The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody
A few years ago I started doing my own setups. Reason being I was not getting the results from the local Luthiers.
Now I want to be clear this is not about bad workmanship. The people I dealt with were great. I just wanted some conformity between my guitars.
I have 4 acoustic and one archtop. Three of my guitars play like butter to my fingers this was after spending countless amount of hours to set them up.
I have used the Internet to get a good grasp on the basics.

My problem is even though I have set them all up as close to one another, still two of them just don't have the feel I want.
It is my understanding that the pro's have people who travel with them and they do setups that are measured to the individuals liking. There is a book with some of the Entertainers measurements. They are able to move from one guitar to the other with no issues about setup.

My question is. Are there some makes of guitars that just you cannot get right because the intonation and neck relief will never be achieved between guitars?
I hope I am making sense!
Your opinions please!

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
You are making sense. Every guitar is different so every guitar will feel different. I do most of my own setups as well but I am lucky to have a really good luthier local to me when I can't get things exactly as I want them. I've learned you can usually make a guitar feel better for your playing style but you will never get them all to feel the same. For me that is part of why I have several guitars. I like that they are all different. If you find a particular guitar that can't be setup so that it is comfortable for you it is time to get rid of that guitar.

·
Registered
755 Posts
If you find a particular guitar that can't be setup so that it is comfortable for you it is time to get rid of that guitar.
Yeah, send it to me, I'm 100% sure it will be set up right for me.

But indeed, different guitars, different feels. If you want the same feel from one to the other, the only (maybe) sure way is to have identical guitars.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
what is it that you like/ dislike between guitars...they may have different scale lengths,finger board radius etc....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are making sense. Every guitar is different so every guitar will feel different. I do most of my own setups as well but I am lucky to have a really good luthier local to me when I can't get things exactly as I want them. I've learned you can usually make a guitar feel better for your playing style but you will never get them all to feel the same. For me that is part of why I have several guitars. I like that they are all different. If you find a particular guitar that can't be setup so that it is comfortable for you it is time to get rid of that guitar.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe your right! I have given 4 guitars away in the a past not cheap guitars either. Peavey Ovation and a Couple of Fenders.
The guitar in question is a Seagull Folk. Fingers just don't glide over the fret board very smoothly.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Coastline Cedar Folk QIT close to a 24 3/4" scale. based on a classical guitar and aimed at finger style players. to me that suggests a little wider width at the nut and in the string spacing, and perhaps a flatter fingerboard radius.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I've seen mention in a forum of an instance (Coastline model) where the neck angle may result in need of a thicker bridge or taller saddle.
New Seagull, is neck angle bad? - The Acoustic Guitar Forum

I think its fair to say that even within a single model, there may be tolerances that can affect variations in feel.
As the other forum mentions, have a look at the projection of the neck surface over to the bridge.
( beyond the 12th fret, is your action still rising ? )

If you've changed string gauge, you may also change feel, and intonation.
A good article here on string break angles and tension that I found enlightening for me.
Guitar strings tension

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seen mention in a forum of an instance (Coastline model) where the neck angle may result in need of a thicker bridge or taller saddle.
New Seagull, is neck angle bad? - The Acoustic Guitar Forum

I think its fair to say that even within a single model, there may be tolerances that can affect variations in feel.
As the other forum mentions, have a look at the projection of the neck surface over to the bridge.
( beyond the 12th fret, is your action still rising ? )

If you've changed string gauge, you may also change feel, and intonation.
A good article here on string break angles and tension that I found enlightening for me.
Guitar strings tension
Well I'm not surprised the information you posted was from a master luthier. I have seen his videos before.
Thanks for the links.Very informative!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts