The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's picked it up?

Personally I'm neither here nor there on it. That said I've only played for maybe an hour, too busy with work.

The graphics are sub par, but I could see how the online play could be a blast. Gears and Bioshock both look head over heals better visually.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Who's picked it up?

Personally I'm neither here nor there on it. That said I've only played for maybe an hour, too busy with work.

The graphics are sub par, but I could see how the online play could be a blast. Gears and Bioshock both look head over heals better visually.
I like shooters, but I'm not big on online. I won't buy this until I'm done Bioshock and by that point Call of Duty : Modern Combat should be out, so I'll probably skip Halo 3 all together

·
Registered
748 Posts
Halo3 has made me consider getting an Xbox360... however, i've owned pretty much every system since the Nintendo, and if history is any sign, i'll get bored with it, and sell it shortly after that.

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
FP, sell it to me then :p

i havent played it yet, but i want to.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Halo3 has made me consider getting an Xbox360... however, i've owned pretty much every system since the Nintendo, and if history is any sign, i'll get bored with it, and sell it shortly after that.

Xbox 360 isn't just a game machine. You can stream music/pictures/videos to it from you PC or Mac. This fall, Canada is finally getting downloadable content, as in TV shows and movies. It's more than just a game system.

Add in awesome games like Gears of War, Bioshock, Rainbow Six and Halo3. You'll be upset with yourself for wasting too much time on it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My youngest son (17) picked it up yesterday, and him and his buddies commandeered the TV and played it all night last night. The verdict seems to be "YES!!". Me, I'm too old, don't see what the hubbub's all about. I'd rather spend the money on a stompbox.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
If you like single player campaign. Bioshock hands down.
+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Bioshock is the closest videogames have ever come to being true meaningful art. I'm working through it now. This might be the best game I've ever played.

Plot description from IGN :
BioShock is a unique game that mixes a spine-chilling setting illustrated with art deco art and architecture, sci-fi themes of bio-genetic mutation and self-modification, a deep storyline with open-choice freedom to interact with the world as you choose, and first-person action that requires you to think every time you pull the trigger. After your plane crashes into icy uncharted waters, you discover a rusted bathysphere and descend into Rapture, a city hidden beneath the sea. Constructed as an idealistic society for a hand picked group of scientists, artists and industrialists, the idealism is no more. Now the city is littered with corpses, wildly powerful guardians roam the corridors as little girls loot the dead, and genetically mutated citizens ambush you at every turn.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Bioshock is the closest videogames have ever come to being true meaningful art. I'm working through it now. This might be the best game I've ever played.

BioShock is a unique game that mixes a spine-chilling setting illustrated with art deco art and architecture, sci-fi themes of bio-genetic mutation and self-modification, a deep storyline with open-choice freedom to interact with the world as you choose, and first-person action that requires you to think every time you pull the trigger. After your plane crashes into icy uncharted waters, you discover a rusted bathysphere and descend into Rapture, a city hidden beneath the sea. Constructed as an idealistic society for a hand picked group of scientists, artists and industrialists, the idealism is no more. Now the city is littered with corpses, wildly powerful guardians roam the corridors as little girls loot the dead, and genetically mutated citizens ambush you at every turn.
Nothing beats mutants and corpses all over the place, IMO. I have to get this game.

I

·
0 Posts
Came home from work on Friday and what was sitting on the counter? A shiny new XBox and the Halo 3 Legendary Edition. Man, my wife is awesome. She thought I was looking a little stressed and over worked. I finally had a chance to sit down and play through the first bit of Halo 3 on Sunday afternoon. I like it. But maybe I'm just a sucker for the franchise now. Fast action. Intense. Long bouts without levels loading in the foreground. The graphics are updated over the old games. I'm sure it's not pushing the system to the limits, but I'll take a margin of safety it means my game play is always fast and furious. And so far, it has been.

Xbox 360 isn't just a game machine. You can stream music/pictures/videos to it from you PC or Mac. This fall, Canada is finally getting downloadable content, as in TV shows and movies. It's more than just a game system.
I have to say that while all the software is there for this box to all that stuff. And I'm sure the content is coming along. The system itself is too damn noisy for me to use for anything other than games. Maybe music. That cooling fan noise would drive me nuts while I was watching a movie.

Edit: And I'm seriously disappointed the helmet from the Legendary Edition can't be worn. I thought I was going to get to wear it. :(

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Came home from work on Friday and what was sitting on the counter? A shiny new XBox and the Halo 3 Legendary Edition. Man, my wife is awesome. She thought I was looking a little stressed and over worked. I finally had a chance to sit down and play through the first bit of Halo 3 on Sunday afternoon. I like it. But maybe I'm just a sucker for the franchise now. Fast action. Intense. Long bouts without levels loading in the foreground. The graphics are updated over the old games. I'm sure it's not pushing the system to the limits, but I'll take a margin of safety it means my game play is always fast and furious. And so far, it has been.

I have to say that while all the software is there for this box to all that stuff. And I'm sure the content is coming along. The system itself is too damn noisy for me to use for anything other than games. Maybe music. That cooling fan noise would drive me nuts while I was watching a movie.

Edit: And I'm seriously disappointed the helmet from the Legendary Edition can't be worn. I thought I was going to get to wear it. :(
Well I find the 360 is the loudest during game play because of the GPU working the hardest. Playing music and even being a Media Center Extender doesn't tax it and it's not loud at all.

HD-DVD play back is a little louder because the 360 does the work of decoding, and it requires a bit of HP.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I am very underwhelmed with Halo 3. I enjoyed both 1 and 2 but 3 just seems so ordinary to me both in single player and multiplayer. the only wow factor has been the films you can save and share. It is a good game but not a great one. I think the HalfLife Orange Box is going to be something special and Call of Duty Modern Warfare looks like fun. Also Moto GP 07 is taking up some of my time.

I

·
0 Posts
I finished the solo game tonight. I liked it. A lot. The story was great. The ending was almost perfect. The pace was insane. I was a little queasy after the last bit of action with all the adrenalin surging through me.

With that out of the way I'm all set to get back into the XBL community and dive into the online side of the game. Arguably Halo is foremost an online experience. I've heard nothing but great things about XBL-based co-op mode. I've got a meet up tomorrow night to try the first level with two other friends on Heroic (I finished solo on Normal). Depending on how that goes we may even switch to Legendary. And after that a little all-night frag fest on Saturday with some friends who are scattered across the continent. And this time we'll be playing custom games on custom maps. Now that is damn cool.

I think back to my first year at university, 1996. We all had shiny new Pentiums with token ring cards in them. We ran coax out the windows from dorm room to dorm room to get our ring set up. And we'd spend hours drinking, insulting and fragging each other in Team Fortress. It was fun then, and it's only gotten better over the years. Now I don't have to be less than 50 feet away from my friends. My screen is HUGE and the graphics are lush and dimensional. And the game play mechanics have gotten insanely polished.

I'm a happy Halo 3 player. :smile:

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts

I picked this up last night, will give it a try over the weekend.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I Got halo, Its awesome online, and campaign. Too bad I cant get Live at my house... Should probably try bioshock out.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts

I was thinking of getting BioShock. I have a AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core with 1GB of RAM and an ATI 1650 Pro 512MB Video Card. Does my computer have enough spunk to run it??? I've been out of PC gaming for a few years so I really have no idea anymore.

I need a good FPS.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts