The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

321 - 340 of 394 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
Funny thing is, even though it was a rookie mistake and impatience just cost me almost $300 (I am by NO means a wealthy guy), I'm not as perturbed about it as I might have been a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Dude this was like a freaking Greek Tragedy.

There was super glue from one side to the other. I may have had to use a grinder to fully remove it, but as I said, the experienced and dedicated pros among us will probably roll their eyes and chuckle.

The ebony pretty much exploded.

Nut-Owned
View attachment 359339
That could be fixed without too much effort and if done right shouldn't be easily detectable, just saying it's bad but not a loss.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
That could be fixed without too much effort and if done right shouldn't be easily detectable, just saying it's bad but not a loss.

Well I hope you're right. I think I can salvage it, but it will have to be for a personal guitar. No way would I sell it.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 · (Edited)
I always take my guitars to my set up guy for final mods and to dial in the set up, dress fret edges (I hate fret sprout) and other final adjustments.

It's like magic. I get them close. They play in tune, stay in tune and sound great, but what he does seems like magic.

When he tells me a particular guitar turned out really well, I get excited.

I'll be picking up the Bennington (see picture) this evening. I'll try to make a little clip.

Edit:

Credit where due:

My go to guy for set ups and any mods I don't feel comfortable doing is Steve Blundon. He runs Guitar Niche
The Best Reviews, Tutorials and Products for Players

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
There was super glue from one side to the other.
Did you superglue the nut or did it come like that? If it came like that you could probably get a replacement. The nut has to be a serviceable part.

That's nothing though, someone dropped off an acoustic yesterday that has a superglued saddle......and has an under saddle pickup. Now that is going to be a major pain in the ass.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 · (Edited)
Did you superglue the nut or did it come like that? If it came like that you could probably get a replacement. The nut has to be a serviceable part.

That's nothing though, someone dropped off an acoustic yesterday that has a superglued saddle......and has an under saddle pickup. Now that is going to be a major pain in the ass.

No, I would never superglue a nut in (maybe one tiny drop).

It came that way, but I suspect someone more patient or knowledgable (like yourself) would have detected that and found a less forceful way to somehow remove that nut.

I feel like it's at least partly my own stupidity and I believe in accountability so...

Maybe I can salvage it for a mule or a personal guitar.

I've ordered necks without nuts now. I like putting Tusq nuts on guitars with trems.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
No, I would never superglue a nut in (maybe one tiny drop).

It came that way, but I suspect someone more patient or knowledgable (like yourself) would have detected that and found a less forceful way to somehow remove that nut.

I feel like it's at least partly my own stupidity and I believe in accountability so...

Maybe I can salvage it for a mule or a personal guitar.

I've ordered necks without nuts now. I like putting Tusq nuts on guitars with trems.
I've encountered superglued parts many times. Soldering iron can work but not usually on a nut. I had a nice SG custom in at one time that had ALL its moveable parts glued. I had to change the nut which was too low. I had to dremel down the centre of the nut and the chisel out the remaining. From there I discovered the bridge and pickup screws all glued. Fu#kin crazy.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
I've encountered superglued parts many times. Soldering iron can work but not usually on a nut. I had a nice SG custom in at one time that had ALL its moveable parts glued. I had to change the nut which was too low. I had to dremel down the centre of the nut and the chisel out the remaining. From there I discovered the bridge and pickup screws all glued. Fu#kin crazy.

I appreciate your response. In examining the neck after the damage, my impression is that a rotary tool may have been needed or even a router. I feel like I would have had to grind it out somehow. It was really glued in there.

Anyway, drama over.

