The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

381 - 400 of 421 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
Variable speed is added by varying the voltage to the motor however, at 6 volts operation the power is reduced. The unit that I have has a gearbox at the front end...that would be a better solution, maintain the same power, reducing the speed by gear selection, like some of the portable power drills use.

Yup, good approach.

The thing is, I don't think I have anything I can scrounge from laying around.

I may end up needing to buy one but hand held and with variable speed would be nice.

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
1,129 Posts
I have discovered that the closer my hand is to the wheel, the better control that I have with the operation...the question is how close do you go...it's only a rotating buffing pad but it can burn the skin.

·
Premium Member
18,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #384 · (Edited)
Just realized I've run myself out of 500k long shaft pots. I ordered more. That used to be something you could run down to the store and grab. I may check L & M later. Their website says no stock, but I know the guys. If they have a few they'll likely give them to me.

I mounted a few more components in place. Pickups, bridge, strap locks, jack plate.

·
Premium Member
18,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 · (Edited)
Ok, Maybe I should have known this, but when Warmoth finishes a maple neck in their poly, they don't scrape the poly off the frets or at least they didn't do so with this one. It would have saved me some time and a set of strings had I know that.

There's poly all over the frets so I'll basically have to scrape and polish them. Nice neck, but I didn't see that coming.

·
Premium Member
5,196 Posts
Ok, Maybe I should have known this, but when Warmoth finishes a maple neck in their poly, they don't scrape the poly off the frets or at least they didn't do so with this one. It would have saved me some time and a set of strings had I know that.

There's poly all over the frets so I'll basically have to scrape and polish them. Nice neck, but I didn't see that coming.

View attachment 364906

View attachment 364907

View attachment 364909

View attachment 364919

View attachment 364918
Looks beautiful!! And I'm not a strat guy. ;)

·
Premium Member
18,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #387 ·
Looks beautiful!! And I'm not a strat guy. ;)

Thanks man.

I got all the poly off the frets.

You know, I have to confess, this feels like one of those things that the experienced builders will probably laugh at.

I basically ruined a set of strings doing it but I just scraped the poly off with some vigorous vibrato and working the strings back and forth across each fret.

The poly came off in sheets, some frets easier than others.

If I didn't know what was going on, I would think it was two different necks. It was sort of buzzing out, couldn't bend notes....

Now it's like buttah.

I'm a dumb ass, LOL

·
Premium Member
18,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #389 ·
Funny, I didn't realize how addicted I have become to grabbing the wiggle stick. Playing a hardtail is a rare thing for me these days.

·
Premium Member
18,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·
This one will soon be leaving my cave, bound for Saskatchewan. I have to say honestly, this one is probably my favourite as far as playability goes (not to mention the look).

If I was gigging and was told to bring only one guitar, this would likely be the one.

Again, I would so love to find someone who can really play to demonstrate these, but this will have to suffice for now.

I set the mic gain for the amp so the dialogue is a bit low.

·
Premium Member
18,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #392 ·
Sask, are you sending me a belated birthday present?
As much as I would love to, this one is going to a member near Saskatoon.

Funny, I spent a fair bit of time playing clubs in that part of Canada. Now a little piece of me is going back.

Fond memories.

·
Premium Member
3,335 Posts
This one will soon be leaving my cave, bound for Saskatchewan. I have to say honestly, this one is probably my favourite as far as playability goes (not to mention the look).

If I was gigging and was told to bring only one guitar, this would likely be the one.

Again, I would so love to find someone who can really play to demonstrate these, but this will have to suffice for now.

I set the mic gain for the amp so the dialogue is a bit low.

Looks and sounds great but I can't here your vocal mic. Guitar coming through good though.

·
Premium Member
18,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·
Looks and sounds great but I can't here your vocal mic. Guitar coming through good though.
Thank you,

Yeah the mic was pointed at the amp to avoid that shitty sound you get when you point it at the guitar and I set the gain for that level. You can hear the dialogue but you have to crank it up for that.
I’ll work on it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I assume it plays as badass as it looks? I've always had a soft spot for hardtail strats. There is enough drama in the clapton/craptone thread, so I'll claim it's a Robert Cray thing.

Killswitch

It fought with me a bit. I thought it was just wired as an interrupt, but you have to leave the main hot and ground connected and just add this.

Works cool.

View attachment 367727

View attachment 367728
Killswitch

It fought with me a bit. I thought it was just wired as an interrupt, but you have to leave the main hot and ground connected and just add this.

Works cool.

View attachment 367727

View attachment 367728

·
Premium Member
18,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #399 · (Edited)
I assume it plays as badass as it looks? I've always had a soft spot for hardtail strats. There is enough drama in the clapton/craptone thread, so I'll claim it's a Robert Cray thing.
Well it plays wicked good and every position on the switch sounds great to me.

But, to me it really feels very little like a Strat.
It feels much more solid than any Strat I can recall playing.
That may be mostly due to the fact that 99% of the Strats I’v played have had trems.
And, tuning wise, it’s really solid. You can bend the shit out of notes and it’s still bang on. The Hipshot bridge is stable.

Clean tones are beautiful, but this is a rock machine.

381 - 400 of 421 Posts