The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
61 - 80 of 602 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you TD. I had a HIIN bought new back when I was a kid and sold it when I was 21 ish when life kicked in and I stopped playing. 20 Years later I picked up a guitar again haven't stopped looking for the guitar that would totally please me... I found this one locally last week and had to have it. It plays pretty good. Neck is incredible. No wonder I keep talking about the one I let get away from me.It has the same Dimarzio bridge pickup that I had installed when I got the guitar. I think it may be my guitar 38 years later... I can't remember if I had the trem bar or not... What are the odds of finding another with the same Dimarzio pickup... Wish I had a pic of it from back in high school... Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thank you TD. I had a HIIN bought new back when I was a kid and sold it when I was 21 ish when life kicked in and I stopped playing. 20 Years later I picked up a guitar again haven't stopped looking for the guitar that would totally please me... I found this one locally last week and had to have it. It plays pretty good. Neck is incredible. No wonder I keep talking about the one I let get away from me.It has the same Dimarzio bridge pickup that I had installed when I got the guitar. I think it may be my guitar 38 years later... I can't remember if I had the trem bar or not... What are the odds of finding another with the same Dimarzio pickup... Wish I had a pic of it from back in high school... Thanks for your help.
My pleasure Pista, enjoy your (new) old friend!

TD

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
Guitar String instrument Musical instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments
Your Swede was made in production run # 895, which produced 500 Swede guitars in 1974. Yours was the 66th one made in that run.

TD
I’m looking back here again after some years. Thanks TD for all your good work here.
Let me throw another question here: My ‘74 Swede does not have a pick guard. It looks like it has never been installed on my guitar - no vacant screw holes where you would expect them; not a sign. I thought that all Swedes came with pick guards that were then religiously discarded by owners. Any thoughts?

I ended up keeping my Swede. Original pickups were shot when I bought it so after several changes I ended up with JLollar P90s. These sound and look amazing.
Cheers!

·
Registered
573 Posts
View attachment 231410
I’m looking back here again after some years. Thanks TD for all your good work here.
Let me throw another question here: My ‘74 Swede does not have a pick guard. It looks like it has never been installed on my guitar - no vacant screw holes where you would expect them; not a sign. I thought that all Swedes came with pick guards that were then religiously discarded by owners. Any thoughts?

I ended keeping my Swede. Original pickups were shot when I bought it so after several changes I ended up with JLollar P90s. These sound and look amazing.
Cheers!
The Lollar's look great in your Swede. Regarding the pickguard all Swede basses left the factory without a pickguard mounted onto them. There were a few (I have pics) of Swede guitars like yours that also left the factory without a pickguard mounted onto the body, but as a rule the factory did put a pickguard onto each Swede guitar and that includes the Super Swede and Ultra Swede models.

I'd love to see your Swede in person as I'm regularly in Collingwood on business.

TD

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
View attachment 231410

I ended keeping my Swede. Original pickups were shot when I bought it so after several changes I ended up with JLollar P90s. These sound and look amazing.
Cheers!

Having the good fortune to call you friend, I’ve had the good fortune to play this guitar with the p90s. And I can confirm, they sound and look amazing.

Welcome back! What’s for sale???

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
From a book "Super Swede - Hagströms Gitarrer 50 År" by Mikael Jansson (2008), some info related to the Swede:
Hagstrom LP (1970-1971), Swede/HG-803 (1970-1982).
Body and neck - mahogany,
Fretboard - ebony.
Bolt-on neck (from 1976 bolt-on and glued-in). The first series had one neck bolt, latter series had two.
Scale length 630mm (24-3/4").
Swede De Luxe (1977-1980) and Super Swede (1980-1983) had set neck and 655mm (25-3/4") scale.
A little ove 8,000 LP/Swedes were made, some 1,500 DL/Super Swedes.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thank-you so much Thornton for the specific information on my Hagstrom guitar.

I was considering selling it. Do you think I’d be better off keeping it in terms of its potential future value.
Unfortunately, the H-II-N isn't one of those vintage instruments that's in high demand so their value will never increase the way a Gibson SG from the same era will although they will increase in value just like most things. My suggestion is, if you're enjoying playing it keep it.

And you're welcome. I'm happy to provide the specific manufacturing info when I can.

TD

61 - 80 of 602 Posts