The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

301 - 320 of 421 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
I picked up this very cool wire harness from Knight_YYZ yesterday evening. As always, super clean work and top quality components.

I can do this stuff, but he can do it better. Fact.

This one is master V, master T, five way pick up switch with automatic coil tap on the humbucker in position 4. The third hole will be concealed or I'll just mount a non-functional dummy pot (talent boost).

For me that's the smartest, most simple way to achieve the most common tones I would use on a guitar like this. I would never for example, use the humbucker along with the middle single coil. To me that's mud. Some players might not agree and for them maybe a push / pull or mini-toggle is the answer.

·
Premium Member
18,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 · (Edited)
How do you like the pickups? It sounds like rocak and/or roll to me.
It's too early to tell. The singles are fairly hot which is fine. It's easy enough to clean them up with a little volume knob tweaking. The humbucker has a good bite and snarl so far, but I'll reserve judgement for a few days.

One thing I will say is, even if these do sound great (so far they do) I wouldn't rush to buy more of them because dimensionally they're bigger than most standard pickups and that means getting them to fit a conventional pickguard or pickup surrounds is a real challenge.

It's a real pain in the ass.

·
Premium Member
18,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
This one is getting all black hardware (Fender six point vintage trem, black tusc nut and string retainers, Wilkinson locking tuners).

And it will receive the Fishman Fluence Strat system I purchased from a Member here.

·
Premium Member
18,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 · (Edited)
F$%k

F$%k

F$%k

I guess since I post so much I may as well post the shit too.

In trying to dislodge the nut on the Mighty Mite neck (not the first one I've done) so as to replace it with a Graphtech Tusc nut, I busted the nut slot out. I may take a look and see if I can save it with an LSR roller nut but no way can it be used on a guitar for someone else.

F$%k

That fu$%er was crazy glued in there for all eternity and the wood being a bit dry didn't help.

Oh well. My fault, learning experience and all that.

Ordered two more necks.

·
Premium Member
13,312 Posts
Ouch! That sucks.

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Ugh... I guess I should try replacing the nut in this neck that I got. Hopefully I don't encounter the same issue.

·
Premium Member
18,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
It was my fault. Impatience is a character flaw that I have always struggled with.

I'll learn from it and be more careful next time, but jeez, people change nuts. A little drop of glue or even some lacquer is enough. You don't need to secure it for all eternity.

·
Premium Member
13,312 Posts
When I change nuts, I let string pressure hold them in place. Never glued.

·
Premium Member
18,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #317 ·
When I change nuts, I let string pressure hold them in place. Never glued.
I usually use a single drop of glue. There are ways to remove stubborn nuts and I know there are some here with lots of experience in doing that.

It's honestly the first neck I've damaged in all the years I've been tinkering. Generally it's simple to change them. I'd say it takes some skill and knowledge to form and finish the new nut, but taking the old one out shouldn't be that tough.

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
I usually use a single drop of glue. There are ways to remove stubborn nuts and I know there are some here with lots of experience in doing that.

It's honestly the first neck I've damaged in all the years I've been tinkering. Generally it's simple to change them. I'd say it takes some skill and knowledge to form and finish the new nut, but taking the old one out shouldn't be that tough.
I've learned my lesson. Good thing it was this $50 guitar that I was trying to make into something 'playable' and the darn nut was glued in. When I took it out it took some of the wood from the headstock. :( So I'm more careful now.

·
Premium Member
18,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 ·
I've learned my lesson. Good thing it was this $50 guitar that I was trying to make into something 'playable' and the darn nut was glued in. When I took it out it took some of the wood from the headstock. :( So I'm more careful now.
Dude this was like a freaking Greek Tragedy.

There was super glue from one side to the other. I may have had to use a grinder to fully remove it, but as I said, the experienced and dedicated pros among us will probably roll their eyes and chuckle.

The ebony pretty much exploded.

Nut-Owned

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Dude this was like a freaking Greek Tragedy.

There was super glue from one side to the other. I may have had to use a grinder to fully remove it, but as I said, the experienced and dedicated pros among us will probably roll their eyes and chuckle.

The ebony pretty much exploded.

Nut-Owned
View attachment 359339
Oh shit...

301 - 320 of 421 Posts