cranking out some classic rock. Even the wife tolerated my playing (Cat left but he’s a dick).

What have been some of your happy musical surprises?
I find sometimes my mood will make or break a sound. What I like when I'm in a passive, quiet or happy mood won't necessarily work when I'm feeling pissy or ready to kick stuff around. We all don't hear the same and apparently we all don't always hear the same. That's why I like to have multiple guitars and amps (at least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Sorry you had a shitty week. Hope it turns around for you next week.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I find sometimes my mood will make or break a sound. What I like when I'm in a passive, quiet or happy mood won't necessarily work when I'm feeling pissy or ready to kick stuff around. We all don't hear the same and apparently we all don't always hear the same. That's why I like to have multiple guitars and amps (at least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Sorry you had a shitty week. Hope it turns around for you next week.
Interesting concept. I had to re-read your post but think you might be on to something. Thanks for contributing.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
The OP is pretty much the same story here as well. Been into/played hard rock my whole life and Marshall was the tone for me. Amp was in the shop and I needed one for a gig, so in 2012 I picked up a Blues Junior Limited Tweed. Only reason was I didn't want to spend much money and this one was being cleared out for $400 or so, brand new. This amp also got me much more heavily into Blues (on the Rock side mostly), speaker configurations and TUBE changes, and is probably one of the most incredibly versatile amps I've ever played, even through it's inherent limitations. Fender is now right on par with Marshall Amps and electric guitars, as I'd only owned a LP for electrics up till then.

I also agree totally with @High/Deaf , my mood totally changes the way I hear things and the way I WANT to hear things.

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
Interesting. How so? My plan is to build a Deluxe someday. Until then this Jr will have to do.
When I say Fenderish, I refer to the standard Fender tone: Blackface Deluxe Reverb, Twin Reverb, etc. Scooped mids, shimmering top end, 6L6 and 6V6 amps.

The Blues Jr circuit is laid out more like a Tweed Fender or early Marshall, coupled with its EL84 tubes makes for a middier amp. Same as the Hot Rod/Blues Deluxe/Deville lineups.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
I bought a Deluxe Reverb and thought the Vibrato channel sounded decent enough (it’s the one with the Reverb & Tremolo, so why wouldn’t I use that channel, after all), but then I tried the Normal channel and fell in love with the amp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts