1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks
I would like to know which camp you belong in.:

The Guitar Camp says:
I have tweaked my guitar to give me the tone that I love.
Changed the pickups.... pots and caps to my choosing...strings to my specific taste. etc. etc.
I can plug this guitar into almost any amp ( within reason) and I can get the tone that I expect.

The Amplifier Camp says:
Finally got my amp. I replaced all the tubes to suit my tone.
I first replaced the speaker so that it sounds the way I want it.
I can plug almost any guitar ( within reason) into this amp and I will get the tone that I expect.

So...are you in the Guitar OR Amplifier camp ( both is not a very good answer ...lol) ?
looking forward to your opinions.
G.

·
Premium Member
18,814 Posts
I like to experiment with string brands, gauges and types (e.g. flat wound) and wound 3rd
I have also experimented with pickups, pot values and caps.

....( both is not a very good answer ...lol)
Unfortunately, I will mess up this by saying that I have enjoyed trying MANY various speakers.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
I am not a one dimensional person when it comes to guitars, so why would you ask everyone to choose a limitation of one way?

That throws the concept of many guitars, amps, pedals, rooms, etc. out, and makes your way right?

·
Premium Member
18,596 Posts
My live rig consists of 4 bone stock components and a string gauge thats different from factory.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Amps.

Lots of guitars sound great through the amps I bought.

Guitars need to play well first, then you can change the pickups.

I have one guitar that sounds bad through good amps.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My first reaction would be to say that both are important. But, a high quality amp will reveal a bad-sounding/setup guitar. A good guitar is half about the way it plays, and the other half the way it sounds.

·
Registered
74 Posts
They are both two parts of the whole. One cannot sound good without the other. But I have friends who are way more accomplished at playing guitar than I am and even if I play a song through my rig, and pass them the guitar right after it sounds so different than when I play.

True tone is in the hands I think.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Ok folks
I would like to know which camp you belong in.:

The Guitar Camp says:
I have tweaked my guitar to give me the tone that I love.
Changed the pickups.... pots and caps to my choosing...strings to my specific taste. etc. etc.
I can plug this guitar into almost any amp ( within reason) and I can get the tone that I expect.

The Amplifier Camp says:
Finally got my amp. I replaced all the tubes to suit my tone.
I first replaced the speaker so that it sounds the way I want it.
I can plug almost any guitar ( within reason) into this amp and I will get the tone that I expect.

So...are you in the Guitar OR Amplifier camp ( both is not a very good answer ...lol) ?
looking forward to your opinions.
G.
Why would you only do one side of the equation?? Mod both and you have your sound!! So yes Both is a good answer ;)

·
Premium Member
13,360 Posts
The guitar has to be well set up and fit my bitchy little fret hand very, very well and be comfortable to hold and play overall. Doesn't matter if the amp is sent from above, if the guitar doesn't meet the requirements I have stated, ... forget it.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I am in neither camp. I am in the multi fx camp. I don't need to change pickups, pots, caps, etc.unless it was for quality purposes. I pick my guitars for their playability and get the tone I want from my multi fx unit.

Reactions: Lola and Robert1950

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,444 Posts
Different amps sound different with different guitars. I like both.
That was gonna be my answer.

I have have a bunch of amps and guitars. They all have individual characteristics and respond differently in various combinations.

I like all of them. It’s nice to have options but if I had to go back to one guitar and one amp well I could make that work too.

·
Premium Member
26,663 Posts
Just like some people do, some guitars, and some amps, and some pedals, have "strong personalities" that demand the spotlight and bring everything and everyone around them to comply with it. For instance, a big-box jazz guitar is going to sound like itself, virtually independent of the amp used, as long as the amp is run clean. In some instances, the guitar will take on the personality of the amp (and many "superstrats" fit that category). And in yet other instances, the guitar has to be married to the right amp. Telecasters being paired up with something that aims for Fender chimey-ness is a good example of that. The guitar itself has a relatively strong personality, but requires a certain context to really bring it out.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts