The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

361 - 380 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
1,050 Posts
This part caught my eye immediately: a wrecked ship at the bottom of the sea. I see the ship bow and starboard-side...all metal ship...holes-thru-body forms the tip of the bow, for securing at dock...beautiful seaweed.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #363 ·
I should have the body ready in a few days. Still need some wet sanding and another coat or two. Other than that, all I'm missing are the tuners and killswitch which should arrive from my friends at Next Gen tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #365 · (Edited)
So, now that I put the Vega-Trem on there, the guitar is super lively, all notes ring clear and bell-like.

It's only now that I can really notice how spectacular these Fishman Fluence pickups truly are. Not a buzz or hum to be heard, and just a lot of classic Strat tones. This is far and away the most Stratty Strat I have ever played, although the neck is more like a shredder.

Anyway, I'm really digging it. It makes me feel like playing like Jeff Beck, that is to say really digging in and man-handling the strings if that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #366 ·
Tough crowd.

I love it!
It looks great

I want to paint all my pedals in a similar fashion.... especially the wah.

I always thought it a shame that all wah pedals were not psychedelic

Nathan
Next time you ship me a body, send an enclosure or two. Amanda can do them for you. They look cool.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #367 ·
Now this, is friggin lucky.

I wanted to try out a momentary Kill switch on a guitar or two. I like the Buckethead effect and it's not rocket science.

You can buy illuminated ones but putting a battery in a guitar for a pick up / preamp is one thing. Just to light up a switch? Not me thanks.

So Next Gen has these nifty little switches but they're a bit small. I'll need to size the potentiometer hole where I intend to place it. That's no problem.

But I was also worried that the button itself was too small for the player to actuate it easily.

I was about to break one of the switches (I bought a few) and see if I could glue some sort of a larger button on it.

And then I noticed this....

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
A simple drill attachment works well

Reactions: Milkman

·
Premium Member
5,191 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you googled it you would find plans to make a buffer. I know the guy from Highline guitars has a set of plans for sale. I use my car polisher, I just make sure I don't mix up my pads.

Reactions: Milkman

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #371 ·
I’d like to have a pedestal grinder with a couple of big buffing wheels.

I bought an orbital buffer / polisher, but I hated the way it felt in my hands. I’m sure there are better ones out there.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
Just discovered this thread. I’m blown away! I love em all!!
Me too and thanks, but then again, I'm starting to realize, I'm as crazy as hell.

It came to me last night....

I looked up at my dear wife and said, do you realize how nucking futz I am?

These guitars (and weed) are my only therapy.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #375 ·
I just put in some shielding and also popped in the Schaller "mega-switch", which is just a standard five way, but built like a brick shithouse.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #377 · (Edited)
Do you also put shielding on the pickguard and the cover?
There's no pickguard on this one. I have read that the idea is to fully enclose (as much as possible) the portion you wish to shield, so that's probably a good plan.

I'll shield the cover as well.

So far, the guitars have all been dead quiet, but then again, it's not like I'm out there gigging.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I bought an orbital buffer / polisher, but I hated the way it felt in my hands. I’m sure there are better ones out there.
Make your own to suit your desires. I made one by recycling the power unit from a Hitachi portable power tool. It has a 100W, 12VDC motor with a nice feel to it. Here's a photo:

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #379 ·
Make your own to suit your desires. I made one by recycling the power unit from a Hitachi portable power tool. It has a 100W, 12VDC motor with a nice feel to it. Here's a photo:
View attachment 364085
View attachment 364084
That's just the sort of craftiness I need.

I guess variable speed would be a real asset.

The pedestal style I've seen are basically just grinders with special attachments on either end.

Being able to adjust the speed would be handy.

Your approach makes more sense considering I don't actually have a shop.

Frankly, I need one.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Variable speed is added by varying the voltage to the motor however, at 6 volts operation the power is reduced. The unit that I have has a gearbox at the front end...that would be a better solution, maintain the same power, reducing the speed by gear selection, like some of the portable power drills use.

361 - 380 of 394 Posts