The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
How much like a Les Paul is this axe? Or is not.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's got so many different sounds..one toggle changes tones! It's sustain is awesome & can get a nice bite going as well as chunky lows. I really am impressed by this thing! :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...any tuning issues?

i owned one of these back in the very early 70s. it was impossible to tune.

we took it to a number of techs, and eventually back to hagstrom - never did get the problem resolved.

how is the neck...chunky like a les paul?

-dh

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put #10 guage XL's on it..so far it's ok for holding it's tune. It will wander after a few wildass rock songs but it's liveable! :banana: :rockon2:
I've been blazing some old Guess Who songs on it & luv the vintage tones. This thing is a blast. I'm 6'5" & the neck fits my wide paw nicely! :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
We have a wine-coloured Swede here at work... nice fit and finish, good neck & body binding... good neck, period - great action out of the box. I wouldn't call it a super-chunky neck - it's fairly svelte, actually, but it's still substantial. I like it a lot. We got this and three or four other Hagstroms as product placement for episodic TV.... rosewood fretboard, mahogany neck... Made In China. I love this thing. I hope to be able to buy it when we're done.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Globalism's a b!tch. Check your shoes and other clothing items. Check your plastics, too. Gonna be a loooooooong list, man.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Well, made in China pretty much rules it out for me. It may be a good guitar but I cannot participate in the exploitation of slave labour. TG
...problem is, most countries that manufacture the goods we buy have some repugnant skeletons in their closet.

as an anti-american, how do i justify owning much of the gear that i have?

-dh

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Put another way, many of the Chinese making this stuff are playing catch-up with North American consumer lifestyle standards... not that this is an entirely good thing for the planet, but that's another story. The fact is most of them are glad to have high-paying jobs which provide for bigger and better housing, more perks, better opportunities for their kids, etc. In short, doing stuff which sounds pretty familiar to most of us.

Calling it slave labour strikes me as quaint... that mindset hearkens back to the Cold War. Fact is, these guys are cleaning up. China is leading the way but the entire Pacific Rim is gearing up with an already tremendous industrial momentum. Yes, there are labour abuses. Yes, there are pollution issues. However, North American records are hardly spotless; these issues afflict many industries right here at home.

We can't turn back the clock no matter how much we might wish to.

Howver, for those who can't stomach putting food in Chinese stomachs by purchasing Chinese-made guitars, may I suggest a fine alternative: Godin. Parts crafted here, assembled Stateside... very good quality, too.

In time, Chinese, Korean and Indonesian-made gear will cost more for us to buy... because of the cyclical nature of nations and the way they industrialize and accrue power. Meanwhile, we better keep our own knowledge-based industries going because at this rate we're going to run out of things to make. We're already at a crossroads for vehicle manufacture in North America. Other things are sure to follow. If we stop making stuff we had better be damned good at dreaming up ideas we can sell.

OK, back to Hagstroms. I for one am glad to see the name and the tradition return. I like what I've seen of the new stuff. I'd love to have an old Swede, of course. But the new stuff ain't half bad.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Put another way, many of the Chinese making this stuff are playing catch-up with North American consumer lifestyle standards... not that this is an entirely good thing for the planet, but that's another story. The fact is most of them are glad to have high-paying jobs which provide for bigger and better housing, more perks, better opportunities for their kids, etc. In short, doing stuff which sounds pretty familiar to most of us.

Calling it slave labour strikes me as quaint... that mindset hearkens back to the Cold War..
I'm not going to get in a full blown discussion here, but there is nothing "quaint" about slave labour. People literally locked in factories, people found hostage in the basement, people who get no days off, people forced to work 24 hour shifts, none of this evokes a rewriting of Western history as a means of self-justiricatoin

I highly question your "facts." These people are not "glad" to have these supposedly high paying jobs (again, where did you get this fact). If such jobs beat starving, the bigger question is "why does anyone in a world of such wealth only have these two options"? That question starts an entirely different discussion.

These are massive questions, and it takes me four months in my course to even begin addressing them. This simply isn't the place to have this discussion but I lead fairly lively debates in my course at the U of A.

TG

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Globalism's a b!tch. Check your shoes and other clothing items. Check your plastics, too. Gonna be a loooooooong list, man.
The fact that its hard to even buy clothes that are not made in China or Bangladesh is exactly why I won't buy a Chinese made guitar. There is still some choice in guitars and I don't want to play an active role in reducing it. This isn't about xenophobia or blaming foreign labour. It's about trying to help change/overcome the systems which create these conditions.

TG

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
LOL

Okay, whatever - have it your way, but from here it merely sounds as if you are bragging that you're a university student and can hold up your end of a lively debate. Well, bully for you. But then you proceed to declare that this is neither the time nor the place for such a debate... fine, although it's you who opened it up by saying you won't buy a Hagstrom made in China. Want to have your cake and eat it too?

I suppose that, if you are to permit any further debate, I must enroll in a course as well? Will that establish sufficient cred?

Fine... okay! I get it - China = bad; Hagstroms made in China = bad. Kewl logic.

·
Registered
133 Posts
chinese people need jobs to
and
i wish we had more 'budget friendly choices' made here but we don't

anything made outside canada is a foreign product,including all our beloved american gear (i have some myself)

the global encomony isn't a bad thing,it's just the way it is

in the near future we might be making cheaper stuff for the chinese

facts are what they are,
we have fewer and fewer manfacturing jobs that pay enough to live on
because we want so much more money as workers than what people
in the 3rd world do

don't get me wrong
i have no idea how to make any of this better

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
LOL

Okay, whatever - have it your way, but from here it merely sounds as if you are bragging that you're a university student and can hold up your end of a lively debate. Well, bully for you. But then you proceed to declare that this is neither the time nor the place for such a debate...

I suppose that, if you are to permit any further debate, I must enroll in a course as well? Will that establish sufficient cred?

Fine... okay! I get it - China = bad; Hagstroms made in China = bad. Kewl logic.
My intent wasn't to belittle or dismiss anyone, although I can see why people would read my post in that way. All I meant was that in an unstructured environment such as a BB, these debates quickly spin out of control, go on tangents, and nobody really ever truly assumes the burden of truth (i.e. there are a lot of "facts" thrown about).

I've studied this stuff in some detail, and sometimes it irks me that others simply dismiss statements they don't like as merely my personal opinion. FWIW, I don't take the course, I teach it. That doesn't mean anything in an of itself and I hardly claim to know everything or have all the solutions. However, I know enough to question many assumed "facts" and things that "everyone knows." Quite often such positions simply take established systems as necessary, natural, and inevitable. It takes a lot of work to even recognize the problems and assumptions within such positions. Beginning this process is not amendable to BB discussions.

Happy playing,

TG

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
OK, that's better. I feel I have a better perspective on you now. You teach a course of some sort - fine. Please note that I am not trying to say that Chinese political, cultural and industrial practices are equivalent to American or Canadian or European ones. They are very different, certainly. I suppose I am more interested in where they intersect, whereas you see where they branch off. And while I can appreciate the grand notion of assuming the burden of truth, I find it fascinating how often people can come up with different definitions of said truths.

At any rate, you may actually have been right from the get-go: this is neither the time nor the place. We are stealing the thunder of the fellow who started this thread. And speaking of danbo:

Hey, congrats, man. I think they're fine guitars myself. Your mileage may vary, but for your sake I hope not!

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Ahhh, Sweden. Between the girls and the guitars it's a wonder that they never ruled the world :food-smiley-015:

For the record, I loved my 64'......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts