The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Went to visit my dear friend and mentor Warren today and we gathered a few of our choice axes for a cool shot. I posted a quick clip of the '63 Strat on my FB today; that one has a very cool history and I'm actually the one who found him the guitar. I'll have to go back and shoot some video of them all. We were running them into a vintage Fender Twin Reverb, or Marshall half stacks ('80s JCM800 2204 w/Rick Onslow mod, '00s British made Marshall TSL).

Back row: '77 Gibson RD Custom '13 Gibson SG Standard, '63 Fender Stratocaster (custom colour Dakota Red) '14 Gibson Rusty Anderson 335, '17 Danocaster Custom single cut "Goldie"

Front row: '05 Gibson Les Paul Special DC Faded w/P90s, '16 Danocaster Custom double cut "Blackie," '10 Gibson Custom Historic '57 reissue.

W.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Cool--there are a couple that aren't really my thing--but I'd take any one of them.
If you're feeling generous.

Sounds like you are both enjoying the guitars.

Reactions: King Loudness

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That Gold top. drooooooooooooool.
That’s my “keeper” LP. It’s a 2010 R7 that was originally sold through Mark’s Guitar Loft in the States. A few forum members in this area have owned it but I’m the guy who bought it and couldn’t let it go. It’s been gigged a lot and modified somewhat to help improve a great guitar even more. It’s fairly light at around 8lbs unchambered, and has more of a V2 60s neck, round and comfortable, but not a fat baseball bat that most stock ‘57 RIs would. Killer guitar!

W.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I have the same special. Mine is an ‘04 and I love it. I have more expensive guitars ( similar to your collection), but it gets a regular workout. Nice photo.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the same special. Mine is an ‘04 and I love it. I have more expensive guitars ( similar to your collection), but it gets a regular workout. Nice photo.
The DC Special is a great guitar. It belongs to my mentor Warren (as do the '63 Strat, '77 RD, and '13 SG in this photo) and was given to him by Myles Goodwyn. Warren actually is the guitarist in Myles' MGB and blues projects, and they are quite close. Warren has the LP Special set up to play effortlessly. I've actually had a couple of similar ones (cherry and TV Yellow) over the years as well

W.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I also have a ‘12 GT traditional that is , spec-wise, similar to your ‘57. Mine is definitely heavier at 10+ lbs., but otherwise in the same ballpark according to my research. It has a bone but, ‘50’s wiring and sandford magnetic pups. It gets a bit more stage time than my other Les Paul’s, just because.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also have a ‘12 GT traditional that is , spec-wise, similar to your ‘57. Mine is definitely heavier at 10+ lbs., but otherwise in the same ballpark according to my research. It has a bone but, ‘50’s wiring and sandford magnetic pups. It gets a bit more stage time than my other Les Paul’s, just because.
Very cool. I have Sanford Model 24s in this guitar, they're an excellent "Tele on steroids" sounding set of humbucking pickups. I keep meaning to put better pots and caps in it as it's got a random assortment of some stock parts and a couple things I had to change over the years to keep the guitar going. I have other Les Pauls but this one is the one that has lasted through and through.

W.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Cool shot. Like a bunch of old guitars hanging out, with one weirdo in the upper left corner. :D

Reminds me of a pic of a bunch of hockey players, with one soccer player photo-bombing the shot.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool shot. Like a bunch of old guitars hanging out, with one weirdo in the upper left corner. :D

Reminds me of a pic of a bunch of hockey players, with one soccer player photo-bombing the shot.
The RD is a cool guitar. We didn't get a chance to fire that one up but I'm sure next time I'll explore what it has to offer. Next time I go over there we are going to pick a couple of choice guitars each and set up in front of his green screen for a good old fashioned jam.

W.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
The RD is a cool guitar. We didn't get a chance to fire that one up but I'm sure next time I'll explore what it has to offer. Next time I go over there we are going to pick a couple of choice guitars each and set up in front of his green screen for a good old fashioned jam.

W.
A green screen so that you can set the background as outer space, and have a sun explode when you bust into a dual solo?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
That’s my “keeper” LP. It’s a 2010 R7 that was originally sold through Mark’s Guitar Loft in the States. A few forum members in this area have owned it but I’m the guy who bought it and couldn’t let it go. It’s been gigged a lot and modified somewhat to help improve a great guitar even more. It’s fairly light at around 8lbs unchambered, and has more of a V2 60s neck, round and comfortable, but not a fat baseball bat that most stock ‘57 RIs would. Killer guitar!

W.
You know that’s some good resonant hog when you’re 8ish unchambered!!! Did you shave the neck down or did it come from the factory that way? I’ve let a couple GTs go b/c I no longer enjoyed the John Holmes neck profile.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know that’s some good resonant hog when you’re 8ish unchambered!!! Did you shave the neck down or did it come from the factory that way? I’ve let a couple GTs go b/c I no longer enjoyed the John Holmes neck profile.
It came from the factory that way. The original owner bought it from Mark's Guitar Loft and it was some sort of a special run. The top also shows figuring under the gold and I have a theory that it may have been slated to be an R9 at one point, but maybe there's something in the top that caused them to finish it gold and call it an R7. The profile is way closer to an R9 or a larger R0 profile than any R7 I've tried.

W.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts