The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else thought of using these foam type tubes to protect the contact sections of your guitar stands?
The tube itself is in the middle of the pic and I get them at Home Depot.
G.
DSC07138.JPG
DSC07139.JPG

DSC07139.JPG

Reactions: mawmow
L

·
0 Posts
Plumbing insulation.
I also think the same thing when I'm in the basement and happen to look at the pipes with that stuff on them.
Never got around to doing it yet. lol.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
I wonder if that foam may be reactive with some finishes though. The rubber on one of my stands disintegraed a whiel back and I ripped it off and recovered with heat shrink just so it is not bare metal.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Nitro finish and maybe other types of finish are at risk from the type of foam that the stands usually have on them from the factory. I use socks on all my stands - there may be better options that would look better but socks are an easy solution.

·
Registered
12,269 Posts
hercules stands say they are nitro safe. i know that the ones i had were super stable, and well constructed. i didn't have them but about 3 years, so i don't know what they might do over a really long period of time. but in the 3 yrs or so that i had mine, i loved them. i have yet to see anything else i like as well or better.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
There was a think tank about this on the AGF a good few years ago and as I recall some of the cognoscenti maintained that Hurcules stands also left marks on their guitars. You’d expect to hear that from some of them no matter what but I just decided not to risk it on any stands with plastic or foam on them. I got banned offa the AGF long ago and haven’t been back since; not sure why but I might have made some uncharitable remarks about James Taylor or Vegans or tofu or something like that.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I play Teles, so I'm more worried about protecting the things they contact, than protecting them. Tele stands are for your safety, not theirs.
Yeah Teles are way better than a tire iron for self defence; it’s a good idea to keep one beside the bed and in the truck. Some kind of rack would be good so you could store a Tele across the back window of a pickup.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
On the recommendation of my local guitar shop, I replaced the crumbling rubber tubing on a couple of stands with clear food-grade tubing that I got at Canadian Tire. I don't have anything with a delicate finish, but apparently it should be safe.

Edit:
IMG_3303.JPG

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Never thought of weapoonizing my Tele. Have to keep it in mind if anyone breaks into our house. Thanks for the idea.

As to the thread, I just use the Hercules stand and wall hangers. I don't think the stands will do anything worse to the Nitro on my LP that I haven't already done over time.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I use duct tape to make a U channel. Within that channel I put some folded paper towel. Takes five minutes to make and stops the guitar from sliding around. And duct tape won't eat nitro cause duct tape cures all lol

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Nitro finish and maybe other types of finish are at risk from the type of foam that the stands usually have on them from the factory. I use socks on all my stands - there may be better options that would look better but socks are an easy solution.
I have some foam tubing on my guitar stand. Actually it’s foam from mini rollers because the protective covers that came with the stand were junk. I have noticed that nothing has happened to my SG which happens to have a nitrocellulose finish. It’s in direct contact with my guitar daily, actually two years since I did this to fix my guitar stand.

P

·
0 Posts
There was a think tank about this on the AGF a good few years ago and as I recall some of the cognoscenti maintained that Hurcules stands also left marks on their guitars. You’d expect to hear that from some of them no matter what but I just decided not to risk it on any stands with plastic or foam on them. I got banned offa the AGF long ago and haven’t been back since; not sure why but I might have made some uncharitable remarks about James Taylor or Vegans or tofu or something like that.
You deserved it.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yup, that stuff will eat/melt a nitro finish, so if you have any old stuff that might be nitro probably want to use something else.
Craft store felt is easy to shape and sew into nice padding.
Comon folks ...lets not get crazy OK.
Just because I got that tubing from inside a Nuclear waste barrel at Home depot they did give me a free Hazmat suit to handle it.
By the way ...all my guitars glow in the dark these days and I think that's a good thing.

Bottom line, every one is entitled to do what they think is best for their equipment.
G.
8228117331_35af670184_b.jpg

1 - 20 of 39 Posts