The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
No. She seems to be resistant to both the caffeine and acid. She always has a coffee on the go.

She was sent to a cardiologist as her physician had concerns about the effects on her heart. The cardiologist said that it was giving her no ill affects whatsoever. She just has a tolerance to it.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
My wife and I have a 40 cup canister with spigot. We fill it every morning, I drink 10 cups a day and she has about 30. She does it just for the caffeine, and we've come back from a weekend away and she'll drain the leftover coffee dregs from the canister and nuke it.

I'm sure these nerdy coffee connoisseurs would have heart failure if they ever tasted the stuff!
I'm kind of in that 'no such thing as bad coffee' camp.
I appreciate great coffee and have spent time slinging espresso and cappuccino long long ago. I love the good stuff but still believe the only bad coffee is no coffee! If there is nothing but that instant coffee vending machine, or the unknown vat in the tire shop, nothing always loses.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I'm kind of in that 'no such thing as bad coffee' camp.
I appreciate great coffee and have spent time slinging espresso and cappuccino long long ago. I love the good stuff but still believe the only bad coffee is no coffee! If there is nothing but that instant coffee vending machine, or the unknown vat in the tire shop, nothing always loses.
Whew, tire shop coffee, not when there's rubber around, never know what's in there. Ever been to Italy? Now that's coffee with blackwalls!

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Speaking of Tim Hortons did you know they changed suppliers for their beans? Now McDonalds Canada uses the old Tim Horton's supplier so if you liked the old Tim Hortons try McDonalds. We drive an hour and a half to visit our granddaughter once or twice a week and often grab a coffee in a drive through in North Van just to get a break from the traffic. Tim Hortons turned to shit a while ago and we started going to McDonalds which actually seemed pretty decent. My wife did some checking and found about about the supplier switch.
I noticed about about twelve or thirteen years ago that Tim Horton's abruptly changed their coffee and not for the better.

While not exceptional, I'll take McDonald's over Tim Horton's any day.

There's a little non-corporate coffee shop in town here, that while is a little pricier, has best coffee hands down I've ever had.

·
Premium Member
12,979 Posts
My first job out of school was working in a music store. The owner told me my most important duty was to make sure there was always coffee, morning and afternoon. Musicians love free coffee. I drank a lot of coffee for those two years. I think it screwed me up a little bit, staying up half the night and hanging out with bands at the A4, and then drinking coffee all day.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
you guys are all nuts. what you should instead do is mix hot chocolate powder with hot milk. then add a few drops of extract, either rasberry, orange, cherry or strawberry. top it off with a mound of whipped cream. serve with peanut butter crackers, while watching korean period dramas. that's my fri and sat morning every week

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
you guys are all nuts. what you should instead do is mix hot chocolate powder with hot milk. then add a few drops of extract, either rasberry, orange, cherry or strawberry. top it off with a mound of whipped cream. serve with peanut butter crackers, while watching korean period dramas. that's my fri and sat morning every week
I prefer almond milk with liquorice extract but otherwise this sounds pretty good.

·
Premium Member
11,551 Posts
I tend to PREFER basic beans, especially if I get to grind them myself. There are a couple of suppliers I like, including one local to me Coastal Coffee Company and one local to one of my kids Fairly-traded, organic and shade-grown coffees and teas from small-scale farmers. In a world where good coffee is readily available, why drink anything else? I can handle store bought Folgers or Nabob because it doesn't particularly offend, but sometimes the additives are detectable.

One must not add sugar to coffee, ever. Milk or cream is acceptable in very small amounts, but never after the first cup. I am the coffee police.

I detest synthetic tasting flavoured coffees like the piss that gets marketed as Christmas or pumpkin or fruity coffee. Again, I am the coffee police.

Coffee should not be served in plastic or paper, besides being wasteful, it ruins the taste. Ceramic or glass please. The coffee police has spoken.

I was subjected to Keurig coffee once. Apparently one of my sisters can't travel without the blasted machine and its wake of litter. I swear I could taste the plastic, but whatever it was, it wasn't real.

Now, I prefer my coffee cold, but it still requires a little time brewing before it cools. There is a window of preference as well, within a few hours of brewing. Certain family members will drink what we call "O. C.", old coffee, but it's an aberration, and there is no cure.

·
Premium Member
12,979 Posts
One must not add sugar to coffee, ever. Milk or cream is acceptable in very small amounts, but never after the first cup. I am the coffee police.
I drink my coffee black at home - because it is good and consistent (so consistently good). But working in a vehicle, driving from site to site, I used a lot of drive-throughs and the coffee was so inconsistent, even the same place on the same day, that I started drinking it with milk and sugar. It sucked to be a block away before I realized the pish I just bought was basically undrinkable. Still take it black at home though. Or occasionally make a 'poor man's mocha', where I mix a bit of hot chocolate power in with the coffee. I know, I'm busted! Hands on the hood, assume the position. LOL

Reactions: Mooh

·
Premium Member
26,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
No. She seems to be resistant to both the caffeine and acid. She always has a coffee on the go.

She was sent to a cardiologist as her physician had concerns about the effects on her heart. The cardiologist said that it was giving her no ill affects whatsoever. She just has a tolerance to it.
And I'll bet that if she has a cup of strong decaf, she falls asleep very quickly.

·
Premium Member
11,551 Posts
I drink my coffee black at home - because it is good and consistent (so consistently good). But working in a vehicle, driving from site to site, I used a lot of drive-throughs and the coffee was so inconsistent, even the same place on the same day, that I started drinking it with milk and sugar. It sucked to be a block away before I realized the pish I just bought was basically undrinkable. Still take it black at home though. Or occasionally make a 'poor man's mocha', where I mix a bit of hot chocolate power in with the coffee. I know, I'm busted! Hands on the hood, assume the position. LOL
I get that.

I'm spoiled by never being further away than the next room from my coffee source.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I was drinking some of the instant coffee at my inlaws and after a few weeks my stomach started bothering me. I stopped drinking that cheap stuff and made my own. Stomach went back to normal. I don't know what was in the coffee but I won't touch instant any more.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Keurig should be illegal and no, I'm not joking. What a fucking environmental disaster for zero reason or purpose.

Yeah I get it, we all do things that are not environmentally friendly. But that doesn't justify creating a new technology that really doesnt improve anything (other than allowing us to be lazy) and totally filling the environment with plastic.

Just so you know I'm not a total Debbie downer, I have been laughing uncontrollably at the dumb and dumber Keurig hack!

·
Premium Member
26,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Keurig should be illegal and no, I'm not joking. What a fucking environmental disaster for zero reason or purpose.

Yeah I get it, we all do things that are not environmentally friendly. But that doesn't justify creating a new technology that really doesnt improve anything (other than allowing us to be lazy) and totally filling the environment with plastic.

Just so you know I'm not a total Debbie downer, I have been laughing uncontrollably at the dumb and dumber Keurig hack!
The use of pods for a simple cuppa is environmentally dumb, I'll grant you. But what about the bags that tea drinkers use. Pop open a bag of Earl Grey, and the tea is in a bag, which is in a sealed paper pouch, with a string and tassel, held on with a staple. Not quite as much garbage as a pod, I'll grant you, but more than putting a spoon of bulk leaves in a tea egg. I brought my lunch to work today. It was a Michelina's microwave meal. It involved far more packaging than pods and teabags put together. I have two cups of coffee in a day, and eat lunch once. The lunch generates far more garbage than the coffee would.

The fact is that it is somewhat hypocritical to paint some packaging as evil and let other packaging off the hook. It is simply better to reduce packaging as much as you can whenever you can, and try to do better next time. For workplaces or waiting rooms in professionals' offices (dentist, doctor, accountant, lawyer, etc.), pods can be a godsend. The receptionist gets to attend to their main tasks, and offload the burden of complementary coffee to the person waiting. It creates a bit of garbage, but realistically only a very tiny percentage of the garbage the pod user is likely to create that day.

