The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum!
So I recently ran into a problem I was looking for some help to fix. I've got a Hagstrom Swede that I wanted to wire out-of-phase in the middle position, as I rarely use the regular middle humbucker sound.
I looked at the wiring diagram, and it has the the black and shield going to ground, and the white wire hot. When I took the back off, unsoldered the pickup, and stripped back the wire slightly, there were only two showing: the white and the shield. I assume this means the black wire and the shield are possibly interconnected, but does that mean it's not possible to flip the phase through wiring?
The pickups are covered, so flipping the magnet would be a bigger chore, but is that my only option? Is there a different way to wire it out of phase?
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I recently installed a Seymour Duncan neck pup in a tele. It was out of phase with the stock bridge the first time. Check their web site for instructions to change phasing on the pup. I had to clip the wire on the neck pup and reverse the leads. White was now hot ,black was grounded and I had to tie a ground wire to the bridge plate as I recall. That put my pups in phase. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
The shield wire should only go to the metal chassis (baseplate and/or cover) of the pup. Just switch white and black and bob's yer uncle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts