The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Anyone got experience painting their own guitars? Please comment and or show your examples. I am interested in hand painting. I have painted my Gibson SG Fool replica many years ago and now am thinking about painting again.

Any tips or suggestions about finishing the body after the paint job is done?

Thanks PF
Musical instrument Guitar White Light String instrument

Sleeve Font T-shirt Art Bag

Human body Sleeve Gesture Knee Font

Art Event Fashion accessory Carmine Bell

·
Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, 70's Northern Strat Copy
2,692 Posts
IMO, painting a guitar would be for your own preference. It diminishes the value if you want to sell.

I got a great deal on this Gibby DC because it was painted and lightly carved.

View attachment 418158
I like that man. Wanna great deal it to me? uh... I mean hideous, better deal? :D

·
Premium Member
4,280 Posts
IMO, painting a guitar would be for your own preference. It diminishes the value if you want to sell.

I got a great deal on this Gibby DC because it was painted and lightly carved.

View attachment 418158
I’ve seen that guitar and it sounds good but lmao @ light carving. I remember several times toy mentioning selling or trading to get something else. Happy you kept it?

·
Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, 70's Northern Strat Copy
2,692 Posts
Well, I supervised my kids when they did the Thunderfucker. The eldest did the geometry and taping, they shared the painting, and the youngest did the sparkly stars. Tremclad paint and nail polish.

View attachment 418166
I cannot help but wonder two things, firstly did your children name it?? That seems rather adult of them and secondly, did you mistakenly let someone play "Thunderfucker" at that Celtic festival back in 2008 because that would go a long way to explain the rain.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Hey all,

Anyone got experience painting their own guitars? Please comment and or show your examples. I am interested in hand painting. I have painted my Gibson SG Fool replica many years ago and now am thinking about painting again.

Thanks PF
View attachment 418157
View attachment 418156
View attachment 418155
View attachment 418154
You did a nice job on the Fool. I tried to do a replica of Clapton‘s Crash 1 Strat several years ago but quickly realized it was beyond my painting abilities. I can’t figure out how those graffiti guys can use rattle cans without dripping. Anyways, a guy who used to be a member here that was a graphic artist took on the project. It turned out great, in fact it was so great that when he sent a picture of it to “Crash” Matos, he immediately received a cease and desist notice. He made some slight variations on the theme and we completed the deal. I still play it regularly.

Musical instrument Guitar Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory Electronic instrument

·
Premium Member
13,177 Posts
I cannot help but wonder two things, firstly did your children name it?? That seems rather adult of them and secondly, did you mistakenly let someone play "Thunderfucker" at that Celtic festival back in 2008 because that would go a long way to explain the rain.
No, my children did not name it, nor did they learn it until the youngest was of majority age. It was named by a former bandmate upon hearing it. The active EMG P bass pickup may be responsible. As far as I can recall, it never made it to the celtic festival, though I could be mistaken. Some other God was must have been responsible for the rain, the one that assures poor attendance at my gigs.

·
Premium Member
16,541 Posts
I’ve seen that guitar and it sounds good but lmao @ light carving. I remember several times toy mentioning selling or trading to get something else. Happy you kept it?
Keeper for now. I don't have to worry about it getting dinged or scratched.

Reactions: JBFairthorne

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks PF
View attachment 418157
View attachment 418156
View attachment 418155
View attachment 418154

Well, I like it a lot. You could finish it with either poly or Nitro. Rattle cans will do. My opinion is that you'd be best not to worry too much about trying to achieve a factory finish (glassy smooth) with such guitars. Of course, you'll have to remove all the parts first and mask the fretboard carefully.

Depending on whether you choose poly or nitro you'll have slightly different next steps.

Nitro goes on quickly (less time between coats) but takes a while to fully cure.

Either way, worth the effort IMO.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well, I supervised my kids when they did the Thunderfucker. The eldest did the geometry and taping, they shared the painting, and the youngest did the sparkly stars. Tremclad paint and nail polish.

View attachment 418166
Mooh, that's a lifer guitar and an heirloom for one of your kids. Great that you were able to have them create something on one of your guitars/basses. They must have been excited and proud to see daddy play it afterwards.

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I think hand-painted guitars need definition as long as you have a context to where it's being played. Busy detailed designs are great for close up but simple bold designs for the win on stage.

As for rattle cans, they can work but you need lots of polishing and many coats (6, 7 or more) to have a truly professional job.

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
I think hand-painted guitars need definition as long as you have a context to where it's being played. Busy detailed designs are great for close up but simple bold designs for the win on stage.

As for rattle cans, they can work but you need lots of polishing and many coats (6, 7 or more) to have a truly professional job.

Yes, that's true, but as I said, I think trying to achieve a factory-like finish on a textured piece of art like this one would take even MORE than 6 or 7 layers and you'd have a pretty thick coating if you were able to do so. I think it's best to expect and accept some lumps and bumps.

Also, a decent spray rig is not cheap, unless you plan on doing many, most people aren't going to buy that. For the occasional guitar it's most likely going to be rattle cans.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts