The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got it for a steal from a forum member and fellow Montrealer, an amazing guitar for the money. The wood on this peice is every bit as nice as my PRS, fit and finish is exellent, but on this studio not quite as nice as the PRS, it's a '96 and i've read the finish on newer ones is right up there with the best.

The sound is very Lester like and the playability great, again not the PRS. This guitar does sound better to me than the PRS, more of a vintage tone, all subjective of course.

These guitars IMO are killer deals(used), you can get an amazing guitar to bring to bars and pass around for a modest admission fee that hangs with the boutique stuff, or close to it.

some pics: check out that control cavity, and the fugly white knobs, I needed speed knobs, I'll prolly put black ones on when I get a chance...

clicky...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
can't stand tophats...although I left 'em on the greco clown burst next to it( my best sounding, playing and favorite axe ATM, low end one too:D )

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
USA Hamers are great. I have a Mirage II.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've played a few of the imports. The action was very good on all of them, but usually, the electronics were a bit suspect (generally busted volume or tone pots). Seriously thinking of picking up one of the imports and gutting the electronics and starting over.

Brett

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
action on mine is medium-low, I can't get it as low as my other guitars, even though the frets seem in good shape, I may get it plek'ed if the option becomes availlable here.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That guitar looks rather familiar! :D

You did a great job on her Marc. The white speed knobs gotta go though!

Marc aka Screem is a great guy to deal with and a very talented luthier.

Nick

·
Registered
101 Posts
Brett Valentine said:
I've played a few of the imports. The action was very good on all of them, but usually, the electronics were a bit suspect (generally busted volume or tone pots). Seriously thinking of picking up one of the imports and gutting the electronics and starting over.

Brett
Brett,

If you're looking for a Hamer guitar, a used USA model is the way to go. On the used market they can be had for very little $$$. There is absolutely no comparison between a USA model and the imports. None.

Feel free to pm or e-mail me if you have any questions.

Nick

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sw686blue said:
That guitar looks rather familiar! :D

You did a great job on her Marc. The white speed knobs gotta go though!

Marc aka Screem is a great guy to deal with and a very talented luthier.

Nick
Thx for the great axe Nick, was great talking shop with you....me luthier, haha....just a tweeker man :D, let me in on any progress you make on the axe you're building, sure looks like it will be killer :rockon2:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
sw686blue said:
Brett,

If you're looking for a Hamer guitar, a used USA model is the way to go. On the used market they can be had for very little $$$. There is absolutely no comparison between a USA model and the imports. None.

Nick
I'd have to agree the USA Hamer's are hand made by 6 people in one shop...rediculous deals to be had...now!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yup, I'm a fan of the USA Hamer's also. I have a USA Korina Artist with P-90s. Bought it used (nearly mint condition) for a really great price. Very high-quality instrument, for sure.

Cheers,
Blair

·
Registered
546 Posts
I played that guitar. Marc I like it better than your Greco, even your PRS.

That thing sounds great and can really roar.

It would take me a while to get used to the look of three knobs in a row.

It is such a good player.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the knob placement is funky, but works well. The guitars best quality is it's note separation in chords, even under mega satuuration, dunno if it's the guitar or the duncan pups?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts