The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple hours to kill in Manhattan in the near future and thought checking out a couple guitar shops would be a good use of my time. Anyone have any recommendations? Let me know what one or two shops you'd visit and why. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I don't remember the names of them, but there's a bunch across the middle of Lower Manhattan, like bleeker St / Washington SQ area over to the East Village. Also some good record shops etc.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
You'll waste a lot of time between stores without a clear plan, Unless walking around the Village and Soho is enjoyable to you. Some of the stores are just plain vanilla guitars shops and some are special. Most have interior pix on the web, so you can get a bit of the vibe from them:

-Carmine Street Guitars, 42 Carmine St. in the Village
Rick Kelly's shop, Very cool, odd place, home of Kelly Guitars, which are …different. His F-style necks make Fender Nocaster necks look like little wanker toothpick necks. Highly recommend.

-Matt Umanov Guitars, 273 Bleecker St - famous, but Matt stopped giving a damn years ago and now it's just a stupid, boring guitar store for geezer tourists IMO. Anything interesting is behind glass. Very close to Carmine St. If you must go, get pizza at John's Pizza across the street.

-Rudy's, at 461 Broome St. in Soho - If you like archtops, go check out the second floor balcony. If not, don't bother going. The rest of the place is for tourists and suckers, and Rudy is a dick. @12 blocks from Carmine St. If you are into it, wear something vulgar and expensive, like a big Rolex, or $2,000 cowboy boots, and demand to play the D'Angelicos because you are thinking of adding one to your collection. Trust me, this works.

-Rivington Guitars, 73 E 4th St.

-Chelsea Guitars, 224 W 23rd St. if you're into the cultural history related to the Chelsea Hotel

-30th St. Guitars, 34 W 27th St

-Ludlow Guitars, 189 Front Street, Inside Christian Benner Custom - I haven't visited the new location since they moved from…Ludlow St. The old place was great fun, and across the street from Katz's Deli. …mmm...

I recommend Carmine St., then Rudy's if you want to see vintage D'Angelicos and D'Aquistos. Another very fun visit:
-Retrofret Guitars, 233 Butler St. in Brooklyn - a REALLY cool place with plenty of fun guitars.

If you go from Carmine St. to Rivington, walk through Washington Square Park - very slight detour and a great New York place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts