The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You see a Guitar at your Local Music store you want to buy, but before you make the addition, you want to do a subtraction of a guitar(s) to fund some of the cost.
Do you prefer to trade it in on the new purchase at the dealer, ....or do you try and sell it privately.

Thanks for your input.

LB

·
Premium Member
17,302 Posts
Trying to sell it privately should get you a better price than trading it in.

I have sold several guitars and other items through this forum and have had excellent results. In your ad, you can state that you will not ship (if you prefer to avoid that) but will meet "x" distance form your home.

I have also used Kijiji in the past. I stopped in an attempt to retain my sanity.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Definitely sell privately. I traded in one guitar years ago. After hearing a long speech on how no one wanted that style guitar anymore and he could be stuck with it for a long time (it was a 1978 Ibanez Iceman near mint with original case and case candy) I let it go very cheap. Was back in the store a week or so later and noticed it was gone. I asked the guy behind the counter if it sold and he said it was gone the day it came in. He said the store owner had a guy who collected that stuff and one phone call and it was gone. Never did a trade in again after that.

·
Registered
18,559 Posts
I have always sold mine privately.

·
Premium Member
16,783 Posts
Depends how desperate i am and how long i think my gear wil take to sell. 99% of the time its a private sale.

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
I have never failed to sell a guitar privately in the last ten years. If you don't mind buying now and even waiting to recoup the money over the next couple months, I don't see a problem. If you are worried about a couple months credit card interest, you will MORE than get your money back by selling privately than trading in.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
There’s going to be a guitar show and sale here in September.

I suspect they happen more often in Ontario, I know the Elmira one just happened a couple of months ago.

It would be great if they ran 3 times a year, like April, July, September.

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
I have never failed to sell a guitar privately in the last ten years. If you don't mind buying now and even waiting to recoup the money over the next couple months, I don't see a problem. If you are worried about a couple months credit card interest, you will MORE than get your money back by selling privately than trading in.
by my experience, this is very sound advice

·
Premium Member
8,477 Posts
Definitely sell privately. I traded in one guitar years ago. After hearing a long speech on how no one wanted that style guitar anymore and he could be stuck with it for a long time (it was a 1978 Ibanez Iceman near mint with original case and case candy) I let it go very cheap. Was back in the store a week or so later and noticed it was gone. I asked the guy behind the counter if it sold and he said it was gone the day it came in. He said the store owner had a guy who collected that stuff and one phone call and it was gone. Never did a trade in again after that.
I would have used the bathroom and shit right on the floor.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
I do both. I'll bring something in to see how much I'll get for trade value, and how much they will sell it for. Take it home and try to sell it for a bit, if it doesn't I'll trade it in. I'm ok with less if it comes off the taxable price rather than deal with kijiji idiots.

Though my wife would argue that I tell her I'm going to sell something but then I don't, by the look of the living room.

P

·
0 Posts
I would buy used as well as sell your guitar yourself. Save the taxes, get a big price discount...

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
ALWAYS sold privately through eBay, them reverb. Sellers were all canadians.

Never tried to sell through Kijiji... don't want too many people at my door...

Wondered about consignment... could get better price selling privately.

This year, I had to lower my prices more than ever before and one of the three guitars I put on the market is still mine after three months, which means to me the market is going down for 1-2k$ acoustics (new ones 3500$).

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I think there is a glut of used guitars/pedals/amps on the market.
Used prices are falling and new prices are rising.
I think a buyer should look at used guitars unless you need/want something out of the ordinary.
There are plenty of deals to be had.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I think there is a glut of used guitars/pedals/amps on the market.
Used prices are falling and new prices are rising.
I think a buyer should look at used guitars unless you need/want something out of the ordinary.
There are plenty of deals to be had.
This is true. One has to be patient and one can get good deals. The only drawback is you don't get to "shop" for the guitar, so to speak. I've bought a few used guitars that ended up not doing it for me. The good thing with used is, you can usually recoup your money.

With the new guitars I've bought, I've actually had a higher ratio of keeping them (I still buy and sell too many). The ability to try the guitar a few times and compare it to others during the process has helped, I think.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Selling on kijiji etc. you have to price the axe to sell. You can still get more than trading it in, and the person who buys it will probably have been looking every day. The better the price, the fewer kij-idiots you'll have to deal with. Having said that, I've had nothing but pleasant dealings with kijiji folks-buying and selling.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Selling on kijiji etc. you have to price the axe to sell. You can still get more than trading it in, and the person who buys it will probably have been looking every day. The better the price, the fewer kij-idiots you'll have to deal with. Having said that, I've had nothing but pleasant dealings with kijiji folks-buying and selling.
Exactly, you have to price it to sell. If there is an identical item listed nearby for (IE)$300 and that was also my initial idea of a price I will list mine at $275 even if it's in better shape. Or list something for $300, hope for $300 but expect $275 out of it. I recently sold an original 2003 RG370DX recently serviced and set up plus a gigbag and a like-new BOSS pedal for $220. The buyer was happy and so was I.

I too have had a lot of pleasant transactions on Kijiji when it comes to guitars. Most recently I went to Montreal to meet up with a seller and take one of their guitars. It was a nice trip to Montreal and I got a killer axe.

I have bought and sold a lot of stuff using Kijiji. I used to have about 200 items (mostly collectibles) listed simultaneously and sometimes the contact messages can be absurd. If by the third message you don't have a meeting place/timeframe set up, that thread is probably best moved to the trash bin.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,100 Posts
I only buy used gear 99% of the time and I wait for deals. So I explore both options, I check with L&M to see what trade value is and and compare that to what I would ask for it. If the difference is minimal then I typically trade just to avoid kijiji morons or shipping. Taking a loss now and then doesn't bother me if it makes things painless and convenient.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
The heart wants what the heart wants. I've promised to quit smoking, twice, to justify a snap guitar purchase.
I don't sell anymore, but when I buy it has to be too good to pass on. It also has to be something I really want. Every axe I have fills a niche. I sold, through kijiji, a 2007 Epiphone Dot Studio, all original, Tomato. I had it filed, re-tooled and dialed. I did a record with it. When I got my 2011 335 I decided to thin the herd. I put it up on K with pictures, and dude came and got it next day. He said it was for his wife, and I said good luck. That was nice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts