The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from seeing Colin James perform in Vancouver at the Centre. His go to guitar for most of the night was a Hagstrom Viking. He sounded awesome. I looked them up and saw that they are only $500. Have any of you guys played one of those?

None

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I've tried the new Swede. Plays great, workmanship is excellent. Hard to believe it is made in China. I think the price is about $460 for that model.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a nice looking guitar. I have an Epi Dot 335. It's about 10 years old and sounds great but I really liked the look of that Hagstrom Viking - and it's only about $500. By the way Colin James had great tone during the show. He was running two Fender (??Twin Reverbs??) and a Matchless head on a 2x12 cab. Great show.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
If you haven't tried one of the new Hagstroms, you might be surprised. Really nice guitars and at the current street prices, it's hard to say no.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
You guys are right, just checked out the site and they have some very nice guitars..I like the Swede as well.
For the quality and price I think I owe them a test drive.

The site did not list dealers, do you know of one in the Toronto area?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
He's playing in Toronto next week at Massey Hall and I got my tickets 3 months ago. It'll be strange seeing him without his CS Strat which he used the last time I saw him at the Palis Royale.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CJ put on a great show. Sounded amazing and man can he play. The opening act was pretty good as well. Got my tickets the day they went on sale. Now I'm looking forward to Clapton and Robert Cray in Vancouver in March. Tickets were kind of expensive but I haven't seen either in concert. Can't wait.

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have two Hagstroms, a '80 Swede (VSB) and a '65 Hagstrom II (3toneSB)
and they sound beautiful. Almost enuff to to buried in the afterlife with it.
Well known for the super-fast slim neck
Check out the Hagstrom UK site/forum, You'll find many devoted fans dating back to the 60's. Glad to see they're back in production, but the new ones don't have the 'look' that goes with the feel. Never did like the faux yellowed antiqued look on anything, and the F-200/300s look off balance IMHO, flame-top headstock looks to big for the body, only seems to have the white sparkly pickguard.
Glad to hear a good review of the NOS.
There was a Hagstom II 12-string at Songbird in TO a few months ago, its off there website now. They may have it still. There is a 70's Swede at the Songbird in Ottawa here.
Tons on eBay, where I got my Hag II for $430cdn
Beats the deal on my Swede, hard case, 90's Crybaby and Ross 10w amp for a mear $40 off my neighbour. Probobly be my first and last guitar, with many in-between, and most likely a Viking in the mix

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Stratin2traynor said:
CJ put on a great show. Sounded amazing and man can he play. The opening act was pretty good as well. Got my tickets the day they went on sale. Now I'm looking forward to Clapton and Robert Cray in Vancouver in March. Tickets were kind of expensive but I haven't seen either in concert. Can't wait.

:food-smiley-004:
We checked out CJ a few years back at an outdoor venue here in St Catharines. At one point in the show he jumped off the stage and over a fence enclosing the venue, he ran out into the middle of the road and stopped traffic while he played a guitar solo. It was up there on the all time bizarre sites list.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Went down to Ring Music to look at the Viking today and was very impressed, even though I got the Guitar shop players block...hate that!!
The tones and flexability was outstanding, the quality was good as well..could not find a fault.
Neck was nice and slim, very fast feeling.

The Swede was also impresive plays like a dream, the boost? switch was prety cool, gives you a few more options.

Check them out if you get a chance!!
I think I am selling off my Strat and getting the Viking and maybe the Swede, $1200 two guitars..why not eh!

Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thats what I did with my '88 MIJ Strat, got a '65 Hagstrom II
The neck is only 1 1/2 at the nut, vs a Strats thinnest type A 1 5/8
Still drool when I see a Viking tho...hopefully next on my listNone

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Bought a Hag III back in 71' and still have it. Very unique sound and great neck.

Unfortunately one of the slider switches blew out it's top and I'm searching for a replacement now.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GuitarsCanada said:
We checked out CJ a few years back at an outdoor venue here in St Catharines. At one point in the show he jumped off the stage and over a fence enclosing the venue, he ran out into the middle of the road and stopped traffic while he played a guitar solo. It was up there on the all time bizarre sites list.
That's hilarious. He walked off the stage during this show and played while walking through the aisles and interacting with the audience. Much like Buddy Guy who I saw at the Commodore Ballroom last year. Another fantastic show. He was sitting on a bench 5 feet away from me playing away. Great showman.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a beautiful '66 Hagstrom Viking 1 and beleive me; the new ones are not the same.
I don't think Colin James' Viking is a new one either.
However, it does have the later humbuckers instead of the single coils like mine.
Try to find a vintage one; not much more than the new re-issues that are made in China.
Swedish guitars rule!!!

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Ahh, the fretless wonders... Nothing feels like an old Hagstrom neck.

If you have the chance, you should definitely try an old Viking before buying a new one.

Here's my '67 Hagstrom III

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Stratin2traynor said:
That's hilarious. He walked off the stage during this show and played while walking through the aisles and interacting with the audience. Much like Buddy Guy who I saw at the Commodore Ballroom last year. Another fantastic show. He was sitting on a bench 5 feet away from me playing away. Great showman.
Wild, we have tickets to see Buddy Guy in Hamilton, late April I think. Looking forward to that one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts