The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a very cool larrivee L25 12 string from 1988 that's in really great condition but the action is a bit high. Usually I would do this myself but given the age (and cost) of this one I'd rather go to a pro.

Does anyone know a good luthier in the Oakville/Halton region?

Also - how cool is that seahorse on the headstock?

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
That looks very similar to mine. When I emailed the serial number to Larrivee they told me it was an L42 built in the winter of 1981/82 in Victoria. If you use the web form on their web site they will email you what they know about it. I can’t help you with a luthier in your area but I can say mine plays and sounds as good as it looks.
Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments String instrument

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks very similar to mine. When I emailed the serial number to Larrivee they told me it was an L42 built in the winter of 1981/82 in Victoria. If you use the web form on their web site they will email you what they know about it. I can’t help you with a luthier in your area but I can say mine plays and sounds as good as it looks.
View attachment 234230
That's a beauty guitar. I really love anything they made in the 80s. What's on the headstock?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Why can't you just try sanding down the saddle a tiny bit. Maybe tighten the truss rod a tad.
Should be pretty easy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you have a Larrivee truss rod wrench, and if not, does the guitar have a serial number lower than 40000?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why can't you just try sanding down the saddle a tiny bit. Maybe tighten the truss rod a tad.
Should be pretty easy
This is what I normally do with my guitars but I'd feel more comfortable having a professional do this one. Also the bridge needs a reglue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have a Larrivee truss rod wrench, and if not, does the guitar have a serial number lower than 40000?
Yes the wrench for this one is different than the typical larrivee truss rod - it's the older model. The serial number is model type (25) then in the 7000s.

·
Registered
482 Posts
This is what I normally do with my guitars but I'd feel more comfortable having a professional do this one. Also the bridge needs a reglue.
Whichever tech you choose is most likely going to tweak the truss rod himself so why not give it a try yourself? If it's seized, obviously stop but if it's moving easily --- him doing it or you doing it doesn't make any difference.

I wouldn't glue the bridge if you don't have the proper clamps but if you have the correct truss rod wrench....give it a shot yourself. One day somewhere in the future you're probably gonna have to do it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Whichever tech you choose is most likely going to tweak the truss rod himself so why not give it a try yourself? If it's seized, obviously stop but if it's moving easily --- him doing it or you doing it doesn't make any difference.

I wouldn't glue the bridge if you don't have the proper clamps but if you have the correct truss rod wrench....give it a shot yourself. One day somewhere in the future you're probably gonna have to do it.
I'm looking for a restaurant recommendation but getting a lot of recipe suggestions. I know I could stay in and make grilled cheese but I like this girl and want to take her somewhere nice. Know what I mean? It's steak tartar time.

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
Fred Gabrsek at Freddy's Frets in Niagara on the Lake

Reactions: Tom Haynes

·
Registered
525 Posts
Seems like reaching for a wrench and turning the truss rod is the answer but it’s not. I am in HAMILTON and I have used Lynn at Mountain Music. She is very knowledgeable and respected in the HAMILTON music scene. The 12th Fret in Toronto would be my go to place for everything guitar if I were closer. I have bought guitars there and the service is fantastic.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I was told t Lynn retired? I wound up going to Dave Reaume in Toronto. Did a great job at a very reasonable price. You can check out his work on youtube channel. He makes repairs interesting

Dave's World of Fun Stuff

·
Registered
525 Posts
I was told t Lynn retired? I wound up going to Dave Reaume in Toronto. Did a great job at a very reasonable price. You can check out his work on youtube channel. He makes repairs interesting

Dave's World of Fun Stuff
Retired?? She may have won a lottery but she’s pretty young to retire! I think I will drop by and find out.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Retired?? She may have won a lottery but she’s pretty young to retire! I think I will drop by and find out.
When I went to Mountain Music in late 2017 i think, that is we all were told. Not enough money in it for her so she retired. Please let me know if that is wrong because it saves me driving to Toronto

1 - 18 of 18 Posts