The more critical matter is whether the pods yield a decent cup of coffee. For some they do, and for others, not so much. Are there more effective and/or cost-effective ways to get a decent cuppa out there? Yes.
It would be nice if the pods were biodegradable. Then they'd simply be a waste of money, and not an environmental problem. But making a container that allows for brewing beans in 200-degree water for 2:30 AND is biodegradable is a pretty tall order.

·
Registered
15,694 Posts
Other than a staple (Which they don't all have)--most tea bags would be compostable...
Although I also like buying loose tea as well.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
The use of pods for a simple cuppa is environmentally dumb, I'll grant you. But what about the bags that tea drinkers use.

The more critical matter is whether the pods yield a decent cup of coffee. For some they do, and for others, not so much. Are there more effective and/or cost-effective ways to get a decent cuppa out there? Yes.
I don't buy these "yeah, but we also do this" arguments. Trying to diminish something by pointing to something else is a cop out (so what if I rape, other people murder). The general truism that people use resources to exist doesn't lead us to accept an "anything goes cuz who can say" conclusion.

ALL of this crap exists simply because it is allowed to. If the price of disposal and environmental damage was included in the cost of such completely disposable commodities the product would never exist because people couldn't simply mortgage the future for the sake of being lazy.

The critical matter is not about good coffee.

K-Cup coffee pod creator wishes he'd never thought of them

·
Premium Member
26,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
"But he started it!" and "But they're worse!" arguments don't persuade me any more than they persuade you. That's why I say reduce waste as much as you can whenever you can. I think packaging for a single cup of coffee is pretty shameful, and probably right up there with the way Radio Shack used to have bubble-packaging for 10 resistors or two capacitors, just so it could hang from a hook and they wouldn't need to employ anyone to take something out of a parts drawer. Fact is, there is a LOT of unnecessary packaging that we have taken for granted. I don't like the pods, and don't use them, but am not going to dump on them or their users simply because they are a recent arrival and have captured our attention as a result.

Again, reduce waste as much as you can whenever you can. I'm pleased whenever I can put out a meagre half-bag of garbage every two weeks, like I did today.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I don't like the pods, and don't use them, but am not going to dump on them or their users simply because they are a recent arrival and have captured our attention as a result.

Again, reduce waste as much as you can whenever you can. I'm pleased whenever I can put out a meagre half-bag of garbage every two weeks, like I did today.
Well, I didn't just dump on Keurig but I don't think it is hypocritical to point out a new technology that millions of people use several times a day, when there are far better alternatives that are hardly arduous or unreasonable. Would it be ok to suddenly start using disposable plates etc at home because it is convenient and I don't like doing dishes?

I also don't think this is just about individuals trying to make individual choices. It's about understanding the market that structures and delimits that from which we can choose. These pods simply would not be available as a choice if the consumer/company paid the full costs of producing them. Until that reality is changed, not much else will change.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
the best cup of coffee I've ever had was in a restaurant in Santa Fe, Colombia

I drank it black

in fact, it was so good, I stuck my head into the kitchen and demanded to know how they brewed their coffee

it was an old camp-style metal stovetop percolator, like this:

when I got back to Canada, I raided my mother's kitchen & found one. Now I use it all the time

I also like these aluminium italian brew things. they are called espresso brewers but it's not really esperesso. I drink it just like coffee

I also bought a Nespresso Le Cube, at my girlfriends behest. it makes good espresso, but I don't use it as much as the others

I was going to make a stainless steel reusable capsule for it, so I could grind my own beans for it. also less waste

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Would it be ok to suddenly start using disposable plates etc at home because it is convenient and I don't like doing dishes?.
I shit you not, that is exactly why my ex's mother uses paper plates.

I used the Keurig inserts for using your own coffee for the reason that I was sick of seeing a grocery bag a month of little plastic cups going in the garbage. We weren't allowed to put them in the recycle and none of the vendors at the time would take them in for recycle as well.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts