The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
Man I miss being near the beach. I took it for granted as a kid.
Alrighty, rig rundown. 5.2 m? Looks a semi floater (or did you put some lbs on over winter ! ;p)

Sent from my other brain.

·
Premium Member
4,300 Posts
that's awesome man. looks like such fun. my family wasn't into summer sports much when I was younger. the 5 siblings before me all did flat water paddling with two on the national team. my eldest brother won the gold at the canada games for C1 in 1980 I think it was.

I wish we had spent more time on the water with sports like this one. THere doesn't seem to be very many windsurfers going out these days on lake ontario or georgian bay. is the sport shrinking?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is fading. there are some young kids coming in, but not enough. They all go to kiting, because it's 10 times easier to learn, but it's ten times more dangerous too.

Windsurfing was huge in the 80's, like cross country ski in the 70's. Anybody who had a property by the water had one. Then everybody started having kids and the sport got very specialized. Many couldn't follow the trend and left. The culprit is that you are totally dependent on wind and it's a very fickle weather vector to predict. You need to know how strong the wind will be, what the direction is going to be, how long for, before you make a move. You have to be incredibly available. If not, 9 times out of 10, you'll miss the puff and come back home frustrated. Before long, you'll give your gear away.

But ... of ALL the sports I did and/or still do, nothing compares to it. You're IN the moment every second you ride. You literally walk on water. I'm 64 (yeah, like in the tune) and will do it as long as I enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
4,300 Posts
Well all i can say is that if I ever get up to Sutton to ski one of these winter we gotta meet up for a hello. I wanna be able to ride like that one day.

On skies I got to top 50 under 14 in Canada but no summer sports.

I bet you ski too.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I snowboard. I was a late bloomer, too big a family when I was young (8 kids), to be able to afford skis and lift tickets. So at around 40 (early 90's) I tried downhill skiing, but being from a soft boot background (tons of cross country ski) I couldn't make myself like the hard ski boots. And, as fate would have it, a snowboard went pass me, I got curious, took a lesson, bought a snowboard and threw my skis away. I never looked back.

I've been on snowboard patrol for the past 11 years on Suton. So yeah, if you come by, let me know.

·
Premium Member
10,021 Posts
Thats awesome!
I really enjoyed it in the '90's...gave it up though due to the short season, lack of time and suitable conditions locally to keep progressing.
Coincidentally I'm selling my last remaining board....not fishing for buyers here, just seeing if anyone remembers them from back in the day. It was pretty high end for its day.
F2 Sputnik Slalom Windsurfer | water sports | Markham / York Region | Kijiji

1 - 12 of 12 Posts