The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the whole shtick here so much. So many awesome moments right from the beginning. Some of my favorites begin at 0:51 and 4:43.

Stay tuned for more vids kids.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This one is real sweet. I like how in his Grammy acceptance speech he thanks his childhood neighbour - the girl that got him into guitar.

·
Registered
24,380 Posts
I like Matt Sweeney's Guitar Moves with Blake Mills. Mills is a terrific player. Extremely versatile and tasteful. I wish he'd record more.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I posted this in another thread but in case it was missed it's a great example of what skill, technique and talent has over the brand of gear you play.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
^^ I remember that video and in particular the auto wah technique he uses. Since I play acoustic as well, and hold the pick very low so that both my pick and thumb will hit the string together, I decided to try it. I couldn't get the auto wah thing down, but I applied it to the 12 string and am getting awfully close to full on Phaser sounds with it now. More than normal for a 12 string anyways. Really cool trick. I might have to post it once it's down pat.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mills is a terrific player
I first heard him on a Fender promotional video:

Then one of my favorite slide players, Joey Landreth, mentioned him on the Pedal Show in a very complimentary way causing me to dive into his music some more:

·
Registered
24,380 Posts
Yeah, Landreth is a very soulful slide player. He needs to get himself a Coodercaster like Mills uses. Horseshoe pickups seem to have a kind of sensitivity that lets one wring more out of a string over a longer period. A horseshoe pickup and harmonic tremolo would keep me happy for days on end. The Waterslide guitar show at last year's and this year's NAMM is the perfect tool for him. AFAIK, Lollar is the only one making horseshoe replicas these days, and even there on only a limited basis.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Horseshoe pickups seem to have a kind of sensitivity that lets one wring more out of a string over a longer period
I'd never heard of these! Now I really want to play one. I wonder how hard it would be to build one of those pickups?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found a good clear demo of a Tele style Coodercaster with that lap steel pickup using slide:

·
Registered
24,380 Posts
I'd never heard of these! Now I really want to play one. I wonder how hard it would be to build one of those pickups?
Very. That's why Lollar isn't cranking them out like sausages. Essentially the bent metal starts under the coil, and then after the bend, goes over the strings. That makes the portion over top of the strings the opposite polarity to the top of the polepieces themselves. In other words, the top of the polepieces in the coil might be north, and their bottom south. Since the part of the pickup that gets folded carries the polarity from the bottom, the string sits between north and south. If it wiggles side to side, it's no different than a regular pickup. But when it wiggles up and down (which a string normally does anyway) it is sensed by the polepieces AND the folded portion. That results in a greater sensitivity. More is discussed here: Horseshoe pickups: what do they do that's "different"?

But isn't that just one of the most delicious sounds you've ever heard? I'm sure there's a bit of compression on it, but you can compress just about anything else you want and it still won't sound like that.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really like how the figured maple looks like a topo map and that really complements the river flowing down the middle of it:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts