The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,236 Posts
35 Years back, we had a pair of budgies named Tex and Edna (after the SCTV sketch) in Edmonton, that I made a big cage for. One nice summer day I put the cage out back, but through an optical illusion, I thought the door was pulled shut when it wasn't. The pair made their way out and sat in the tree they were parked under for a while, but I could not lure or shoo them back. I hope they made their way somewhere warmer than Edmonton before it got cold.

Someone must have made a similar sort of mistake somewhere with that lovebird. I hope, if it doesn't find its way back to its owner/home, it makes it somewhere hospitable.

There was an interesting documentary a couple years ago about a parrot colony on a major hill in central San Francisco. It developed from the gathering and reproduction of parrots that had found their way outside. The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill - Wikipedia

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Better than my visitors. Just had an opossum nearly run right into me last night as I was tending my tomatoes out back. Finally saw me when I turned around (cuz I saw him) and he did this retarded flip around in the air right in front of me and ran off the way he came. Hilarious.

But the skunks (so many this year). Driving me bonkers - they don't even try to stay away (also I suspect they don't see too well in the dark; don't have to). Starting to lay down some counter measures, cuz they just pop out of places and from around corners/bushes and raise a tail atcha like it's your fault.

Reactions: Kenmac

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a cockatiel land on my arm in Mississauga one fall. Couldn’t find the owner so I kept it. !!
How long did you have the cockatiel for? I know parrots live a long life.

The same thing happened to my aunt.
Cool. :)

Look at those colours !!!!
Yeah, it's hard to see in the photos but he also has some blue on the bottom part of his tail feather.

35 Years back, we had a pair of budgies named Tex and Edna (after the SCTV sketch) in Edmonton, that I made a big cage for. One nice summer day I put the cage out back, but through an optical illusion, I thought the door was pulled shut when it wasn't. The pair made their way out and sat in the tree they were parked under for a while, but I could not lure or shoo them back. I hope they made their way somewhere warmer than Edmonton before it got cold.

Someone must have made a similar sort of mistake somewhere with that lovebird. I hope, if it doesn't find its way back to its owner/home, it makes it somewhere hospitable.

There was an interesting documentary a couple years ago about a parrot colony on a major hill in central San Francisco. It developed from the gathering and reproduction of parrots that had found their way outside. The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill - Wikipedia
Sorry to hear about your budgies leaving you Mark. Hopefully nothing bad happened to them. As far as my "visitor" I really hope he'll make out okay. He seemed very friendly.

At least he'll be comfortable in our steamy-hot jungle weather. Maybe he's just escaping air conditioning for a while. ;)
Yeah it's been jungle weather for the past week or so but it's cooling off a bit on Friday and Saturday but Sunday it's supposed to start heating up again. That'll make Wardo happy. ;)

Bring him in otherwise the crows will get him.
I really wish I could have brought him in but I have three cats and I'm sure they'd all be licking their chops if they saw him.

Better than my visitors. Just had an opossum nearly run right into me last night as I was tending my tomatoes out back. Finally saw me when I turned around (cuz I saw him) and he did this retarded flip around in the air right in front of me and ran off the way he came. Hilarious.

But the skunks (so many this year). Driving me bonkers - they don't even try to stay away (also I suspect they don't see too well in the dark; don't have to). Starting to lay down some counter measures, cuz they just pop out of places and from around corners/bushes and raise a tail atcha like it's your fault.
Wow, I've never seen an opossum in Toronto before but I have seen a few skunks over the years.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Our cockatiel was put into a starter cage from Walmart. That was $65. Then when we were expecting our first child my wife wanted it gone although she really enjoyed the bird.

I sold it on Kijiji for $65. Lol
It's too bad you couldn't have kept it but I understand why your wife felt that way.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Wow, I've never seen an opossum in Toronto before but I have seen a few skunks over the years.
They are notoriously reclusive, but there is a sizable population. I think this one in particular is a little off; see him (or I suppose, other ones, but usually they are better at not being seen so I assume the same one that just no longer gives a damn) a few times this season in the back alley.

I first learned that we had them here (and the last time, before this year, that I saw one) was when one took shelter under my basement steps during one of those super harsh winters (cold, not snow) we had like 10ish years ago now. Openned the basement door one evening and hiss. Closed it and went out the back instead; opossumcicle in the morning. Regret not feeding it (but that the time I couldn't see what it was, just that there was an animal hissing at me from the dark under the steps and so I retreated); with food to burn it may have survived the night.

·
Registered
349 Posts
One summer there was a lovebird that had obviously escaped hanging around with a flock of sparrows in the 'hood pretty much all summer long. They'd all be on the wires or wherever, a gazzilion brown sparrows and one bright green lovebird. The sparrows would all take off like a shot simultaneously for whatever reason, and the little lovebird was always a second or two behind them. Hilarious.

Didn't see him around the next summer:(

·
Registered
3,533 Posts

Try motion lights and place citrus fruit in hiding spots

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One summer there was a lovebird that had obviously escaped hanging around with a flock of sparrows in the 'hood pretty much all summer long. They'd all be on the wires or wherever, a gazzilion brown sparrows and one bright green lovebird. The sparrows would all take off like a shot simultaneously for whatever reason, and the little lovebird was always a second or two behind them. Hilarious.

Didn't see him around the next summer:(
Well, maybe he flew to a different part of the city or (hopefully) his owners got him back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts