The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So have you ever had a time you wanted a guitar but the fella that wanted to sell was asking too much for. Well mines this lado . It started at $600 now tonight i decided to drop by and he talks about the lado saying $1200 at least . Like what is this man on. I think im going to a new place for used guitars.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
18,816 Posts
Maybe he grossly underpriced himself, actually did research and corrected it.

But yeah, I definitely see people listing guitars for more than their usual market value. Maybe it's to "haggle" to market value so the buyer feels like they got a deal, maybe they really think someone's gonna buy it for that (sometimes they do), or maybe they didn't actually want to sell.

In any of those cases, I'm probably not the buyer.

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
Mid to late 80's Squier strats. Yes there are some good ones. I've had three of them, two were really good. But people are asking $1,000 or more. They are at best a $300 guitar. Even a really, really good JV strat is not worth more than a $1,000 as a guitar to actually play. You can pick up a really nice used American Strat for that which is a better guitar for daily use.

·
Premium Member
19,582 Posts
That’s a really pretty Lado.

I had a Lado Super Falcon back in the 80s.

I was a fool to trade it off. It’s currently in the hands of a great player from my area who continues to gig it. I’m sure it has been refretted maybe more than once.

It was and is an exellent guitar.

I can’t offer any advice on the value of the semi in the original post but where did the $600 figure come from? Was this just a conversation tossing numbers around?

He probably researched and realized he was ripping himself off.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I haven't had that scenario happen yet.. but I do see ridiculous prices all the time.. Usually on lower end guitars. Epiphone SG Specials and Squier Bullet Strats seem to often have an asking price of 30-50% more than they cost new.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Eventually, i think that with the lack of traditional woods that can legally be used these days, or available, USED guitar prices are going to rise dramatically, especially with a Rosewood fretboard. If you see something you like,..... in your best interest..... you might not be able to let it $LIP away.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
It’s really offputting when a seller suddenly jacks the price during negotiations. If it was me, I’d walk away on principal unless I simply must have it, or the deal is still substantially good... I can’t help in your price evaluation though.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Some people are just stubborn and they would rather hang onto a guitar out of spite than sell it for what the market will bear.
Those kind of people you do not want to do business with.
They're unreasonable.
Walk away.
There are other guitars.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
So have you ever had a time you wanted a guitar but the fella that wanted to sell was asking too much for. Well mines this lado . It started at $600 now tonight i decided to drop by and he talks about the lado saying $1200 at least . Like what is this man on. I think im going to a new place for used guitars.

I have been in that situation quite a few times. Most of the time I don't pay strict attention to market value, but I get a range of what they are going for. Then I make a determination of how high I am willing to go and I stick to it. But there are other times I want the guitar regardless of price and will just get the best deal the guy(or gal) will give me.

For me, it is all about how badly I want it. Some guitars are just outstanding guitars and if they call my name I buy them and sometimes I will pay 'too much'. Other times if they are great guitars, but don't look like contenders for a top spot in the stable I will only buy them if the price is right because I may not end up keeping it.

However I have never been in negotiation with someone and had them double the ask. I generally won't deal with people like that.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i feel like you have been talking about buying this for the last year or more.
If you want the guitar, make him an actual offer and have the cash with you.
Yeah but its the first time if been there in like two or three years. And im not sure if i want to go back. The alcohol problem it too much

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
There’s was a hofner strat ish thing for sale on kijiji locally.
For trade.
So I asked the guy what he thought the trade value was.
His answer?
“ Ihad it appraised at $3000 - $5000”

Lmao
Good luck with that

Nathan

·
Premium Member
2,980 Posts
Some people are just stubborn and they would rather hang onto a guitar out of spite than sell it for what the market will bear.
Those kind of people you do not want to do business with.
They're unreasonable.
Walk away.
There are other guitars.
I usually have a floor price on something I’m selling and will pass on a sale if it doesn’t sell at that price or more. I’m not usually desperate for money when I sell. It’s not spite, just a balance between how I value the guitar and how I value the money I’d get.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.