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
1,050 Posts
When I used to build balsa wood models, I used a drop of acetone, sparingly. Balsa is a much softer wood so, it may re-act differently. They do sell ca-glue de-bonders on the model-shop sites and there are many discussions on the RC model forums, concerning this issue.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
When I used to build balsa wood models, I used a drop of acetone, sparingly. Balsa is a much softer wood so, it may re-act differently. They do sell ca-glue de-bonders on the model-shop sites and there are many discussions on the RC model forums, concerning this issue.
Yes, I'm familiar with cyano acrylate ester and the debonding compounds (acetone based). I work for a company that uses such chemicals in our manufacturing processes. In fact, I've had to even provide first aid to some operators who mistakenly glued themselves to their work or work stations, garments et cetera.

That works ok if you get to it before it really sets up. but once it's dry and especially after weeks or months.....it's almost crystaline.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
You haven’t lived until you’ve cut a factory glued corian nut out of a Gibson... if you need a small piece of black ebony I can mail you one, I have lots of offcuts lying around.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·
You haven’t lived until you’ve cut a factory glued corian nut out of a Gibson... if you need a small piece of black ebony I can mail you one, I have lots of offcuts lying around.
I'm considering an LSR roller nut if I can salvage a nice stable shelf somehow but it will have to be a keeper.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·
Today's project. I just need three little spade terminals for the quick connect (lithium ion battery pack).

And of course the required tweaking.

Neck feels great.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
The chicken head knobs are a bit goofy, but I suppose the whole project could be called goofy. Other than the L-ion battery pack, this is what I did. Acoustically it rings nice, intonated well, stays in tune no problem. I'll need to make three connections before I can test.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
With CH knobs on the amp, it will look cool...not everybody's cup of tea. Nice craftmanship, a work of art too.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #337 · (Edited)
With CH knobs on the amp, it will look cool...not everybody's cup of tea. Nice craftmanship, a work of art too.
Thank you
And, correctamundo!
Not everyone's cup of tea for sure, and I respect that.

Some will see these as abominations, clown vomit, whatever. Not to make an unreasonable comparison, but people said much the same about Jackson Pollock. Some people say Monet should have been wearing glasses....

Others will see a fascinating and functional combination of art, technology and hopefully an interesting combination of components.

I share other guitar lovers appreciation of fine woods and finishes.

There are lots of different people and tastes in this world.

All I know is that, perhaps blinded to an extent by the fact that it's my daughter who creates the art, I can't wait to see the next one and even though there's pretty much zero financial return for me in the short term I'm obsessed with putting these together.

And, I assure you, these are very functional instruments. Also, I get to experiment with new(ish) technology. This one for instance has Fishman Fluence pups.

The next one will feature the Vega-Trem.

I used a Babicz trem on another.

I always try to add some sort of technical "candy" for the player.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Fishman FLuence pups
Yeah those are very interesting pups, especially the technology that's involved. I viewed a number of videos by Greg Koch...he does build things up a bit but it's interesting to hear his opinion...very animated person and I like his style.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #339 ·
Yeah those are very interesting pups, especially the technology that's involved. I viewed a number of videos by Greg Koch...he does build things up a bit but it's interesting to hear his opinion...very animated person and I like his style.
Well, I've long been a fan of EMGs and basically find 90% of the anti-active rhetoric to be false and baseless in my experience.

They're warm and slightly compressed and are simply not the one trick pony they're often made out to be.

I'm hoping these Fishmans will be super quiet and super "Stratty". It has that HF Tilt mini-toggle option and the push/pull Voice 2 pot.

Fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 · (Edited)
I'm working on improving the audio for my Youtube clips (yeah, I know, I know, learn to play....).

One thing I find annoying is that when you point the camera at yourself, you also pick up a lot of sound coming right from the guitar (not the amp) which sounds pretty crappy, sort of interferes with the sound you really want to capture.

So I have this cool little Shure MV88 mic I bought (might as well say he gave it to me) from Chuck.

It's a much better mic than the one built in to the iPhone of course, but more importantly you can point it the opposite way, so the camera can be pointed at you while the mic is pointed back at the amp.

Still working on it, but I think it's getting better.

This is the mic (that's again @chuck!!)

321 - 340 of 394 Posts