The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never shipped a guitar before, but have recently had someone down in the US purchase my 339.
I'm hoping some folks with experience shipping, especially across the border could chime in.
My plan is to contact L&M and see if they have any spare boxes from guitars they've received, stick it in the case and shove 'er in. Put a bit of packing so the case can't move and sticker the hell out of it with fragile stickers.

Any other input would be appreciated.

I know I've seen threads on this before, but they were so long ago that coming up with the relevant search terms is proving a little challenging.

·
Registered
11,820 Posts
The 339 should be snug in a fitted case, but I still like to isolate the headstock with bubble wrap.
Make sure that there's no movement of the guitar within the case.

No movement of the case within the box and you should be good.

I have no experience shipping out of the country though, wouldn't you need a CITES certificate now?

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
As Sulphur said, it's critical to isolate and support the headstock (especially with a Gibby). I would also take some tension off the strings but not loose.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I have never shipped a guitar before, but have recently had someone down in the US purchase my 339.
I'm hoping some folks with experience shipping, especially across the border could chime in.
My plan is to contact L&M and see if they have any spare boxes from guitars they've received, stick it in the case and shove 'er in. Put a bit of packing so the case can't move and sticker the hell out of it with fragile stickers.

Any other input would be appreciated.

I know I've seen threads on this before, but they were so long ago that coming up with the relevant search terms is proving a little challenging.
Fragile stickers translate in UPS speak to "Kick me, drop me".:D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thoughts, I will definitely add some support for the headstock, and loosening the strings is a great idea.
As for CITES, I'm going to have to look into that, being blissfully unaware may not be enough...

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I used to sell a lot to the US, but not any more. I wouldn't take the chance without the proper CITES documents. It for sure has a rosewood board.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'm happy to say that the guitar arrived on the other end with no hassles at all and no ship loose headstock.
I ended up just letting 'er buck at customs with regards to CITES, I did email them to try and get information (got no response) and I even tried calling them (number was busy every time I tried, no hold, just busy...) but due to lack of interest on their part, I figured it was all good. And apparently it was.

Sold it through Reverb and the guy was great to deal with, he even ended up calling to chat and say thank you personally for the deal on the guitar and how pleased he was with it.
So overall happy ending, well except that I don't have the guitar anymore...

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I have a guitar I am also thinking about selling on reverb.
What did you put in the description on the customs form? I was just going to put "Guitar made in USA"

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just wrote "guitar", when I went to write that the country of origin was the USA the people at the post office just told me not to bother. Mind you it was shipped in a Gibson box, that had Gibson USA plastered all over it.
I think the moral of the story is very much "Your mileage may vary"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts