17,169 Posts
I don't see the problem.

·
Registered
24,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I seen that on the other 'NAMM' thread.
I don't like it.
Let's say it was simply a "chambered" Strat, without any visible F-hole. Would you be willing to entertain that, or do you associate what you like about Strats with a fully solid body exclusively.

For my part, I'm always game for what reduces body weight. And, insomuch as the traditional vibrato system on a Strat can undermine sustain, maybe a little hollowing can help.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I wouldn't mind trying one, I just wish the tone demo was cleaner. I know Eric Johnson is a phenomenal player but between the chorus/flange and multiple delays it's kind of hard to hear what makes a hollow Strat different.

L

·
0 Posts
Let's say it was simply a "chambered" Strat, without any visible F-hole.
That, I don't mind. It just doesn't look right for a Strat. IMO.
I had the opportunity to briefly play an ES LP like what greco posted.
I like those.

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
I wouldn't mind trying one, I just wish the tone demo was cleaner. I know Eric Johnson is a phenomenal player but between the chorus/flange and multiple delays it's kind of hard to hear what makes a hollow Strat different.
I don’t think NAMM is the place to cleanly and accurately demo anything. Wait for a YouTube demo to pop up in a few days.

·
Registered
24,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fair enough. I would agree that we have certain tacit mental "templates" of what a given body style should look like, and what interferes with it. For instance, I would imagine that some find the multi-plate look of something like the Jaguar or older Jazzmasters just "wrong". Were Strats to suddenly have segmented pickguards like the older Burns or Watkins guitars, I imagine Strat traditionalists would balk. That said, some body styles are perhaps a little more amenable to tinkering than others.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I owned a chambered (ash/ash) Suhr Strat for a number of years and it had a lovely "bounce" to the tone, it was nowhere near as strident as every other 54 spec Strat I've played. This being said, it could be a little lacking in the "cajones" dept. at times, not a great rock Strat. Perhaps a RW neck &/or hotter pickups would have helped (I swapped out the stock Suhrs for Custom Shop 54s)?

FWIW I have an ES-Les Paul and bought it to scratch my ES-335 itch vs. wanting a lightweight Les Paul (my Bloomfield is solid but only weights 8.5 lbs.). I've owned the majority of ES-style offerings (i.e. 135/137/335/339, CS-356 & a Heritage H-555) and the body size is just too clunky for me, even the smaller 339 - - the mouse ears seem to impede high fret access a little for me as well.

·
Registered
24,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had to quickly look at the headstock to realize it was a Fender. That is......different. Strat body shape, but semi-hollow. Jazzmaster pickups and vibrato system on a hollow Strat body?

I'm reminded of the concoctions we used to come up with when we were 11 and 12, and just beginning to think about cooking and chemistry. As kid I would come up with cleaning substances like a mixture of toothpaste and dish soap. I remember our younger son decided to "invent" what he called "coff-tea"; a mixture of coffee and tea. Dear lord it was disgusting.

Maybe what that guitar needs to temper it is something other than an all-coral body, like a soft sunburst, and more conventional colour. Or is this what they give Mary-Kay associates when they hit some sales mark, now? I.E., not quite a pink Cadillac, but commendable.

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
I believe the Reverend Pete Anderson is a chambered tele. It sounds awesome!

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
Everyone to his own. The lighter the better. I like it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I think I would like it if the sound hole was a different shape. That traditional f-hole shape does not suit a Strat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts