The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose it was just a matter of time. I'm just surprised it showed up in the Washington Post first, rather than MAKE.

The article compares what "coffee experts" report as optimal conditions for making a perfect cup of coffee, and what the Keurig machines they explored provide. They then go on to describe how to hack one's Keurig machine to provide that ideal cup o' joe. You be the judge. I prefer a "pretty good" to a lousy cup of coffee - sometimes stronger, sometimes milder - but profess no great knowledge about the topic or impeccable standards.

How much better can coffee from a Keurig pod machine get?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I am a fan of your average run of the mill cup of coffee. I have have had good and fancy coffees and I still just like a nicely brewed cup from a normal Bunn drip maker that you'd get at your average restaurant.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Who dictates what a perfect coffee is? I hate purists who try to push their taste preferences on other people. They're petty one dimensional snobs who often lead deficient lives and the only way they get any satisfaction is by finding some irrelevant niche where they feel they can prevail.

I bet that when they try to interact with other people, they keep steering the conversation back to coffee all the time.

Ask them if they've ever been on a date, or better still, suggest they get a life..

·
Registered
15,694 Posts
I don't like coffee in any form--but I know people who go crazy over Keurig &/or Tassimo--almost o a crazy level--others just like the convenience.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Almost any method you use can make decent coffe if you have good, fresh beans that are ground for the method. I freely admit I'm a coffee snob. My wife works for a coffee distributor that distributes beans from a few small roasters. She gets the pick of any of them she wants and she personally grinds them for whatever method they are going to be used for. That said, 90% of my coffee comes from a cheap drip machine. With good,fresh beans ground specifically for drip use it is so much better than any kuerig brew I've tasted.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I had a guy who supplied coffee tell me that customers get used to a certain brand of coffee and when that is changed, even going to a better coffee, people like the inferior better because their taste buds are used to the one they have been drinking in the past.

I drink about a pot of coffee a day (for the taste, not the caffeine) and sometimes I will do a mix of two coffees to get the taste I want. Most of my friends have told me how good my coffee (from a drip maker) is.

As for the Keurig, the only advantage is the speed of getting one cup of coffee. Environmentally, it is a terrible design and there will never be one in my house.

·
Premium Member
11,393 Posts
Who dictates what a perfect coffee is? I hate purists who try to push their taste preferences on other people. They're petty one dimensional snobs who often lead deficient lives and the only way they get any satisfaction is by finding some irrelevant niche where they feel they can prevail.

I bet that when they try to interact with other people, they keep steering the conversation back to coffee all the time.

Ask them if they've ever been on a date, or better still, suggest they get a life..
Ya, I dont get it either...
Ive tried some of the "finer" things and just didn't care of them or was underwhelmed...went to a café in Chicago that coffee snobs rave about, Intelligentsia (fuck it sounds pompous in retrospect) meh, would have preferred Second Cup...Didnt care for some really expensive wines I sampled at the Wine and cheese show. Nothing special about the Crown royal Northern Harvest whisky that got fussed about last year-about the same as any firewater. Spent about $1000 on an espresso machine and grinder combo that was supposed to produce "God shots"....2 out of 10 pulls were great, another 3 were passable, the rest could go down the drain. Never had a Keurig cup I liked....all tasted like Tim Hortons more or less to me, which I don't rate highly. I did really enjoy the Starbucks pods in my Tassimo, but sold it at my garage sale last year. Ill take a regular burger over a gamy tasting Angus burger any day. and grilled cheese just tastes plain old better with processed cheese than the 3 yr old Baldersons my wife likes to use. it feels like ive just been reincarnated as Electraglide lol.

i want to enjoy these things if they are truly better, but I'm not sure they are...just different. and I don't get the point of forcing yourself to "acquire" a taste.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Speaking of Tim Hortons did you know they changed suppliers for their beans? Now McDonalds Canada uses the old Tim Horton's supplier so if you liked the old Tim Hortons try McDonalds. We drive an hour and a half to visit our granddaughter once or twice a week and often grab a coffee in a drive through in North Van just to get a break from the traffic. Tim Hortons turned to shit a while ago and we started going to McDonalds which actually seemed pretty decent. My wife did some checking and found about about the supplier switch.

