The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i just installed a set of tex mex single coils. Im having a tough time trying to tune the last 3 high strings. its got very poor sustain and the notes just fades out. I was wondering if theres anything wrong with the poles? thanks

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
First fix your saddle height. Then out the pickup MUCH lower, and then go from there

this might help:

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
What is the reason for having the saddle so tilted?

View attachment 324354
I've seen this so many times. It is often the result of someone thinking they need to do that to help the strings match the radius of the fretboard. Pretty funny. Some inexperienced "techs" do this too.

The sustain issue is likely the pickup too close to the strings. Tex mex pickups require a lower setting- 4/32 bass 3/32 treble with string fretted at last fret.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I've seen this so many times. It is often the result of someone thinking they need to do that to help the strings match the radius of the fretboard. Pretty funny. Some inexperienced "techs" do this too.
You lost me here. If you set each edge action, you're following the radius of the neck with the other strings correct ?

·
Registered
12,422 Posts
You lost me here. If you set each edge action, you're following the radius of the neck with the other strings correct ?
He's referring to post #5 where the saddle in sitting on an angle.

Individual saddles should sit perpendicular to the surface of the guitar.
Each pair of grub screws should be adjusted the same amount on each saddle.

They follow the radius of the neck in height only, no need to slant the saddle.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
He's referring to post #5 where the saddle in sitting on an angle.

Individual saddles should sit perpendicular to the surface of the guitar.
Each pair of grub screws should be adjusted the same amount on each saddle.

They follow the radius of the neck in height only, no need to slant the saddle.
Thanks, well articulated :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi all! i brought the guitar to a tech and everything seems to be fine now! i think single coil pickups are too new to me, the past years ive been only playing on humbuckers and active pickups. Just because the bridge pickup doesnt sustain like humbuckers i thought there was something wrong. The tech said “dude, these are single coil pickups, unless you switch to the 4th position with the neck and bridge” But thank you all for your time to help!
5FF65F4E-B744-455F-9019-97C1B16C33D1.jpeg

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Hi all! i brought the guitar to a tech and everything seems to be fine now! i think single coil pickups are too new to me, the past years ive been only playing on humbuckers and active pickups. Just because the bridge pickup doesnt sustain like humbuckers i thought there was something wrong. The tech said “dude, these are single coil pickups, unless you switch to the 4th position with the neck and bridge” But thank you all for your time to help! View attachment 324699 View attachment 324699
Those saddles!! Must avert my eyes..

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
What is it about those saddles that is making you want to avert your eyes?
I'm curious and totally missing something.
Thanks in advance.
They're set up so that the ones on the outside are tilted and become more perpendicular in the middle. You want the pressure to be even on both adjustment feet of each saddle- all perpendicular. It's just one of those things that drive me nutz- pet peeve.

·
Premium Member
18,397 Posts
They're set up so that the ones on the outside are tilted and become more perpendicular in the middle. You want the pressure to be even on both adjustment feet of each saddle- all perpendicular. It's just one of those things that drive me nutz- pet peeve.
Ahhh...I see it now. Thanks.
I was only on my first coffee and not paying close enough attention.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts