The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 390 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter Amanda Lynn has demonstrated an inclination towards art and in recent months has been pretty much driven to produce an interesting form of painting.

It’s acrylic on canvas, but pretty psychedelic and to my eye, quite beautiful.

It occurred to me that it might work well on a guitar so.......

This started as a Squier C.V. Strat body purchased from Hammertone

14CB9E06-EA50-4EB5-BA16-7E56504BD855.jpeg
F815283B-4C7B-47BC-8300-B8CE170A1902.jpeg
C3A6BBE2-BF57-4409-801C-74833456E252.jpeg
B8ED0FE7-DB76-4257-935D-37DD1162E5EA.jpeg

·
Premium Member
17,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did learn something about how they apply poly finishes. I would have thought the body was stained with the burst and then a clear coat applied over that.

That doesn't appear to be the case. The dark part of the sunburst (dark brown?) was in the clear coat (not really stained into the wood at all).

It came off with the clear coat. I figured I would end up (and be happy) with the stain remaining and just eliminating the clear coat, but it went from sunburst to bare wood in one strip, then some sanding, filling and it was ready to prime.

Are Fenders finished like this? This one's a Squier and it's nice wood. Looks like three piece alder.

·
Premium Member
17,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Im into it. What's the technique?
Well, she selects the colours and the other chemical agents and pre-pours them into individual batches. Then she flips the batches onto the media and manipulates the paints as they flow.

That's a bit of an oversimplification, but pretty close to what she does.

It does remind me of some of the dip swirl paint jobs (also very cool) which you can see on YouTube.

She may be able to provide more details, but she's developed the method over the past few months so she's getting better with practice.

·
Premium Member
25,900 Posts
As "art", it's pleasing to the eye. As a guitar, no sale. I like my guitars to be as visually simple as possible.
Of course, if one has a soft spot for light shows from the Fillmore, circa 1968, it's spot on. :)

·
Premium Member
18,401 Posts
I honestly believe that this approach to finishing is very artistic. In addition, the aspect of the total uniqueness of each finished guitar body is such an impressive aspect. My congratulations to the artist!

The old guy removing the original finish is doing a good job also.

·
Premium Member
17,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As "art", it's pleasing to the eye. As a guitar, no sale. I like my guitars to be as visually simple as possible.
Of course, if one has a soft spot for light shows from the Fillmore, circa 1968, it's spot on. :)
I get that. Some prefer plain tops to flames.

It's the sort of thing I would want ONE of in my collection, but I sure do appreciate that "one".

·
Premium Member
17,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I honestly believe that this approach to finishing is very artistic. In addition, the aspect of the total uniqueness of each finished guitar body is such an impressive aspect. My congratulations to the artist!

The old guy removing the original finish is doing a good job also.
Thanks Dave,

If you could see how prolific she has been with the canvas paintings....There must be fifty or sixty of them in the house now. That's what I meant by "driven".

She's very talented and I'm pretty proud of her.

I have a very good guy at an auto body shop waiting to do the clear coat(s) for me.

Even the test bed (mule) she painted is too cool to toss or disfigure. I'll hang that one on the wall.

·
Premium Member
17,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like the first one she did a little better, but they are both very well done. She has a gift.
Thanks,

Although it does take talent, there are random elements that make each piece unique. You can use exactly the same paint and chemicals and each one will be decidedly different..

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
She'll see that post so thank you. She's 30 though (yeah I know, I'm old).
Sorry, I didn't mean to disrespect the young woman. ;-)

There was a ton of cool stuff in her design. That one shot of the blue area on the horn would be a great pattern for a whole guitar imo.

1 - 20 of 390 Posts