·
Premium Member
26,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya, I dont get it either...
Ive tried some of the "finer" things and just didn't care of them or was underwhelmed...went to a café in Chicago that coffee snobs rave about, Intelligentsia (fuck it sounds pompous in retrospect) meh, would have preferred Second Cup...Didnt care for some really expensive wines I sampled at the Wine and cheese show. Nothing special about the Crown royal Northern Harvest whisky that got fussed about last year-about the same as any firewater. Spent about $1000 on an espresso machine and grinder combo that was supposed to produce "God shots"....2 out of 10 pulls were great, another 3 were passable, the rest could go down the drain. Never had a Keurig cup I liked....all tasted like Tim Hortons more or less to me, which I don't rate highly. I did really enjoy the Starbucks pods in my Tassimo, but sold it at my garage sale last year. Ill take a regular burger over a gamy tasting Angus burger any day. and grilled cheese just tastes plain old better with processed cheese than the 3 yr old Baldersons my wife likes to use. it feels like ive just been reincarnated as Electraglide lol.

i want to enjoy these things if they are truly better, but I'm not sure they are...just different. and I don't get the point of forcing yourself to "acquire" a taste.
People like what they like. T'was ever thus.
My wife makes her Nescafé instant in the microwave and declines to use any of the fresh-ground coffee I make in the coffee press. I'm not a coffee snob, and I don't use fancy schmancy beans (I buy a few bags of whole beans - as below - when Food Basics has them on sale and stick 'em in the freezer) but the coffee-ness of coffee simply ain't there unless one meets certain minimum criteria. And for me, grinding it up fresh and brewing it, is fundamental. The particular strength and flavours one favours is over and above the fundamentals, though I'm not going to reject tips people have for achieving their particular flavour goals more effectively. But once you go beyond the fundamentals and how to maximize the fundamentals, "better" and "best" simply become personal preferences and not absolutes.

There's a Keurig machine at work. I have my little $10 coffee press, and bring another jar of fresh-ground beans every 2 weeks or so. I get to make it to the strength I want, and have worked out measures such that the press provides the appropriate strength to fill up my treasured guitar mug that my wife brought me back from the Experience Music Project in Seattle.

·
Premium Member
11,393 Posts
My wife makes her Nescafé instant in the microwave and declines to use any of the fresh-ground coffee I make in the coffee press. I'm not a coffee snob, and I don't use fancy schmancy beans (I buy a few bags of whole beans - as below - when Food Basics has them on sale and stick 'em in the freezer) but the coffee-ness of coffee simply ain't there unless one meets certain minimum criteria. And for me, grinding it up fresh and brewing it, is fundamental. The particular strength and flavours one favours is over and above the fundamentals, though I'm not going to reject tips people have for achieving their particular flavour goals more effectively. But once you go beyond the fundamentals and how to maximize the fundamentals, "better" and "best" simply become personal preferences and not absolutes.

There's a Keurig machine at work. I have my little $10 coffee press, and bring another jar of fresh-ground beans every 2 weeks or so. I get to make it to the strength I want, and have worked out measures such that the press provides the appropriate strength to fill up my treasured guitar mug that my wife brought me back from the Experience Music Project in Seattle.
Your wife is right...Nescafe doesn't get near the love it should. Its actually pretty decent. Had some this morning in fact.
but my usual go-to is the Starbucks dark roast beans from Costco that I grind up a batch every few days and use in a cheap drip coffee maker. the smell is like a warm hug from mom through your nose.

Reactions: High/Deaf

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
My wife and I have a 40 cup canister with spigot. We fill it every morning, I drink 10 cups a day and she has about 30. She does it just for the caffeine, and we've come back from a weekend away and she'll drain the leftover coffee dregs from the canister and nuke it.

I'm sure these nerdy coffee connoisseurs would have heart failure if they ever tasted the stuff!

·
Premium Member
11,393 Posts
My wife and I have a 40 cup canister with spigot. We fill it every morning, I drink 10 cups a day and she has about 30. She does it just for the caffeine, and we've come back from a weekend away and she'll drain the leftover coffee dregs from the canister and nuke it.

I'm sure these nerdy coffee connoisseurs would have heart failure if they ever tasted the stuff!

·
Registered
10,821 Posts

Eight O'clock is my perennial favourite!

Having said that I get by just fine with the Maxwell House can when it's on sale. I prefer the darkroast and over-measuring gives me as tasty a cup as Timmies or McD's or Starbucks.................. and for $5.99 a can on sale.

My Keurig only come out when the evil MIL is around.

·
Premium Member
26,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Atsa lotta java!

Two cups a day for me. One before I leave for work, to help swallow all the pills, and another at morning coffee break...for pleasure. On weekends, it's usually only one cup a day.

From what I understand, dried coffee dregs can be used instead of sand for spreading on the sidewalk or driveway for traction during the winter months. Although I suppose the usefulness would depend on how fine a grind. I can't imagine that extra fine provides much grip for one's tires.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts

With all that acid in the coffee, does she not end up with heartburn?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts