The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His guitar sounds may be familiar though his name may not be.

Reactions: Dorian2 and Merlin

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
His name may not be??? Where ya been hiding for the last 50 years? :)
I am not one to remember names, just music. It's just something I am not interested in unless I meet someone personally. It did ring a bit of a bell but I could not have told you who he was or what he did.

·
Registered
24,686 Posts
Hank Marvin is the hero of many subsequent guitar heroes. The prized possession of a late friend of mine (a Brit by origin) was the red-with-white-pickguard Standard Strat his wife bought him; "just like Hank's".

In Ottawa, the Saturday afternoon teen dance show in the 60's was named "Saturday Date". The theme - which I thought was the epitome of rock at the time - was "The Rise and Fall of Fingel Bunt". It was the heaviest thing I had ever heard, and featured Hank Marvin's clean and piercing tones.

·
Premium Member
4,469 Posts
Hank Marvin is the hero of many subsequent guitar heroes. The prized possession of a late friend of mine (a Brit by origin) was the red-with-white-pickguard Standard Strat his wife bought him; "just like Hank's".

In Ottawa, the Saturday afternoon teen dance show in the 60's was named "Saturday Date". The theme - which I thought was the epitome of rock at the time - was "The Rise and Fall of Fingel Bunt". It was the heaviest thing I had ever heard, and featured Hank Marvin's clean and piercing tones.

Mark you remember Saturday date !!!! You are old.LOL. Just kidding my friend. Hank Marvin had 'the' sound back then. He inspired Mark Knoepfler and countless other players. Refreshing to hear even today.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
If you use Spotify or Apple Music you might be able to find Twang! It's a tribute to HM featuring Blackmore, May, Young&Bachman, Iommi, Green, Knopfler, Frampton, Stevens, Urban. I enjoyed the covers of one of their main influences. Hank performs Flingel himself.

[video]

Reactions: mhammer

·
Registered
24,686 Posts
Peter AND Nokie!? Too cool.

Now I want to go in the basement and dig up my pristine copy of The Shadows' Greatest Hits.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In watching a few of the videos of Hank Marvin, I am not only impressed with his playing but how happy he always seems to be. It seems he has almost a constant smile on his face.

·
Registered
24,686 Posts
While Hank is known for that red Strat, for a while the Shadows were to Burns guitars what the Ventures were to Mos-rite.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts