The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else dealing with it? I've been slowly losing my hair since my early 20's. It doesn't really bother me, but I do think think I'll need to start buzzing it down at some point.

What are you experiences? Any head shavers here?

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
Not shaved, but buzzed. Always had a “high forehead “ but find the #1 buzz cut all over very easy to deal with.

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
Summer 2018
IMG_0651 (1).JPG

Victim.JPG

First shot is this summer. The second is 1989 (second from the right.

It's funny, but I started shaving my head around 1996 as a charity fund raiser. After looking at myself for a few days like that, I thought, it's not bad.

Not being a particularly good looking guy, I figured this is easy to take care of and it's MUCH better (less pathetic) than comb over or a rug.

The ironic thing is, that while I've been shaved to the wood over the past 24 years or so, I've likely gone bald(ish).

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Yup, big ole hole in the back starting in mid 30's, receding and thinning into 40's. Been shaving to 1/4" or 1/8" for 15 years (now 55). Haven't had the guts to go naked yet, and mrs hates it getting shorter and shorter, but wtf am I gonna do if I grow out what's left? F that. Been contemplating the razor for a couple months now.

FWIW don't care, doesn't bother me. I got over that when I dumped the mullet, admittedly far too late, in the mid 90's.

Bastard younger brother has Dad's hairline, he died at 66 with a full thick head of hair.

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
it's MUCH better (less pathetic) than comb over or a rug.
Milk! Welcome back brother!
I actually had a friends wife ask me how my wife got me to “cut it all off” as he has the comb over going on, in not a good way.

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
Milk! Welcome back brother!
I actually had a friends wife ask me how my wife got me to “cut it all off” as he has the comb over going on, in not a good way.
Thanks Bud, Nice to be back.

Once you get into the habit, shaving is really not tricky at all. You just have to develop a procedure to shave around the ears. Other than that, shaving your head is easier than shaving your face.

·
Registered
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been thinning at the crown and temples almost twenty years now. I've noticed the crown is getting a lot more noticeable lately. I got a painful reminder every time I get my hair cut and they hold the mirror up to the back of my head. I keep saying to myself, "Wow, my bald spot is getting worse."

·
Registered
24,686 Posts
I joke to people now that I have a "trade surplus" with respect to hair these days: more going out than coming in.
Now that I'm retired and don't have to look respectable, it's been a little over a year since I went for a haircut. There's a little pony-tail in the back now, but whenever I brush the hair in the morning to get it ready for the elastic, there's more in the brush than I care to see. Some of that is likely due to male pattern baldness (though my dad's side of the family kept their hair a long time), and some is likely due to the diabetes, which has robbed me of pretty well all the hair on my legs and a bit on my chest. I miss having hair on my legs. As much an indicator of being "grown-up" to some of us as having a driver's license.

Growing frustrated with what I was finding in the hairbrush, I investigated Rogaine shampoos at the pharmacy. It runs about $50/month and they recommend at least 4 months before you get noticeable results. Those results require maintenance with more Rogaine. So, we're talking hundreds of dollars to have something to brush. I'm not that vain, but I am that frugal. So the Rogaine remains on the pharmacy shelf.

·
Registered
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll admit I tried Minoxidil shampoo many years ago, but it didn't work and there's no way I could justify the cost now.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
I am lucky, baldness does not run in either side of my family. So at 56 I am still pretty much as I was in my 20's. I have a few friends that struggles with and some that tried everything under the sun to deal with it, nothing work.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Not lucky enough to loose the damn shit it just keeps growing and I hate going for haircuts mostly because they all seem to be able to NOT cut it the way I like it and if you go to magic cut they do it by numbers wtf right everybody's needs are different so my wife won't let me shave it says I look like a refugee from say crazy country.
Oh well what can we do right some will loose and others not.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
#1 buzz every three weeks here. A buddy in the US was losing his fast and went with the Rx Propecia or whatever it’s called. Worked for him and brought his hair back. Was too late for me to try.

L

·
0 Posts
Past my shoulders in a pony tail most of the time. Receding up front.
I also pull out clumps from my brush.
Eventually, when it gets thinner, I'll braid and scalp what's left and hang it on a nail.

Use to work with a guy whose hair was so thin that when he had it in a pony tail,
coworkers would call him 5-strand.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
I shave my head, but not because I am losing my hair - I do it because I like it.

I don't understand guys who get all worked up about losing their hair. So many people these days shave their heads that it is a common look, so why fight the hair loss? Just shave it and be done with it. Personally, I would love to lose my hair as it would eliminate the need to shave it once a week!

·
Registered
11,956 Posts
There's a guy at work that kept his mullet, but has gone pretty well bald up top, we call it a skullet. :)

It's your mother that you can thank for the baldness, that gene is carried by the women.

No issues here with hair loss, but if there was, I'd certainly buzz it off.

P

·
0 Posts
There's a guy at work that kept his mullet, but has gone pretty well bald up top, we call it a skullet. :)

It's your mother that you can thank for the baldness, that gene is carried by the women.

No issues here with hair loss, but if there was, I'd certainly buzz it off.
A friend used to say man is evolving into a hairless being, so he was a more advanced species, as he was starting to bald in high school.

I thought testosterone had something to do with baldness. Have you noticed to really fit "Mesomorph: Muscular and well-built, with a high metabolism and responsive muscle cells." type guys go bald early, while the more girly men keep their hair?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts