The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ladies and Gentlemen, this process began 11 months ago, in a small town of Ontario. Seeing the blessing in just being Canadian, in our vast Canadian surroundings, in where we are vs where we would have been. Growing up I saw my father continuously read the book Saint, Among the Hurons. The life of St Jean Brebeuf. It’s the best book I’ve ever read. And it actually happened at the very beginning of our Country. Made me realize how much people suffered in bringing our ancestors here in the first place.

Well here we are and what are some of the questions that could be going around in our heads: Had our ancestors never immigrated to Canada, how would my life be today? Would anything be the same.

In the spirit of this, I felt compelled to write a patriotic Canadian Song (in French and English). Oh 150 Cheers (English) and Oh 150 Salut (French). This song will be the instrument by which musicians can enter the contest for free, and get excellent odds at winning some very cool stuff.

Well, I have this crazy idea that I want to offer up pieces from my collection (others are welcome to do the same if they feel inclined). I’m still working out the voting/ballots details (I’m open to offers of assistance. I basically need access to a program that will allow me to issue ballots electronically to email addresses that have registered for the purpose of this month’s contest.

For the month of July, entries will be open to singers (singing to the song version without the vocal track and to solo acts (voice and one instrument played by the singer or accompanist). Solo acts are welcome to re-arrange the song.

Here’s my idea, (again, I’m open to suggestions about this as well). In order to get ballots for the draw, they are earned the following ways: (this is a draft version, I’m hoping that with some help from you all, I’ll finalize the rules and get it solid within the first week. )

- Submit entry to the song contest (one song entry per voice) = 10 ballots

- Vote for version = 1 ballot

- Receive a vote for your song = 1 ballot

- Be the first to repost this contest on another (music / musical instrument based forum) = 3 ballots

(typically there’s a “post every day here” rule to keep the thread up. Well given that I’m needing a ballot system, I don’t know how this could be done)

Recording quality: Just to be very clear, I don't want people to get hung up on recording quality. a zoom 2 track version of yourself is fine.

video / audio only: both are permitted. video will be cool tho.

It’s super late and I wanted everyone to be able to wake to this neat thing that I’ve wanted to do for months now.

Its on Smule to practice to and make your own video. And It’s also on youtube to practice/record with.

Anyone wanting to assist with this Canada 150 giveaway, please PM me. Within the first week, I’ll be finalizing the ballot distribution system. Once that’s done, we can start issuing ballots. Entries are to be put into this thread for us all to see. Welcome to put the same versions in the threads elsewhere. Please post here if the contest has been reposted elsewhere as well.

Here is the SMULE page for the song on that app. both the French and English versions are up there.

this is the tonedripper youtube page where the practice karaoke versions are.

Happy Canada Day everyone. I thank God everyday for our incredible country.

BTW, the prize is going to be one of my guitars. given that it´s a singer - acoustic July contest, I´ll be putting up one , perhaps two of my cherished acoustic guitars.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good time to sharpen the computer skills up. Many I'm sure will just record their solo rendition with a 2 track room recorder. Also the Smule program Is pretty simple to use on the smartphone.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@cboutilier all anyone has to do is do their own
A)
Vocal only over the backing track

B) vocals over single instrument as a duet

(harmonies are encouraged under both circumstances).

To be honest with 12000 members I expected more of a turnout right out of the gate.

L

·
0 Posts
I think that it's because no one's sat around a bondfire.
Best of luck though.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also although we're all guitar enthusiasts, many might not be into performing. Or the like.

I'm a big boy. I can take it.

It's going out on other mediums this week anuway. Time will tell.

L

·
0 Posts
To be honest with 12000 members I expected more of a turnout right out of the gate.
I'm a big boy. I can take it.
Singing your words to your song. Karaoke.
Are changes to chord structure/lyrics allowed?
If so, then it can basically be a 'write/play/record/post a CanDay song' contest.
Judging can done by the amount of 'likes' given a submission.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to say, but your French version with so many grammar and spelling mistakes, is an insult to French Canadians.

Well that why I've asked for help with it. So you're on what side? The help side or the comments side of "your French version is an insult to French Canadians"?

And
If you're able to identify this, (which I've asked for help), then why don't you make it better?

That's what the contest is also about.

And finally why would a French Canadian get insulted by a song with errors in French? Would I be insulted if someone wrote a song in English with gramatical errors? Especially if it weren't their maternal language.

My kids have a term for this. Party pooper.

I officially invite you @BGood to correct my grammar and spelling since you've been kind enough to publicly declare how insulting my French is.

Just so that you know, I decided 10 years ago to only speak French at home with my 4 kids who are now 10-8-6-3 and all trilingual. So I wonder if any other French Canadians would be insulted by that too.

What was that saying from to kill a mocking bird?

About walking in shoes...?

Rant over.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You could have asked for a French spoken person to translate your English version, that would have been more appropriate and respectful. But I won't get into an argument about how bilingualism is a joke in Canada.

To prove to you that I'm not what you think I am, if you send me your English lyrics, I'll be more than happy to adapt them to French.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very cordial and I will consider your offer.

the original version of this song was first written In French my sub standard French as you've pointed out. The English version is the translation.

I don't thing that bilingualism is all that successful however I must say that Canada is French and English. And I love both roots of our country.

And finally your restitution is commendable however you should apologize for what you wrote. If anything was insulting it was reading your post written without consideration, charity or tact. I assume that you are capable of such things.

Respectfully.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
The working language in my office has been 60 - 70 percent Russian for the last 7 years or so. If I had to learn another language that would be it and maybe Mandarin. Funny how it goes.... lol

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
I did start by saying I was sorry to say.
Just an FYI, that expression no longer conveys any sort of regret, remorse, apology etc. It's pretty flippant, and somewhat snarky at times.
You may want to use a term like "Respectfully,....." instead.

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
This reminds me of the time I had to do an interview to get a job......too much work, I opted to be unemployed ;) (version 1)

Reactions: Diablo

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
This reminds me of the time I had to do an interview to get a job......too much work, I opted to be unemployed ;) (version 1)
Tell me about it...most interview processes these days are worse than the actual job if you get it.

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
Tell me about it...most interview processes these days are worse than the actual job if you get it.
It's like hazing if you ask me. I said screw it and got a job with the feds, they have low standards.

Reactions: Diablo
1 - 20 of 20 Posts