The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Watch the vid below and tell me if you can relate to any of these kinds of persons. Any kind of musician snobbery you experience.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I once played with a guy who was in love with George Thorogood. If we played anything else, he would stop dead in his tracks and then start into one of George’s songs. I walked out of there just fuming. I decided to accommodate this ass and try to keep up with his songs just playing rhythm but the more I played the more pissed I got. I just had to leave.

You know how much I love to play ACDC but you can’t always be a one trick pony.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Was in a band for ages with a dude who was so superior due to his better knowledge of theory. Never believed me that he was dropping a beat in the turnaround of one of his originals. I learned to compensate and years later when we got a different bassist ( with more theory chops than him) and that new guypointed out the exact same thing, I had a good rofl ( and then told him that I been playing it like that for years and I ain't switching it up now).

Similar thing when we were doing a Toots Hibbert cover. I wanted to shorten the bridge from ' give it to me 1/2/3/4 time' to just 1 and 3 and he was all like, ' but 2 is after 1; you can't do that.' We went to a
Toots concert a few months later and he did 1/2/3/10 time and I turned to my guitarist with the biggest grin on my face and he was just like 'this proves nothing'

·
Registered
632 Posts
"Noodley-MacNoodleton", that's awesome! Tried to get a band off the ground a few years ago, but the bass player was always, always, always noodling! It drove everyone nuts! He was a really good guitar player, but an even better bass player, which is one of the hardest spots to fill, but, he really wanted to play guitar. What did he do??? Noodle every chance he got! Should have called that project DOA!

Reactions: Lola

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
i dunno, i think the guy has a point though, when he talks about some of the time, perception is not reality. i noticed the confidence thing even in myself. when people ask what kind of guitar i play. i feel funny saying "studio pro". as if i am somehow trying to be sure the other person understands it's not just a studio. but i didn't name it, so, it's in my head. the truth is, there has never been a time when someone else has played it and didn't smile after a few seconds because it plays so well, and feels really good. but i still find myself suppressing a cringe when i say "pro" after studio.

·
Registered
15,199 Posts
I have certainly encountered the Curmudgeon--and I am an anti-Curmudgeon...

Although I have encountered most of the types he listed, at least partially.

Fortunately most of the guitar players I have encountered are not any of the snob types he listed

Reactions: Lola

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
I’ve always tried to accommodate and make people feel welcome. Music has come easy to me ( which has nothing to do with my own effort and everything to do with the talent God gave me. )

I often enjoyed being in the presence of better players. That said regardless of the player I have a little time for people who like to argue or assume when it comes to music. The great part about it is you hear can’t lie and, if you record your jams, when there’s an error you can always listen to later.

When I was on tour in Spain for four years, I had a bassist from Cuba who was quite good. he would often try to talk about why a certain theory point was right. many times he would end up with his foot in his mouth. I just let him talk. Funny that he was one of the causes the bands break up but I was done anyway.

I love jamming with everybody

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What makes me a tad upset is when ppl play a song and you know it’s wrong and you try to point it out to them in a very non threatening way and they feel they have to argue their point. When I pointed out a particular mistake that an ex member was making and played the song on my phone for him he said I will do it “my” way and does it really matter? There was no winning this so I just let it slide. His version sounded so shitty though.

There’s always room to adapt the song to your particular taste and your style of playing but when it sounds so out of place and not conducive to song being played then I have to voice my opinion.

Playing this song with him always made me cringe. I just kept quiet and took one for the team anyways.

·
Premium Member
8,557 Posts
that's one of my fav sabbath songs. your version must have been interesting.
I wasn't really trying to do it, he just had it on an EVH style setting. I liked it though.

Yeah, that song is my fav, until I hear another old sabbath tune. so good.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
"Noodley-MacNoodleton", that's awesome! Tried to get a band off the ground a few years ago, but the bass player was always, always, always noodling! It drove everyone nuts! He was a really good guitar player, but an even better bass player, which is one of the hardest spots to fill, but, he really wanted to play guitar. What did he do??? Noodle every chance he got! Should have called that project DOA!
Was his name Mark? Had the same thing. We used to cal him 50 take Mark - he'd nail it on the first, but then spend the next 50 trying different things before finally just playing it straight up again. Eventually we learned to not give him a practice take and just hit record straight away, cuz otherwise we'd be there all day.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't often play with other people, or hell, even around other people. But the times I have, I've been pretty lucky I guess. I'm extremely easy going and so have everyone else I've ever played with.

I waste my fair share of time online arguing with elitists online though.. Not sure why, I like to think it's nothing more than curing boredom but I'm sure there's more to it.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I really have to watch my self with this behavior. Its like a nervous tic or tourettes or something. My fingers are always moving. Practices or sound check are situations that I have to watch my self. As soon as I realize I'm doing it I turn the guitar volume right off.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
he's got a good point about perception & interpretation

that said, musicians are notorious for having all kinds of personality quirks

heck, all artists & creative people are

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lisa just posted that she doesn't care for Kiss on a good day - let alone at 7:30am on a Sunday. He was rockin' Detroit Rock City.

His new infatuation is old Kiss. It's pretty awesome.
Does he like “Lick it up”?

If not, suggest it because it is so much fun to play.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts