The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do I remove an attached pedestal sink from the wall? I see these brackets at the back of the sink down below.

Next, how do I rip the toilet off of the floor without causing a major flood?

I know to turn off the water but that’s it.

What tools do I need? What should I take extra care with? Do I need to go out and buy anything?

Hubby has gone to the cottage for a week because of two huge projects going on there and I wanted to surprise him by at least getting one washroom gutted and ready to revamp.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Toilet: turn off the water to it and flush it to empty the tank. There will probably still be a little water so put some garbage bags or something down And have a towel around. You need a wrench that fits the bolts.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Toilet: turn off the water to it and flush it to empty the tank. There will probably still be a little water so put some garbage bags or something down And have a towel around. You need a wrench that fits the bolts.
The bolts on either side if the toilet, right? I have a shit load of wrenches and bring in a whack and see what fits. What about the gasket underneath the toilet? I remember having to take the toilet off of the floor once before and my husband said to be very careful with it.

How do I detach the water tank from the bowl?

Trying to cross all my T’s and dot my i’s so I can do this in the afternoon.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Toilets are heavy. You can remove the tank by taking off the water line, and then underneath the tank you'll find it bolted to the base behind the bowl.

Should you break the toilet or drop the lid be very careful, that fired clay(or whatever it is) will leave shards sharper than a steel knife.

A basin wrench can make removing plumbing fixtures much much easier. Other than that, water pump pliers(slip joint), and an adjustable wrench will get you through it as basics.

Once the toilet is removed remember to stuff some rags in the drainhole to keep sewer gasses from entering your house.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Not trying to discourage you from trying to "surprise" him, removing those items is a fairly quick process for some one who knows how...
If you happen to run into a valve that wont shut off or crack a fitting or pipe while you are doing this you may create a surprise you did not intend....

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,194 Posts
No offense, but if you know that little about renovations I would enlist a helper or hire a contractor. Plumbing is one of those things that can cause a pile of damage to your home if you mess something up.

·
Premium Member
17,628 Posts
If you happen to run into a valve that wont shut off or crack a fitting or pipe while you are doing this you may create a surprise you did not intend....
Repeated for emphasis.

Surprises can cause a lot of damage and/or disruption!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
You can do it, just heed the good advice given. The toilet bowl will retain some water which can slosh out through the bottom if jostled or tipped. Carry it carefully and you will be fine or use a big garbage bag.

I would not try to reuse the wax seal

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Hubby has gone to the cottage for a week because of two huge projects going on there and I wanted to surprise him by at least getting one washroom gutted and ready to revamp.
As guys and husbands I'll bet that more than a few of us are wondering if it will be a pleasant surprise for your husband! Are we abetting you in a "NOW you can start renovating the bathroom like I've asked you for two years"?!! ;)

You've got lots of good advice above, including advice to be cautious. Most important to make sure the water is off at both sink and toilet. You *might* have to turn off water to the whole house if you don't have good valves below the fixtures, and if that's the case then you should probably reconsider starting the demolition.

While most damage you might do is relatively easy to fix a big water leak probably not.

I haven't seen anyone answer your question about the toilet gasket. Maybe advice in @laristotle's video - I haven't watched it - but if not...

There will be a big waxy sticky ring under the toilet. It will probably be stuck more to the toilet than the flange of the sewer pipe, so you'll want to have garbage plastic spread on the floor in advance where you're going to put down the fairly-heavy toilet. It's pretty nasty of course, wear gloves. There will probably be some of the wax that will have to be scraped off the flange on the floor too. Then when you have it cleaned up, be sure to stuff garbage plastic into the sewer hole else sewer gases will make your house at least smell bad and could do worse things.

There's almost no chance of re-using the gasket - not sure why your husband wanted to be cautious about it. They cost about ten bucks, easy to buy at any decent hardware place.

Good luck. I hope your husband appreciates us helping you! :D

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No offense, but if you know that little about renovations I would enlist a helper or hire a contractor. Plumbing is one of those things that can cause a pile of damage to your home if you mess something up.
I have done other renovations around the house by myself. I can do this! It’s not rocket science. I just have to be very careful and conscientious. I want the experience,

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have enlisted my neighbors help if I need it. He’s has done lots of Reno’s like this.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,194 Posts
I have done other renovations around the house by myself. I can do this! It’s not rocket science. I just have to be very careful and conscientious. I want the experience,
Fill your boots... you're not gutting my bathroom so I dont particularly care. There is a reason skilled trades do apprenticeships though. I hope it all works out and some progress pics would be a cool way to keep the thread up to date, weather the results are good or bad.

Reactions: greco

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Hey Lola, toilets are pretty easy to remove. The only real problem you can run into is if your shutoff valve is not working right.
Turn it off, and flush, and listen and see if you can hear any water from the valve. The tank should not fill.
As for the bolts holding down the toilet, you will probably not be able to undo them as they will most likely be all corroded. Or if they turn the whole bolt may turn.
You can use vise grips and sometimes they will just snap as you turn them. This is a good thing!
When I take out a toilet I just use a reciprocal saw and cut them. Don't worry about the gasket or flange as they are cheap and easy to replace. You wouldn't want to re-use them anyways.
Best of luck and don't hurt yourself.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts